Mount WOndabyne Camping Site

NSW & ACT specific bushwalking discussion.
Forum rules
NSW & ACT specific bushwalking discussion. Please avoid publishing details of access to sensitive areas with no tracks.

Mount WOndabyne Camping Site

Postby matthewgoodyear » Sat 05 Mar, 2016 10:20 am

Im planning on going from Girrakol picnic area to Mt Wondabyne Campsite and then the next day going back.

I would prefer to drop some water and food at the campsite before i get there...

So any suggestions on the closest i can get to the camp ground with the car? There seems to be very little information on this campground.

I found only one reference that said that they had to park and walk 5km to the Mt WOndabyne peak..but that wasnt very helpful.

I would prefer to not have to carry 10 litres of water if i dodnt have to!
matthewgoodyear
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Region: New South Wales

Re: Mount WOndabyne Camping Site

Postby kjbeath » Sat 05 Mar, 2016 5:31 pm

Water can be obtained at Kariong Brook. May have runoff from the Scout Camp. I wouldn't be optimistic about anything closer to Mt Wondabyne, especially at the moment.

The other alternative is to continue to the Tanks/Rocky Ponds.
kjbeath
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby matthewgoodyear » Sat 05 Mar, 2016 5:49 pm

so i guess it looks like i will be carrying a lot of extra weight then. oh well
matthewgoodyear
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby kjbeath » Sat 05 Mar, 2016 6:00 pm

Kariong Brook is fine enough. I would check the map before drinking it untreated.
kjbeath
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby matthewgoodyear » Sat 05 Mar, 2016 7:18 pm

kjbeath wrote:Kariong Brook is fine enough. I would check the map before drinking it untreated.

sigh.
thanks.
i think i might just do thornleigh to crosslands camp and back again. seems safer in this weather.

Ive never had to carry a large amount of water before. have been able to do drops before..find a nice bush or tree near a campsite, cover a 5 litre container in bushes and away we go.
Ive never gone somewhere where i could get a drop

Guess it time to get out of the sand pit and into the the real world.

tough if i look at distances...Girrakool picnic area to kariong brook is 9.5 km. then its a further 4 km to Mt Wondabyne

So i could collect water and only have to carry it those last 4km to the camp and then have enough to get back to the brook on the way back and then collect water for the journey home.

Im used to carrying extra weight though...last time i walked i was 20kg heavier.
matthewgoodyear
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby skibug » Tue 08 Mar, 2016 10:57 am

Ten minutes prior to reaching Kariong Brook is Myron Brook, which drains from pristine bush and therefore is the better choice for water. Still treat (aquatabs, katadyne etc) for peace of mind. There are also some rock platforms that the trail crosses around half way between Kariong and mt Wondabyne that can have trickles running across them - they did on Sunday.

Carrying ten litres sounds like a lot I'm not sure where you got that number.

The "campsite" at Wonabyne is just the turning circle at the end of the fire trail - pretty scruffy. I would rather camp on the summit itself. Great views.

The great north walk track between Thornleigh and Crosslands has no potable water sources - you would need to walk out to neighbouring streets, and then hope to find a friendly front yard tap.

Skiing.
skibug
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Rob Gosford » Wed 09 Mar, 2016 8:15 am

matthewgoodyear wrote:I would prefer to drop some water and food at the campsite before i get there...
So any suggestions on the closest i can get to the camp ground with the car?

the closest by car is where the old RTA speed camera was on Woy Woy Rd., about 1.5klms south of Staples Lookout. Park at the firetrail gates there where that old RTA camera was. From that point to Mt.Wondabyn (passing the quary), it is almost 4klm and overall relatively flat walking, except where you head on up the wide GNW firetrail - approaching Wondabyne from the southern side.

wouldn't advise hauling that 'drop off' weight up the northern face of Wondy around to the campsite, from the Mullet Creek track tho.

8)
Rob Gosford
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby perfectlydark » Thu 17 Mar, 2016 10:03 am

youd be walking about the same distance from the nearest car accessible spot as you would from Kariong brook. just fill up and treat there. 10l for overnight? i wouldnt do more than 3 personally. thats a lot of water
perfectlydark
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Return to New South Wales & ACT