Mt Solitary via the Ruined Castle

NSW & ACT specific bushwalking discussion.
Forum rules
NSW & ACT specific bushwalking discussion. Please avoid publishing details of access to sensitive areas with no tracks.

Mt Solitary via the Ruined Castle

Postby sylvz18 » Fri 08 Apr, 2016 11:29 am

I'm very interested in doing this walk over the weekend, but on http://www.wildwalks.com/bushwalking-and-hiking-in-nsw/blue-mountains-katoomba/scenic-railway-to-mt-solitary-via-the-ruined-castle.html#tn it says 'experienced only'.

Can someone tell me how difficult it really is, or what they mean by experienced? If it really is that difficult, suggestions for any other long walks around the area would be appreciated.
sylvz18
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Region: New South Wales

Re: Mt Solitary via the Ruined Castle

Postby johnw » Fri 08 Apr, 2016 12:33 pm

sylvz18 wrote:I'm very interested in doing this walk over the weekend, but on http://www.wildwalks.com/bushwalking-and-hiking-in-nsw/blue-mountains-katoomba/scenic-railway-to-mt-solitary-via-the-ruined-castle.html#tn it says 'experienced only'.

Can someone tell me how difficult it really is, or what they mean by experienced? If it really is that difficult, suggestions for any other long walks around the area would be appreciated.

I'm assuming you are doing this as a day trip? To answer properly we really need an idea of your existing experience, fitness and comfort levels as a reference point. I've done the walk many times but starting from the Golden Stairs which makes it a little shorter (about 14km return I think - longer if you continue to Chinamans Gully and beyond). The "difficult" bit is the climb and descent of the Korowall Knife Edge on Mt Solitary. It is quite steep and fairly strenuous with some rock scrambling and has some mild exposure in a couple of spots. You also need to watch the navigation as there are false tracks in some places and people have come to grief in that area (I note that signage has been improved in the general area in recent years).

If you are fit and are comfortable with that it may be suitable, but really hard to know without more information about you. I don't want to discourage you as it's a really great walk if you are up to it. But it's not uncommon for inexperienced people to find some relatively easy walks quite challenging or to overestimate their ability. It's also fairly remote and water may not be available so need to carry everything with you including safety and first aid items and know how to use them. Noting that Matt's advice on that link states "At least one person in your group should have training and experience in off track walking and navigation. Even with these notes and a GPS these extra skills and equipment are required". Those track notes do give a very detailed description of what is involved in the walk and climb which surprises me that they haven't answered your questions?

An easier/shorter option would be to make the Ruined Castle the destination which would give you a closer look at the climb up Solitary. Another longish day walk that is not difficult is from the Queen Victoria Hospital near Wentworh Falls to Kedumba Valley Farm. Has a steep descent/climb but all on fire trails. Plenty of other worthwhile options in the region including the Grose Valley and Wild Dog Mountains but most of these do have very steep descents/climbs so fitness is important.
John W

In Nature's keeping they are safe, but through the agency of man destruction is making rapid progress - John Muir c1912
johnw
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby ribuck » Fri 08 Apr, 2016 1:37 pm

As it happens, today I just got back from an overnight camp on Mt Solitary. I've been there many times before, so it's straightforward for me. Also, I started from Golden Stairs rather than from the Scenic Railway, which saves some time. It only took me 2h50 to return this morning from Chinamans Gully on Mt Solitary to the car park at the top of the Golden Stairs.

I was surprised when, just before dark last night, a solo German female turned up at Chinamans Gully with an enormous pack, having walked from Katoomba Railway Station. She was making do with whatever gear she had with her (e.g. her tent was a heavy three-person tent), and had carried water for the whole weekend (not knowing about the water tanks below Ruined Castle or the semi-reliable ponds of water at the bottom of Chinamans Gully). But what really surprised me was that she had just been given a verbal description by a fellow traveller of where to go, and had found her way up the knife-edge and located Chinamans Gully without any map or written description.

So there's more than one way to attack Mt Solitary!

Sylvz18, the walk is definitely for experienced walkers in the NPWS meaning of "experienced", i.e. referring to the general public. But it's within the reach of almost every seasoned bushwalker. How about you tell us some of the longer or more challenging walks you have done, and we can let you know how Mt Solitary compares to those. Otherwise, we have no idea of your fitness and/or competence.

The route to Cedar Gap, just beyond Ruined Castle, is on a nearly-level path and is signed and straightforward. There is then a rough path to climb the mountain, with half a dozen short but straightforward scrambles where you need to use hands as well as feet. Most people don't find these difficult, but you need to take care because some of them have drops nearby. For a beginner, the hardest part is finding the optimum route up. If you find yourself on a "hairy" scramble, you are going the wrong way and should backtrack. Also, if you leave the nose of the ridge for more than about 20 metres, you are on a false trail and should backtrack. At the moment, there are small arrows scratched into the rock at major decision points, but these can be easily missed. Once you're up on the mountain, there's a foot pad which is usually obvious but occasionally braids out or is overgrown. If it's misty, take care to stay on path. If you get lost, Mt Solitary is a huge mountain with lots of very rough terrain.

Because it's an "out and back" trip, you can go as far as you like, and can turn back if it's taking too long or too much energy. For your first trip, why not skip Ruined Castle and head straight for Solitary? You can do Ruined Castle on the way back if you still have time and energy. And consider starting at the Golden Stairs for your first visit to Mt Solitary. You can do Scenic Railway and the landslide as a separate walk another day.
ribuck
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: Other Country

Postby sylvz18 » Fri 08 Apr, 2016 1:42 pm

johnw wrote:I'm assuming you are doing this as a day trip? To answer properly we really need an idea of your existing experience, fitness and comfort levels as a reference point.

Thanks for the detailed reply. Yes I would like to do this as a day trip. I've already done Katoomba to Ruined Castle, and had no problems with that walk. I like walks to be physically challenging, so that won't be an issue. The only things I'm worried about are keeping to the track and very unstable conditions. Wildwalks makes it sound very difficult to navigate. Also, I've found that the grading on the website hasn't been trustworthy, as I've done 'hard' walks that were very easy, and 'medium' walks that were more difficult than some 'hard' ones. Furthermore, the comments on the site are from well over 3 years ago.

So, my main worry really is if it is difficult to follow the track and if there are any sections that would be very dangerous?
sylvz18
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Postby sylvz18 » Fri 08 Apr, 2016 1:59 pm

ribuck wrote:Sylvz18, the walk is definitely for experienced walkers in the NPWS meaning of "experienced", i.e. referring to the general public. But it's within the reach of almost every seasoned bushwalker. How about you tell us some of the longer or more challenging walks you have done, and we can let you know how Mt Solitary compares to those. Otherwise, we have no idea of your fitness and/or competence.

Hi Ribuck, thanks for the reply. As I mentioned above, the main things I'm worried about are losing the track and unstable conditions. I would like to know more about this track before I try to attempt it and get lost or hurt. Some other tracks I've done include Scenic railway to ruined castle. I did a variation that was about 28km, so I'm not too worried about the physical challenges. Another walk I've done was Govetts Leap to Bluegum circuit, which went through, about 23km.
sylvz18
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Postby ribuck » Fri 08 Apr, 2016 7:05 pm

Sylvz18, it sounds like you'll be fine. If you've been to Ruined Castle you already have an idea of the distances and the topography of the area. If you've done Bluegum you won't be fazed by the effort of the ascents. You won't get lost if you carry a compass just in case you get disoriented in mist atop Solitary. And you won't get hurt if you take the scrambles sensibly (they are sloping not vertical, and there are lots of good handholds and footholds available). And if it gets too scary, you know you're off the route and need to backtrack rather than ploughing on regardless. The route is obvious 99% of the way (the rocks are worn from regular use), and for the other 1% you just need to look around for a marking or look at the terrain ahead and work out the logical way to ascend it.

Enjoy Mt Solitary - it's an awesome mountain. When you get to Chinamans Gully be sure to follow the gully left and right to fabulous lookouts to the north and south. Chinamans is a good turnaround point, but some fast parties continue to the far end. And after your trip do post your impressions here!
ribuck
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: Other Country

Postby Suz » Tue 12 Apr, 2016 9:35 am

i did this walk the week before last. 'experienced only' is kinda BS. the trail is easy to follow - you just need adequate fitness to make it and also make an early start. i am super unfit at the mo and so i found the climb tiring but the trail is in no way difficult to follow. i think based on the fact you've already done half the walk anyway and clearly don't mind distance means you'll be fine.
Suz
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Western Australia

Postby jrg » Sun 17 Apr, 2016 11:54 am

I did Mt Solitary as my second time on the walk down the Golden Stairs - the first time I only went to Ruined Castle and found that very straightforward, so I decided to go again a few months later and do Mt Solitary. The only thing to be aware of is that you'll be tired at the end of the walk, and the end of the walk requires you to climb the Golden Stairs if you're going from there - unless you want to press on and use the Scenic Railway!

Wildwalks is accruate in that a lot of members of the general public (and tourists) would find Mt Solitary a very difficult walk - so "experienced" will deter most of them from undertaking such a walk. For someone in your position who has done bushwalks like Blue Gum and have already done Ruined Castle, you won't have a problem.

Enjoy!
jrg
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Return to New South Wales & ACT