A couple of easier South Coast walks

NSW & ACT specific bushwalking discussion.
Forum rules
NSW & ACT specific bushwalking discussion. Please avoid publishing details of access to sensitive areas with no tracks.

A couple of easier South Coast walks

Postby cajun » Mon 14 Mar, 2016 3:41 pm

My better half and I have just enjoyed a long weekend on the south coast.

Friday we drove down to Pebbly beach and walked to the trig point on Durras Mountain in Murramarang NP, around the top circuit and retraced back down on to Snake Bay. Apart from the 120% humidity - or so it seemed - it was a really nice walk, with great coastal views south from the eastern part of the loop track at the top. We met a couple at Snake bay that had walked to Pretty Beach over the mountain, and then back via the coast (rocks) to Pebbly via Snake Bay. This wasn't marked on the topo map, but is something to try next time.

On Saturday we walked Little Forest, Rusden Head and Florence Head in Morton NP. A later start meant that Mount Bushwalker would have to wait for another day. The amount of water on the Rusden track was surprising given the lack of rain, and NPWS has supplied duckboards in a number of places, which in parts are very slippery as you might expect. In some parts it was better to follow the half track on the opposite side to the boards. It would be a very boggy walk after any substantial rain. The views at the end across to Pigeon House were hazy, but still magnificent. Florence head was an easy walk as well, as both tracks follow the ridge line. Yet another fantastic view awaited us at the end.

Again thanks to those who helped with my questions on the Castle / Monolith Valley. As I had foolishly (accidently) left my PLB behind at home, I decided that a few easier options were a better choice this time.

Here is my first attempt at a panorama shot with my new phone.

PH from Rusden Head.jpg
Pigeon House from Rusden Head
And he sees the vision splendid of the sunlit plains extended,
And at night the wondrous glory of the everlasting stars.
cajun
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: New South Wales

Re: A couple of easier South Coast walks

Postby NickB » Mon 14 Mar, 2016 10:27 pm

That's a cracking photo. Well done.
Going to follow your lead and hike that spot soon too.
NickB
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Region: New South Wales

Return to New South Wales & ACT