Griffins Firetrack - Meryla Pass to Jacks Corners

NSW & ACT specific bushwalking discussion.
Forum rules
NSW & ACT specific bushwalking discussion. Please avoid publishing details of access to sensitive areas with no tracks.

Griffins Firetrack - Meryla Pass to Jacks Corners

Postby khouw » Tue 26 Apr, 2016 1:37 am

Thinking of organising a small group of newbies to the bush along this track. Haven't done it since my cub scout days, we started at the top of Meryla Pass, ending at Jacks Corners so a car shuffle is mandatory. Question - How close to Meryla Pass can the walk start? Heard that the car park had been pulled back to just outside of the last creek crossing meaning 5 km more walking?
khouw
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Region: New South Wales

Re: Griffins Firetrack - Meryla Pass to Jacks Corners

Postby johnw » Tue 26 Apr, 2016 4:31 pm

Interesting. I hadn't seen anything about that but have to admit it's been several years since I last walked it. I've always parked near the gate at the top of Meryla Pass. NPWS site seems to indicate that you still can, but maybe ring the Morton NP office at Fitzroy Falls to confirm:

http://www.nationalparks.nsw.gov.au/things-to-do/Walking-tracks/Griffins-walking-track/visitor-info#Getting-there-and-parking
John W

In Nature's keeping they are safe, but through the agency of man destruction is making rapid progress - John Muir c1912
johnw
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Hughmac » Tue 26 Apr, 2016 7:37 pm

Was there fairly recently, and the carpark was still at the head of the pass. May be different to when you were in Scouts, I know the locked gate used to be at the start of Timealong Track, halfway down the hill, but it was moved to the top of the hill partly because of issues with vandalism and rubbish around Gales Flat, and partly because of concerns with the stability of the road in the rainforest section near the top of the pass.
Hughmac
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby puredingo » Wed 27 Apr, 2016 5:20 pm

Unless they have installed another gate back at the creek the gate was at the top of the pass, 6 months ago anyway.

PS Hughmac, pm'd you?
puredingo
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Return to New South Wales & ACT