Vandalism on Lindeman Pass

NSW & ACT specific bushwalking discussion.
Forum rules
NSW & ACT specific bushwalking discussion. Please avoid publishing details of access to sensitive areas with no tracks.

Re: Vandalism on Lindeman Pass

Postby jonnosan » Mon 04 Jul, 2016 11:54 am

Lotsafreshair wrote:BTW, did anyone else notice that Lindeman Pass is not marked as a track on the Katoomba 1:25k, dated 2015? For a punter, they've got no way of knowing that this track is 'much less' of a track than say, the Federal Pass... they're marked the same.

I hadn't seen that before, can see now it shows Lindeman and Roberts, but not Gladstone or Copeland passes. I would say that Lindeman Pass itself is currently not much less of a track than say the Mt Solitary walking track, which I believe has been shown on topo for a long time. Not withstanding the vandalism that was original catalyst for this thread, the Lindeman track proper seems to have had some decent clearing work done to it lately, even around the landslide. Probably the trickiest bit for a tourist to navigate now is the bit that was never completed to join up with the Leura Cascades tracks (i.e. where you have to cross over Leura creek under the waterfall below Bridal Veil falls)
jonnosan
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Region: New South Wales

Postby Lotsafreshair » Mon 04 Jul, 2016 5:49 pm

Interesting. I'll have to get down there soon and check it out. I know there's been a search & rescue job along Lindeman in the last month - will be interesting to see what this clearing looks like. :-D
-------------------------------
Blog: lotsafreshair.com
Tips and tricks from an unexpected outdoors chick
Lotsafreshair
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: SES Bush Search & Rescue, Macpac

Postby Lophophaps » Wed 06 Jul, 2016 11:02 am

Many years ago an oil tanker had a major leak, spilling oil on a long stretch of coast. I think that this may have been in the NW US and SW Canada. The pictures were awful and what was to be expected. A lot of time, effort and cost was used to clean up the coast. Later there was an analysis of the clean-up, with a surprising result. The boffins said that the best way to clean up the spill was ... do nothing. So despite the feel-good approach of volunteers and others on beaches with masses of oil, doing nothing was best.

Depending on the paint, it may be that letting nature and time slowly fade the rather ghastly arrows is best. One aspect to be monitored is that as the arrows fade, some dim bulb may decide that they need repainting. Remedies elude me. However, if a male alleged offender is caught, a few minutes with one of my sharp knives can work wonders. This would give a salutary lesson and avoid procreation.
Lophophaps
Auctorita modica
Auctorita modica

Region: Victoria

Postby DarrenM » Wed 06 Jul, 2016 11:23 am

I don't think this will destroy the local environment but, the fact that people will see these bright pink arrows for the next 10 years will probably give the next dimwit similar ideas. They need to be removed.
DarrenM
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Previous

Return to New South Wales & ACT