Funnels Pass? (Shoalhaven River)

NSW & ACT specific bushwalking discussion.
Forum rules
NSW & ACT specific bushwalking discussion. Please avoid publishing details of access to sensitive areas with no tracks.

Funnels Pass? (Shoalhaven River)

Postby Lizzy » Sun 13 Mar, 2016 9:39 am

Just wondering if anyone has been up Funnels Pass from the Shoalhaven to Cauora? Just thinking of another loop to do and wanting to know what the going is like? Any tips etc....
Cheers
Lizzy
Lizzy
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: New South Wales

Re: Funnels Pass? (Shoalhaven River)

Postby clarence » Tue 15 Mar, 2016 10:16 pm

I have done it several times. Very good route, with a formed track most of the way, including a few switchbacks in the upper part through the cliffline.

It may be overgrown since I did it several years ago, but I can't envisage the scrub would have become excessively thick. Biggest issue is that from its uppermost point where it traverses the cliff line, it is mainly private property to the east.

In years gone by it appears that the track has been used for surveying by waterboard or similar. This is one of the few (only?) places where there is a pass through the cliff line on the N side of the Shoalhaven Gorge for several km. There are two other "routes" in from the N at Bullangalong Creek and a spur more or less N of Canoe Flat, but both of these are exceedingly more difficult going than Funnels Pass.

If you want some good loop walks (overnighters), there are heaps of options using passes on the south side of the gorge (about 6x passes between Rotten Creek and Tumbledown Point). The passes at Split Rock Point, the head of Rotten Creek and behind Billy Bulloos Crown are all well worth a look (PM for more details, as they can be tricky to find without detailed info). This part of the Shoalhaven offers some of the best off track wilderness walking you will find anywhere.

Clarence

Clarence
clarence
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Tasmania

Postby Lizzy » Wed 16 Mar, 2016 6:00 am

Thanks Clarence :) I will get the maps out tonight and check out those options.
Cheers
Lizzy
Lizzy
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby jeremy089786 » Sat 10 Sep, 2016 4:33 pm

Indeed, this would make an excellent overnighter!

Heading on the Badgerry's run tomorrow (come along?) but would love to explore this part in the future. Let me know if you have had any luck/ plan a trip!

All the best,

Jeremy.
jeremy089786
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: WilderWheels

Postby Lizzy » Sun 11 Sep, 2016 1:11 pm

Hey Jeremy,
Didn't end up doing this yet- stuck to Matodoro to Longs.
Hope your paddle on the w/e went well. Would have liked to have gotten down there but the stars didn't align...
Cheers
Lizzy
Lizzy
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Return to New South Wales & ACT