Hard over-nighters around Sydney

NSW & ACT specific bushwalking discussion.
Forum rules
NSW & ACT specific bushwalking discussion. Please avoid publishing details of access to sensitive areas with no tracks.

Hard over-nighters around Sydney

Postby bushnut » Mon 07 Mar, 2016 10:56 am

Hi All

I am trying to find a very challenging over-nighter within 4hrs of Sydney for some time in June (leaving Friday night and coming back late Sunday). Our group is very fit and can nav but have no canyoning/abseiling experience. We have done Solitary a few times, some parts of Wild Dogs as well as the Castle. We have also done the Corker and multiday snowshoeing in Kozzie and Walls of Jerusalem.

We are looking for something that will really test ourselves, particularly fitness. Some scrambling and off track would also be fun.

Options we are considering are Hatchers Hollow or possibly Ettrema Creek - although we think the Creek might a little cold at that time of year. Any comments from people who have done these?

Any suggestions or advice is really appreciated.

Cheers
bushnut
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Region: New South Wales

Re: Hard over-nighters around Sydney

Postby Mark F » Mon 07 Mar, 2016 12:14 pm

A standard for a hard trip near Sydney is the 3 Peaks in the Blue Mountains - fits all your requirements.
"Perfection is attained not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing more to remove".
Mark F
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: Australian Capital Territory

Postby ribuck » Tue 08 Mar, 2016 8:05 am

...those three peaks being Cloudmaker, Paralyser and Guouogang. Approached from the north, e.g. starting from the locked gate on Narrowneck. Approximately 24 hours of hard walking, obviously depending on your speed.
ribuck
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: Other Country

Postby clarence » Tue 08 Mar, 2016 10:27 am

I would argue that the Three Peaks is best not attempted as a two day trip unless in has been done previously as a longer trip. It is a huge step up from Solitary or the Castle. Ettrema Creek is a very good option, with heaps of routes. There are numerous good options in Nattai, Blue Mts and Shoalhaven. How much off track have you done Bushnut? Another good option is a high traverse of the Wild Dogs then down the chain at the end of Splendour Rock then up the Coxs to Breakfast Creek The beauty of this is that if things don't go to plan there are easy ways of shortening the trip relatively easily.

Clarence
clarence
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Tasmania

Postby skibug » Tue 08 Mar, 2016 10:37 am

Bundeena to North Era return. 35 km or so, beach walking etc.

Medlow Bath or Blackheath to Mt Victoria via Grand Canyon and Bluegum Forest.

Also many combinations of Great North walk sections between Thornleigh and Girakool.

Skibug.
skibug
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby tom_brennan » Tue 08 Mar, 2016 10:54 am

When you say "very fit", what do you mean? I consider myself very fit - compared to the average member of the public. But from the point of view of an experienced bushwalker, not so much.

As Mark F said, there's always the Three Peaks - but that's ~80km in 48 hours. You could also do the Three Peaks starting from Kanangra - which would still be 2 big ups and downs (plus a decent 3rd one).
Bushwalking NSW - http://bushwalkingnsw.com
tom_brennan
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby bushnut » Thu 10 Mar, 2016 1:13 pm

Thanks for the responses everyone...

To answer the questions:
We have done a fair bit of off track but I wouldn't say we are experts - ie we are comfortable doing it (and get there in the end), but are not fast.
We are definitely fitter than your average bear... not sure how to make a good comparison here with an experienced bushwalker?

While the Three Peaks is no doubt really challenging I get the impression its a bit of a rush to do in 48hrs, especially as first timers. We have done part of the Wild Dogs including Splendour Rock but will look into it more.

Will look more into Ettrema to - any suggested routes?
bushnut
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Postby tom_brennan » Thu 10 Mar, 2016 3:31 pm

I'd pass on Ettrema in winter. Much better as a summer trip. But if you want to look at options for routes, see http://bushwalkingnsw.com/walk.php?nid=203

The Three Peaks from Kanangra would be a challenging overnighter. You'd also have to work out where to camp on the first day, given that it would be best to be on either Kanangra Creek (long second day) or Whalania Creek (long first day).

There are any number of walks in the Wild Dogs that can be made challenging by stringing together enough climbs and descents. Most ridges are climbable. For example, this one has spectacular scenery and some scrambling:
http://ozultimate.com/tom/bushwalking/2 ... photos.htm
Bushwalking NSW - http://bushwalkingnsw.com
tom_brennan
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby BenS » Thu 10 Mar, 2016 10:23 pm

Here's one you could try if you're looking for original ideas and are interested in visiting Mt Guouogang: https://www.strava.com/activities/442820488

We did it as a long 16hr day but it would still be a tough overnighter. Probably about 50/50 track/no track. Nav mostly not too bad. Hardest section is finding Guouogang summit and then descending to the cox on Guougang ridge. A mighty 1000m plus descent!
BenS
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby BenS » Thu 10 Mar, 2016 10:31 pm

Tom's Mumbedah walk looks great too! Same area.
BenS
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby BenS » Fri 11 Mar, 2016 12:31 pm

I can also strongly endorse the suggestion of 3 peaks from Kanangra. Its a fantastic walk. Here is a gpx for that one (although the gps gave out before we got back to the road). Doing it this way requires a car shuffle but avoids the need for a 10km road bash along kanagra walls rd.

https://www.strava.com/activities/239405598
BenS
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby bushnut » Fri 11 Mar, 2016 8:12 pm

Great suggestions everyone - thanks!

I didn't check replies today but have been doing research into the three peaks from Kanangra. Happy to hear that its good option!

Appreciate the gps route BenS, very helpful.
bushnut
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Postby bushnut » Fri 11 Mar, 2016 8:31 pm

Quick question - which way would you recommend doing it? Guouogang first or last?

Also would it be possible to camp on Mt Paralyser or is it too rocky?
bushnut
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Postby DaveNoble » Fri 11 Mar, 2016 9:53 pm

bushnut wrote:Quick question - which way would you recommend doing it? Guouogang first or last?

Yes. Certainly don't do it second!

Most parties would probably go clockwise, as it is probably easier to go up Norroo Buttress on Guouogang than down it. You can camp on Paralyser, but it is probably better to camp further on. A good itinerary is to walk to the Coxs River from Katoomba on the Friday night, Saturday - climb Cloudmaker, then Paralyser, then camp in Whalania Ck or part way up Guouogang or on top (carry up water), the Sunday - climb Guouogang and all the way back to Katoomba.

Dave
DaveNoble
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby BenS » Fri 11 Mar, 2016 10:52 pm

We did cloudmaker first. It's worth it for the morning views as you walk along kanangra walls alone. Also note that in that gps route the ascent of Guouogang was via bullagowar ridge. But from all reports Nooroo buttress is the more spectacular line. Also take car navigating from Guouogang back to the road. It looks easy through the old farmlands on the map but we found that the fire trails marked were inaccurate and they disappeared altogether in the old paddocks and then became quite hard to refind.
BenS
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby bushnut » Sat 12 Mar, 2016 5:28 am

Thanks again BenS. I usually drop the relevant NSW topo map into my gps then overlay it with custom waypoints of the intended route from Six maps. Its not absolutely perfect but it works (I take a compass as back up of course). I'll use this again and plot some extra way points around that area.
bushnut
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Postby BenS » Mon 14 Mar, 2016 10:46 am

Good luck with it Bushnut, its a great area. Let us know how you go!
BenS
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby Pco1 » Mon 14 Mar, 2016 6:17 pm

I'm in the same boat as the thread starter. Looking for something similar however, just moved here and don't have a car. Anythig doable serviced by public transport at both ends? Thanks in advance :)
Pco1
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Postby BenS » Mon 14 Mar, 2016 8:29 pm

Google Mt Solitary ultra marathon. You can do the loop course starting from katoomba or leura train station and would make for a hardish 2 day walk
BenS
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby bushnut » Tue 15 Mar, 2016 12:11 pm

Will do BenS - looking forward to exploring it!
bushnut
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Postby davidf » Tue 15 Mar, 2016 4:16 pm

Pco1 wrote:I'm in the same boat as the thread starter. Looking for something similar however, just moved here and don't have a car. Anythig doable serviced by public transport at both ends? Thanks in advance :)

I dont drive and the train serves me weĺl.

Wild dogs train to toomb town and walk narrow necķ. Lots of north kanangara can be accessed this way.

Kings tableland into erskine creek.

Wollemei from bell station.

Train and bus to lithgow then wang pub and for beer money you get to newnes.

jenolan caves bus
davidf
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby bushnut » Wed 16 Mar, 2016 3:15 pm

This might sound a little crazy but does anyone know if its possible to go from Guouogang to Crandon Falls then up Cams Creek and onto the Fire Trail? I measured the distance from the rd at (very) roughly 11.5 but just not sure about whether its possible terrain wise.

Any advice/thoughts are appreciated!
bushnut
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Postby clarence » Sat 19 Mar, 2016 1:14 pm

Hi Bushnut,

I have done most of that (Crandon Falls, various routes from Mumbedah Creek onto Gouougang etc), but not Cams Creek specifically. Down the creeks is exceptionally spectacular but the area has its fair share of very big drops, waterfalls and canyons, which is not for the inexperienced. Down the spurs/ridges is overall alot easier than the adjacent creeks.

If upper Cams Creek is anything like upper Mumbedah, it is some of the most rugged and challenging terrain in the BLue Mountains. Incredibly spectacular, but maybe not the best idea for some initial off track forays.

I would still suggest something down the Coxs, where you can incorporate a side trip onto Gouougang/Krungle Bungle Range.

Clarence
clarence
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby clarence » Sat 19 Mar, 2016 1:55 pm

Regarding doing the Three Peaks (specifically from the Katoomba end), I would say it is EXCEEDINGLY UNWISE to attempt this in 48 hours if you haven't done the route before.

As an example, I did it as a 48 hour trip with a friend after we had both done it a few times as a longer trip before that. We cycled along Narrowneck, then did the Three Peaks in a clockwise direction, exiting via Krungle Bungle Range, Breakfast Creek and Carlons Head. Weather conditions were perfect, we knew the route very well, made no navigational mistakes and had packs well under 10kg each. We also carried hammocks which allowed us to camp part way up ridges, meaning we didn't need to search for campsites.

It was a very solid weekend of walking. Maybe not the hardest trip I'd ever done, but right up there.

He and I have both completed serious ultramarathons with top five finishes (Cradle Mountain Ultra, Bogong Rooftop Run etc), so we were right up there fitness and speed wise.

Other suggestions (like Bell Station into Wollemi) are also pretty extreme (I say this having done two trips of 8 and 13 days in the area). I'm not saying any of this to be arrogant, just to explain that I have a bit of experience in these places and to put the difficulty in a bit of perspective.

If you are getting in to off track walking, by all means do the Three Peaks from Katoomba as a three or preferably four day trip where you can complete all the navigation in daylight with 8 hour days instead of 12 plus hour days. Once you have done it at a "standard" pace, then you can assess your ability to tackle it in 48 hours.

I would much rather get shot down in flames here, even by very experienced people, than see your enthusiasm get the better of you and ending up in a messy situation. You can always build up to these when you get a bit more experience, and they are great future trips to aim for. Many of the other suggestions are excellent off track adventures, maybe just once you have few more trips under your belt. (To those who posted such trips as suggestions for bushnut, please don't take this as personal- just my opinion).

Clarence
clarence
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby bushnut » Mon 21 Mar, 2016 7:23 am

Thanks Clarence for your wise words. Just to be clear, we aren't attempting to do the Three Peaks from the katoomba side, but from the Kanangra side. And we are not doing them as a loop but as a point to point starting from the lookout and exiting towards the kanangra walls rd after Mt Guouogang. We have about 36hrs to do this.

We will make plans for an exit via krungle bungle or somewhere around Crandon falls. That way we have options depending on our progress.

Thanks again for the great info.
bushnut
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Postby bushnut » Thu 31 Mar, 2016 1:16 pm

Just re-read my last post and what I should have said was about 50hrs not 36 - we have managed to get an extension on our trip ;)
bushnut
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Return to New South Wales & ACT