Park rangers and fees

NSW & ACT specific bushwalking discussion.
Forum rules
NSW & ACT specific bushwalking discussion. Please avoid publishing details of access to sensitive areas with no tracks.

Park rangers and fees

Postby Stroller » Thu 16 Jun, 2016 1:00 am

I'm planning a long bicycle tour and time and again I come across the pain of learning that I have to book to do this or that hike. These booking systems suit people who just go for a weekend walk and or who arrive by car and their whole trip is about the walk in question. Bureaucracy can drive one nuts. On a bike tour you don't want to plan an itinerary down to a T weeks or months ahead. You need to be flexible. The other thing is hikes are often well off the main route so one doesn't like having to ride in and out again over the same road. It takes too long. I'll do it if its for a really amazing place like the bungle bungles - one day in and one day to get out. Both very long and rough days at that. But 20 km on an orindary dirt of paved road just to get to the beach isn't very appealing. That's why i'd like the option of dropping my bike off from time to time, sending it by courier to a pick up place down the road and then do a walk along through a park to get there.

So I just want to know, are the rangers usually about in the parks, do they check permits and what do they do if they find you without a permit? I've never had to contend with this before.
Stroller
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Australia

Re: Park rangers and fees

Postby Xplora » Thu 16 Jun, 2016 7:01 am

It is a bit hard to give an answer to your question but I have found most of the rangers are pretty good in NSW and very understanding if you explain you had no way to book or know where you would be. We camped at Green Cape last October and were the only people there. I was about to put the money in the box when the ranger said not to bother. We travel without plans and never book and in our lap of the country did not have a problem in any park. If you are travelling in school holidays or peak periods then you may encounter more of a problem with bookings and permits. If the permit is to pay for park entry as well then grab an envelope (if that is the system) and put you money in it then seal it. If the ranger comes by to check then you have it ready and you can say you were just on your way to do it. Often we would not pay until the next morning as we could pull up stakes if a bunch of bogans turned up. That happened more than once.
Xplora
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: Victoria

Postby Stroller » Thu 16 Jun, 2016 10:39 pm

Great answer. Thank you so much. I find it very reassuring. Actually I did have similar experiences in the Kimberley a few years ago.
Stroller
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby RonK » Fri 17 Jun, 2016 8:28 am

Stroller wrote:So I just want to know, are the rangers usually about in the parks, do they check permits and what do they do if they find you without a permit? I've never had to contend with this before.

If you are referring to your planned NZ trip, I think you will find the rangers will be present on any walks where bookings are required, and I have read a couple of comments about people being turned back.
RonK
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Region: Queensland

Postby Stroller » Fri 17 Jun, 2016 11:27 pm

NO i'm not. Its not an issue for me in New Zealand because I'm not doing great walks.
Stroller
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby newhue » Wed 14 Sep, 2016 5:47 am

NSW and Tasmania have annual passes for good periods of time, so you can contribute by purchasing one of those which will give you freedom to go where you like. It also saves you having the cash for the older cash payment system that has been mentioned. Qld however are still in the dark ages. Only the well planned, and paid for up front on line or by phone with a credit card will see you contributing. I believe however, the $5 camp fee largely only covers the cost of counting the numbers for budget allocations. Sooo if you are a respectful low impact type user than I'd imagine the ranger will understand. If you build a fire with a few trimmed trees, leave bit of rubbish behind, do a few skids on the pushie, and the ranger just happens to arrive, than I imagine your camping fees will be included in the fine one receives.
newhue
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Queensland

Postby Supertramp » Wed 21 Sep, 2016 5:41 pm

Not sure where you're going, but I know the Rangers around where I am can sell you a camping ticket on the spot (cash).
Maybe look into that and see if that's an option.
Supertramp
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Australian Capital Territory

Postby Neo » Sun 09 Oct, 2016 7:48 pm

I'm looking for places to go, that I can walk to via easy drop-off or public transport, without leaving my vehicle in the bush for a couple of days. It's very limited although there are plenty of small Parks and Nature Reserves that don't have designated campgrounds.

Reading these tips from NSWPWS

http://www.nationalparks.nsw.gov.au/saf ... ing-safety

In context with the above I picked up on this point which to me suggests it's OK to go bush and camp in undesignated places:

"If camping off the beaten track, use a fuel stove. If you do need to light a fire, please remove the top layer of soil before making the fire. Keep the fire small and ensure you put the fire out thoroughly, scatter the ashes, and replace the top layer of soil."

Key words 'If camping off the beaten track'.

Looking at my walking range and whether I could get to the next designated camping ground, I wonder on the legality of a walker making camp as a one-off. This seems OK from an environmental perspective when practicing LNT and probably being the only human to stop in that spot overnight. Also for a cycle tourer whom I'm sure must stop in the bushes along our highways (I would).

Perhaps this style of walking can be done by calling the local ranger and 'getting unofficial approval'? Always carry change and pay fees where available.
Neo
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: New South Wales

Return to New South Wales & ACT