Crosslands Reserve Camping

NSW & ACT specific bushwalking discussion.
Forum rules
NSW & ACT specific bushwalking discussion. Please avoid publishing details of access to sensitive areas with no tracks.

Crosslands Reserve Camping

Postby matthewgoodyear » Mon 14 Mar, 2016 5:06 am

I want to make a base camp at crosslands fora couple days so i can do a couple walks in either direction along the GNW track. But im a little confused about the camping rules.

I looked on the hornsby council site and their t&C said camping is restricted to the southern end..which is the end near where you come in. nice green grass, playground. But when i was there the other day there was a number of people camped up the other end. So are they camping against the rules and just not paying? is that the phobos end where council inspectors dare dont venture?
matthewgoodyear
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Region: New South Wales

Re: Crosslands Reserve Camping

Postby Bluegum Mic » Mon 14 Mar, 2016 11:03 am

Ive camped up the other end twice (we paid) and never had a problem. The ranger just potters past and ticks you off their list. Mind you they may have changed their rules as when we camped down there the other week we were up the other end near the playground. Perhaps give council a call to clarify. Then you just book online for the dates/people. It doesn't reserve you a spot...its simply first in best dressed however you can book some of the bigger picnic tables/areas.

Sent from my SM-G920I using Tapatalk
Bluegum Mic
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Jono Chil » Mon 14 Mar, 2016 2:46 pm

You could always give Bruce from crosslands centre a call & book in to camp just means you gotta cross the creek
Jono Chil
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Postby matthewgoodyear » Mon 14 Mar, 2016 6:17 pm

fk sakes..it says there are no spots for the long weekend avaliable. im screwed now. only the thursday night is avaliable.

Maybe i book that night, stay there and just stay in the friday and say oops sorry..here is so more money
matthewgoodyear
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby Lindsay » Mon 14 Mar, 2016 8:55 pm

matthewgoodyear wrote:fk sakes..it says there are no spots for the long weekend avaliable. im screwed now. only the thursday night is avaliable.

Maybe i book that night, stay there and just stay in the friday and say oops sorry..here is so more money

There are a couple of spots just to the south of Crosslands on the GNW where you could set up for a night or two. Not large but adequate for a single tent and you could always walk into Crosslands for water, toilets etc.
Lindsay
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Postby matthewgoodyear » Tue 15 Mar, 2016 5:16 am

yeah? i might go for a walk south on Saturday then. its only going to be 22 degrees, so good for walking. I went north last week and it was like 35 degrees and when i got to that climb after sams creek crossing...jeeez, that was hard. but ill go the other way this time and check for camp spots.
matthewgoodyear
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby Bluegum Mic » Tue 15 Mar, 2016 7:07 am

Berowra creek campsite is a lovely spot as Lindsay says. Tis about 1.5km south of Crosslands and a great spot if your planning to walk south. Otherwise if walking north there are a few spots on the other side of the bridge at Calna creek and further up the creek towards Mt Kuring-Gai.

Bluegum Mic
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby matthewgoodyear » Tue 15 Mar, 2016 8:33 am

Bluegum Mic wrote:Berowra creek campsite is a lovely spot as Lindsay says. Tis about 1.5km south of Crosslands and a great spot if your planning to walk south. Otherwise if walking north there are a few spots on the other side of the bridge at Calna creek and further up the creek towards Mt Kuring-Gai.

i appreciate the advice.
but what im after is a drive in spot..or a spot close to a parking lot. i want to take my big tent and my big bed so i have a base from where i can go out for long walks and come back and collapse.

Im set up for over night hking and camping too, but i dont really want to do that here
matthewgoodyear
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby outjb » Tue 22 Mar, 2016 7:05 pm

Sorry - I know I'm a week later to this discussion. When I camped at Crosslands in early 2014 I booked and paid with Hornsby Council.

The south end was packed out with crowds. The north end was empty and much more attractive. It had a number of campfire scars, undercover picnic tables, water taps and a toilet block with running water/flush toilets.

I have a recollection that I found out later (which may not be correct) that Hornsby Council manages the south end, while NPWS manages the north end. I'm not clear on whether camping is technically allowed at the north end. I may have paid Hornsby then camped "informally" in the NPWS area....I still can't be sure. I recall information on the internet wasn't clear at the time.

All I know is we had (1) good intentions (2) a receipt from hornsby council, and (2) a much better experience for camping at the empty northern end.
outjb
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby matthewgoodyear » Sat 26 Mar, 2016 11:53 am

whats the deal with scout groups ding mass bookings? i walked there yesterday and they had taken over the entire southern end. they used up all the bbqs, oval area, everything. too bad if a a poor family had travelled from somewhere for a picnic or something
matthewgoodyear
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby solohiker » Thu 26 Jan, 2017 4:20 pm

The booking system for crosslands reserve has several camping blocks to choose from. There is no map to suggest which block is where though. Do they actually refer to physical locations? I'm looking at camping on the south side where the toilet block and swings are located so want to make sure there are no silly hassles.
I love blogging about my adventures. Please feel free to take a look https://solohikerblog.wordpress.com/
solohiker
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Region: Australia

Return to New South Wales & ACT