Coastal Walk - Royal National Park

NSW & ACT specific bushwalking discussion.
Forum rules
NSW & ACT specific bushwalking discussion. Please avoid publishing details of access to sensitive areas with no tracks.

Coastal Walk - Royal National Park

Postby jargs83 » Fri 01 Apr, 2016 5:25 pm

Hi Guys

I'm off to Sydney in July and was hoping to tackle the Coastal Walk in the Royal National Park. The couple of websites I'velooked at have said it' s a 2 day walk but is it possible to cram it all into one day?
jargs83
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Region: Western Australia

Re: Coastal Walk - Royal National Park

Postby vieve » Fri 01 Apr, 2016 8:10 pm

Hi jargs83, welcome to the forum.

It is absolutely possible to complete the Coastal Walk in one day - I've done this on several occasions. My preference is to start at Otford (catch the train to Otford Station) and finish in Bundeena (taking the ferry across to Cronulla at the end of the day and then a train from Cronulla).

As long as you keep a good pace and don't stop too often you should be easily able to complete the distance in a day.
vieve
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Region: New South Wales

Postby Lindsay » Fri 01 Apr, 2016 10:08 pm

Hi jargs, as vieve says its possible to complete the coast track in one day. I took 8 hours a few years ago, walking south to north. You do have to check the ferry times from Bundeena to Cronulla though if you are relying on public transport.
Lindsay
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Postby skibug » Sun 03 Apr, 2016 5:08 pm

... so a safer option is to go north to south, therefore leaving the opportunity of a train late in the evening if, for some reason, you are held up.

So far as whether it's doable, it will totally depend on your fitness - 28km on bush tracks is routine for some, impossible for others. Exit points are not available unless you're prepared to hitch hike, or call a very expensive taxi.

Skibug.
skibug
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Hughmac » Sun 03 Apr, 2016 6:51 pm

It's doable, but if you can I would strongly recommend taking your time and taking in the scenery, it really does have a number of spectacular features to be appreciated all the way along it.
Hughmac
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby clarence » Sun 03 Apr, 2016 9:30 pm

Definitely do-able if you are average or better fitness. Finishing at Otford is better for the reason skibug said.

If it is in July the day length may be a slight issue. You can take the route along the crest of the escarpment from South Era (Garrawarra Farm - Ridge Track - Otford), it is a far easier to find the track than through Burning Palms and Palm Jungle, especially if it gets dark.

Clarence
clarence
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Tasmania

Postby jargs83 » Tue 05 Apr, 2016 1:37 pm

Cheers for the information guys, very much appreciated.

The walk is planned for late july or one of the first 2 days in August so looking at the sunset/sunset times we have about 10 and a half hours of sunset. We're both pretty fit as we play Rugby etc.

At this stage we were thinking of trekking North to South in case we do get held up we can train it back to Sydney from Otford, but if we flip it around we can be in Otford before Sunrise. Another option is to stay in Otford the night before the hike.

Any further advice is welcome!
jargs83
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Region: Western Australia

Postby ribuck » Wed 06 Apr, 2016 4:31 pm

I like to do this walk south to north, because there are refreshment options in Bundeena while waiting for the ferry. A pre-sunrise start from Otford sounds perfect.
ribuck
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: Other Country

Return to New South Wales & ACT