Cowombat Flat / Source of the Murray / Pilot

NSW & ACT specific bushwalking discussion.
Forum rules
NSW & ACT specific bushwalking discussion. Please avoid publishing details of access to sensitive areas with no tracks.

Cowombat Flat / Source of the Murray / Pilot

Postby oyster_07 » Sun 13 Mar, 2016 7:36 pm

I'm looking at overnighting at Cowombat Flat and heading north along the AAWT. I will visit The Pilot and also the source of the Murray River.

Does anyone have any thoughts on the better route?

Is the AAWT route on Pilot Creek Trail and Snowgum Trail (along Cowombat Ridge) towards The Pilot any more desirable than heading east then north along Cowombat Trail (aka: Tin Mine Track) directly under The Pilot?

The former is longer and would entail backtracking from the source of the Murray, but is it worthwhile over the more direct route?

Thanks in advance.
oyster_07
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Victoria

Re: Cowombat Flat / Source of the Murray / Pilot

Postby Mark F » Sun 13 Mar, 2016 8:08 pm

The AAWT (working N to S) turns off the Cowombat FT onto the Snow Gum FT and thence to Cowombat Flat.

In my planning for the AAWT (N-S) next spring I am intending to leave the route near the FT junction and climb Little Pilot then over The Pilot and follow the ridge south down to the source of the Murray, Forest Hill marker etc. before arriving at Cowombat Flat. As I am unaware of the scrub factor on the ridge I felt it was easier to scrub bash down the the ridge from The Pilot to Forest Hill rather than up it. THe other option was to follow the normal route and do two side trips, one up The Pilot and second to Forest Hill etc.

If at Cowombat Flat walk up either Cowombat or Snow Gum FT to their northern junction and then follow the route above.
"Perfection is attained not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing more to remove".
Mark F
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: Australian Capital Territory

Postby oyster_07 » Sun 13 Mar, 2016 8:11 pm

Mark F wrote:In my planning for the AAWT (N-S) next spring...

I'll be heading south-north in November. Maybe I'll see you along the way.
oyster_07
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Mark F » Sun 13 Mar, 2016 8:27 pm

I thought you may be doing a loop trip into the area rather than an AAWT trip. From the south you may find it best to follow the Cowombat FT from Cowombat Flat, do a short side trip to Forest Hill. If you head up the ridge to The Pilot it is most probably scrubby lower down but there are no doubt plenty of brumby tracks to follow once you get a bit higher - just need to keep an eye on the navigation.
"Perfection is attained not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing more to remove".
Mark F
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: Australian Capital Territory

Postby oyster_07 » Sun 13 Mar, 2016 8:34 pm

I agree and am leaning towards this route up Cowombat Trail along the western side of the ridge. I'll then deviate to The Pilot and the rejoin the AAWT to the NW of The Pilot. The route is more direct and is shorter than retracing to the AAWT-proper, but this is not a concern.
oyster_07
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby north-north-west » Mon 14 Mar, 2016 10:48 am

Mark F wrote:I thought you may be doing a loop trip into the area rather than an AAWT trip. From the south you may find it best to follow the Cowombat FT from Cowombat Flat, do a short side trip to Forest Hill. If you head up the ridge to The Pilot it is most probably scrubby lower down but there are no doubt plenty of brumby tracks to follow once you get a bit higher - just need to keep an eye on the navigation.

There's a lot of regrowth and fallen timber on the lower areas, but by now it should have some decent brumby pads through it. The spring that starts Indi Creek has always been a popular area for brumbies.
"Mit der Dummheit kämpfen Götter selbst vergebens."
north-north-west
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Social Misfits Anonymous
Region: Tasmania

Postby onward » Thu 26 Jan, 2017 9:47 pm

I am currently in the final stages of planning a NS AAWT trip starting late February. I am hoping a to do Little Pilot,The Pilot, the source of the Murray, Forest Hill then either off track directly to Mt Cobberas 2, Moscow Peak Mt Cobberas 1 before reconnecting with the AAWT or cutting back from Forest Hill to the Cowombat Tk before heading towards Mt Cobberas 2 near Copperhead Ck.
I don't know this area at all.
Two questions:
1. Which is the more hikable option?
2. I have allowed two days and one camp for this side trip, is that realistic?
Thanks
Martin
onward
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby north-north-west » Fri 27 Jan, 2017 6:48 pm

Best route I know of between Cowombat Flat and Cobberas 2 is to follow the other track a little east from the plane wreck, and pick up the main open lead running south east and then south, and then brumby pads up the spur before swinging back more westerly towards the northern end of the mountain. Cobberas 2 high point is at the southern end of the peak, with a northern plateau, a lovely snowgum studded saddle (good camping), and some nice bouldery bits in between. Once you're up on the plateau or saddle, the route south is pretty obvious (unless it's foggy). But the route from the other side, via Cowombat Track, is probably shorter if you just want to get up to the summit.
CowCob.jpg

The red line is part of the circuit I did from the Playground - Cobberas 1, Middle, Cleft, Moscow, Cobberas 2 and down to the Flat on the first day. A long day but I'm *&%$#! slow. The blue line is a creek gully that provides a different ascent option - easy to follow but scrubbier.

When you say two days and one night for the sidetrip, did you mean the whole thing including the Pilot etc, or just the Cobberas section? The Little Pilot/Pilot bit is easy. The lower part, including the flatter ground to the Murray 'source' and Forest Hill, has a lot of regrowth and fallen timber and could be quite slow. Now, the option shown above is easier to pick up from Forest Hill than going all the way around to Copperhead Creek but, timewise . . .
. . . you could probably do the whole thing and get back onto the AAWT in two days, camping up near Cobberas 2 or Moscow, if you don't get held up too much by the yukky stuff around Forest Hill . . .
"Mit der Dummheit kämpfen Götter selbst vergebens."
north-north-west
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Social Misfits Anonymous
Region: Tasmania

Postby onward » Sat 28 Jan, 2017 12:26 am

Thanks NNW
That is of great help. I did mean Pilot, Forest Hill Trig, Cobberas 2 and camping near (or maybe before) Moscow Peak for the first day/night and then Cobberas 1 and down to Limestone Creek for my next food drop (the 2nd night). I was concerned I may be a bit ambitious in the planning. Hence I will take your advice and allow an extra night (sounds like a nice area to spend an extra night). If the weather is doubtful I won't attempt it.
onward
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Return to New South Wales & ACT