Blueys (Linden) day hikes and maps

NSW & ACT specific bushwalking discussion.
Forum rules
NSW & ACT specific bushwalking discussion. Please avoid publishing details of access to sensitive areas with no tracks.

Blueys (Linden) day hikes and maps

Postby neil_fahey » Tue 10 May, 2016 2:41 pm

Hey guys,

Staying with friends in Linden at some point over the winter and looking for a good day hike around there. Any ideas?

Also haven't been able to find a good topo map that covers the area around Linden. Can anyone point me in the direction of one to buy online?

Thanks
Neil

EDIT: Just to clarify, I'm talking paper maps here. As much as I love technology, there's nothing better than spreading out a proper map before a trip. :)
neil_fahey
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: BushwalkingBlog.com.au
Region: Victoria

Re: Blueys (Linden) day hikes and maps

Postby GPSGuided » Tue 10 May, 2016 3:45 pm

You can purchase printed or electronic (PDF) topo maps from LPI.
https://shop.lpi.nsw.gov.au

There are quite a few 25,000:1 maps to cover the Blue Mountains region, including Katoomba, Springwood, Jamison, Mount Wilson. All depends on which area you want to do your tracks. For Linden, you'll probably need at least two maps to cover its north and south, depending on which side of Great Western Hwy you are walking.
Just move it!
GPSGuided
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: New South Wales

Postby johnw » Tue 10 May, 2016 3:48 pm

neil_fahey wrote:Hey guys,

Staying with friends in Linden at some point over the winter and looking for a good day hike around there. Any ideas?

Also haven't been able to find a good topo map that covers the area around Linden. Can anyone point me in the direction of one to buy online?

Thanks
Neil

EDIT: Just to clarify, I'm talking paper maps here. As much as I love technology, there's nothing better than spreading out a proper map before a trip. :)

Neil,
You will probably want both the Katoomba and Springwood 1:25,000 topo sheets (depending on plans). If planning to travel further afield you may also need Mt Wilson or Jamison. Can't help with online but looks like you can get them here - http://www.mapshop.com.au/nsw-topographic-keys.php. If you can wait until you get here and arrive by car they are usually available at the Glenbrook visitor centre on the Great Western Hwy in the lower mountains. About $10 or $11 each.

Linden is mid-Blue Mountains and a good place for access to many places in the Blueys if you have your own transport. It's also on the train line through the mountains. Close to Linden itself have a look at the Mabel Falls Reserve and adjoining Horseshoe Falls Reserve areas. Best after rain as there are a number of small pretty waterfalls that run well in flood. Not epic distance, probably do it in a few hours if you are fit.

A few kms west in the same general area, on the southern side of the highway near Hazelbrook/Lawson, is the Terrace Falls Reserve area where you can make a good circuit with some road bashing. Also has several very nice falls best after rain. The north side of the highway has the Empire Pass circuit with some nice falls and scenery.

Back down the road a few kms at Faulconbridge/Springwood the Sassafras Gully area has some nice walking. You could start down the Victory Track then do the Sassafras Gully Circuit or similar. Maybe train from Springwood back to start or Linden.

That's a few ideas to start, I've walked all of them many times and they remain favourites. There are many other possibilities including some classics further up the mountains about 30-40 minutes drive from Linden depending on time available and transport. Noting your preference for paper over technology (and I have just about all the paper maps :)) I would still suggest a quick look at http://www.wildwalks.com and https://maps.six.nsw.gov.au/ to get an idea of what I'm referring to.
John W

In Nature's keeping they are safe, but through the agency of man destruction is making rapid progress - John Muir c1912
johnw
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby neil_fahey » Tue 10 May, 2016 3:48 pm

Thanks so much, GPSGuided! I'll take a look.
neil_fahey
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby neil_fahey » Tue 10 May, 2016 3:52 pm

Thanks johnw! Great tips! Wanted to stay pretty close to my mate's house as he hasn't explored his back yard as much as he'd like. Will get my hands on some maps and make a decision. Glad I'm planning ahead. There's so much beautiful country up there!
neil_fahey
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby davidf » Tue 10 May, 2016 4:22 pm

Get Bruce Camrons Blue Labrinth book
davidf
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides