Mt Guouogang - route advice

NSW & ACT specific bushwalking discussion.
Forum rules
NSW & ACT specific bushwalking discussion. Please avoid publishing details of access to sensitive areas with no tracks.

Mt Guouogang - route advice

Postby tqc » Wed 23 Mar, 2016 12:57 pm

My plan for Easter is a walk from Carlon's Farm to Mount Guouogang. The route I am looking at is Breakfast Creek / Scrubbers Hump one way and Gasper Buttress / Blue Dog Buttress the other way. All looks doable based on maps and existing forum posts, but I have a couple of questions for people familiar with the area.

Which direction would you recommend for this loop?

I will be taking it fairly slow (~10km/day), so will probably need to camp somewhere near the top. What are my chances of finding a decent spot for a tent up there?
tqc
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Region: New South Wales

Re: Mt Guouogang - route advice

Postby kanangra » Wed 23 Mar, 2016 3:39 pm

The bottom of Gaspers is not simple to locate maybe easier to come down there. And it is steep. So is Blue Dog. Easier to come down Blue Dog and up B'fast Ck. Keep an eye open for the plane up there.

K.
kanangra
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby jonnosan » Wed 23 Mar, 2016 5:20 pm

I have done something similar once - I went up Scrubbers hump, down Gaspers, because I was told that was the easiest navigation. I actually came down breakfast creek and exited via Ironmonger as I find my knees complain more on steep descents than my lungs complain on steep climbs.

I recall some small flat areas with obvious evidence of prior campfires at the summit of Mt Jenolan and Mt Queahgong, whereas the summit of Mt Gouogang itself was pretty rocky and scrubby. I didn't see any water any where up high.
jonnosan
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Postby Mark F » Wed 23 Mar, 2016 9:32 pm

With aging joints I tend to choose the direction that has me climbing the steeper terrain and descending the more gently sloping. It is a hard to determine which way to do this walk as there are quite steep bits to descend in either direction.
"Perfection is attained not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing more to remove".
Mark F
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: Australian Capital Territory

Postby DaveNoble » Wed 23 Mar, 2016 9:52 pm

tqc wrote: so will probably need to camp somewhere near the top. What are my chances of finding a decent spot for a tent up there?

There is excellent camping on the top of Guouogang - in several of the thickets. These are open, once you get inside them. The rest of the summit area is quite scrubby (the prickly bush has been called "poo... Guouogangii") and rocky. No water on top.

On the way up - you will find a few places you could camp - small saddles or clear areas.

Dave
DaveNoble
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby BenS » Wed 23 Mar, 2016 10:24 pm

Either direction, a great route. Agree with others plenty of spots to camp along krungle bungle range. Another option, to avoid any backtracking, is to descend guouogang ridge and then home via yellow dog ridge. 42km loop from carlons that way.
BenS
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Return to New South Wales & ACT