Lower Kowmung River to be Destroyed!!

NSW & ACT specific bushwalking discussion.
Forum rules
NSW & ACT specific bushwalking discussion. Please avoid publishing details of access to sensitive areas with no tracks.

Postby DaveNoble » Fri 17 Jun, 2016 8:42 am

The state government is going to announce the raising of the wall of Warragamba Dam by 14 m today for flood mitigation. So far on the news reports I have heard nothing about the destruction of a world heritage area. This will destroy the Kowmung River. For more information see - http://www.dontraisethedam.com. Here is one news report - http://www.smh.com.au/nsw/warragamba-dam-wall-to-be-raised-to-avoid-catastrophic-flood-event-20160616-gpkqly.html

This is very bad news.

Dave
DaveNoble
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Re: Lower Kowmung River to be Destroyed!!

Postby robl » Fri 17 Jun, 2016 10:03 pm

Perhaps the extra 14m will only be used for flood mitigation in that rare 1 in 500 year flood and will only be needed for a day or so.
Is the capacity going to be increased? My reading is that it is for flood mitigation only.
Interestingly they have just finished spillway work in the last few years to prevent wall failure for 1 in 700 year floods. (if I remember correctly.)
robl
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby jackattack » Fri 17 Jun, 2016 10:20 pm

I read this online today as well. Have not had the pleasure of seeing the Kowmung yet. What fence to I need to chain myself too? What I am really asking is what can be done, which group is best to work with?
jackattack
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: New South Wales

Postby ribuck » Sat 18 Jun, 2016 7:34 am

robl wrote:...they have just finished spillway work in the last few years to prevent wall failure for 1 in 700 year floods

Does this mean that each year there is a one-in-701 chance that the dam will fail? Are there any statisticians here who can interpret this?
ribuck
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: Other Country

Postby GPSGuided » Sat 18 Jun, 2016 8:10 am

robl wrote:Perhaps the extra 14m will only be used for flood mitigation in that rare 1 in 500 year flood and will only be needed for a day or so.
Is the capacity going to be increased? My reading is that it is for flood mitigation only.
Interestingly they have just finished spillway work in the last few years to prevent wall failure for 1 in 700 year floods. (if I remember correctly.)

+1

What I heard too. The extra 14m is going to be for times of extreme rain to avoid spilling. Nothing mentioned about raising the storage level.
Just move it!
GPSGuided
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Tyreless » Sat 18 Jun, 2016 9:22 am

The Colong Foundation has some information - see the link in the first post. But it is based on a 23m increase in wall height, not a 14m increase. My understanding is that the concern relates to impacts arising when the higher wall is used for flood mitigation purposes and whether the areas then flooded will ever recover.

I'd like to see the "other side of the story" and find out what those impacts are, how often they occur, and whether they can be mitigated. Unfortunately, my google searches drew a blank. I am concerned about an anouncement of this sort of work if there is nothing published to back it up,
Tyreless
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Sydney Bush Walkers

Postby GPSGuided » Sat 18 Jun, 2016 12:46 pm

The SMH reported that,
The Hawkesbury-Nepean Valley between Penrith and Sackville has the greatest flood risk of anywhere in NSW.
The government says up to 134,000 people who live and work there could require evacuation in the event of a large flood – a figure forecast to double in the next 30 years.
In 2012, Infrastructure NSW said a study it commissioned found that a one-in-1000-year flood in the area similar to the 2011 Queensland flood would cause damage estimated at $8 billion.
This included potentially putting 43,000 residents and 9000 local employees at risk, destroying 6500 homes and flooding 14,000 homes above floor level.

So there must be a completed technical analysis on this issue somewhere. Still, no mention that the managing authority wants to raise the normal water level but to assure control and safety at times of catastrophic flood. We need to see the environmental impact review on this before claiming assured destruction.
Just move it!
GPSGuided
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby davidf » Sat 18 Jun, 2016 12:56 pm

I have spent time in the zone. Damming absolutley destroys an area. When water is high it is beautiful. When water is low you get a muddy smelly mess. The creeks that already meet the Coxes into the catchment in anything but flood are foul. To think that the kowmung/coxes junction could suffer this is horrible.

I can handle the dogs, pelicans and horses living down stream but this must stop.
davidf
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby GPSGuided » Sat 18 Jun, 2016 1:02 pm

What's the ASL for Kowmung/Coxes junction and what's the ASL of said dam?

This article has more convincing information.
http://www.dontraisethedam.com/raising- ... hwalker-38

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Just move it!
GPSGuided
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Allchin09 » Sat 18 Jun, 2016 1:25 pm

GPSGuided wrote:What's the ASL for Kowmung/Coxes junction and what's the ASL of said dam?

This article has more convincing information.
http://www.dontraisethedam.com/raising- ... hwalker-38

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I believe that the junction is the same elevation as the dam stored water mark
Tackling the unknown and the awesome one adventure at a time!

Check out my latest trips at http://aoacblog.wordpress.com/posts
Allchin09

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Sydney Bush Walkers

Postby GPSGuided » Sat 18 Jun, 2016 2:43 pm

Ummm... That'd be problem. Then the junction is already part of the catchment where each meter would count.
Just move it!
GPSGuided
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby clarence » Sat 18 Jun, 2016 3:44 pm

This brings to mind the proposal to raise Tallowa Dam / Lake Yarrunga by (from memory) 7 metres, about 12 years ago (in which I was somewhat involved).

As with the Lake Yarrunga proposal, one of the big issues is how impacts will be managed under the Wilderness Act (which effectively prohibits all such human impacts). Overlaid on this would be World Heritage legislation, which was not a case in the Yarrunga proposal.

It is always a difficult issue when two Acts clash (eg mine rehabilitiation under Mining/Environmental Planning Assessment Act versus Heritage Act).

Having seen how these conflicts are resolved in past experience, it seems to be a very political (rather than legal) decision- and the decisions seem to be kept as far from scrutiny as possible. It is far from a clear cut and transparent process.

At the time (about 2004) any conflict between the Wilderness Act and other legislation was unchartered territory. This is probably still the case.

Clarence
Last edited by clarence on Sat 18 Jun, 2016 11:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
clarence
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Tasmania

Postby robl » Sat 18 Jun, 2016 9:13 pm

It seems that those in power have decided to increase downstream safety from that described in the following webpage.
I can't imagine what happens when the "fuse plugs" go but it must be better than dam failure.
I guess that they have decided that the "fuse plug" solution was just temporary and heavy downstream flooding is now unacceptable.

http://www.waternsw.com.au/supply/Greater-Sydney/safety/warragamba-dam-auxiliary-spillway

Associate Professor Khan offers a different solution for this problem. I am sure there is other stuff on the web.

http://www.smh.com.au/nsw/warragamba-dam-disaster-warning-downpour-now-could-devastate-western-sydney-20150827-gj8wif.html

Global warming is increasing the risk of extreme events occurring, according to most scientists, so we must be thoughtful.
robl
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby DarrenM » Sun 19 Jun, 2016 1:45 pm

I regularly see the damage in low lying areas around the Hawkesbury etc. Loss of property, roads cut off for days and I've personally lost work in the areas prone to flooding. We've spent tens of thousands of dollars pumping water out of property and cleaning up after big rain events. Three or four in the last 12 months alone.

I'm all for conservation but there's a lot of people affected downstream and a truck load of money during cleanups.
DarrenM
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby gayet » Sun 19 Jun, 2016 4:04 pm

What about moving the people etc out of the flood prone areas? Do it once and the problem is solved. Can't be more expensive than raising dam walls and potentially stuffing up other river systems up stream of the wall.

Why does a bad decision years ago take precedence over a solution now? Yes the people being moved may not like it, but they generally don't like the impacts of a flood either. Sometimes, human feelings should not come first.
gayet

Region: Victoria

Postby kjbeath » Sun 19 Jun, 2016 8:04 pm

ribuck wrote:
robl wrote:...they have just finished spillway work in the last few years to prevent wall failure for 1 in 700 year floods

Does this mean that each year there is a one-in-701 chance that the dam will fail? Are there any statisticians here who can interpret this?

I think it was actually 1 in 1000 year floods, but it means there is a 1 in a 1000 chance of the dam failing in a year. That probably is a conservative estimate. There just isn't a lot of data for making this sort of estimate.
kjbeath
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby GPSGuided » Sun 19 Jun, 2016 9:04 pm

We are getting a lot of 1:100 to 1:1000 years events around the world these days.
Just move it!
GPSGuided
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby robl » Sun 19 Jun, 2016 9:11 pm

I did some more searching.

This appears to be the latest report. A "must" read.

http://www.infrastructure.nsw.gov.au/news/currentnews/hawkesbury-nepean-flood-risk-management-strategy.aspx

And it evolved from the one below.

http://www.water.nsw.gov.au/__data/assets/pdf_file/0005/548987/key_hawkesbury-nepean-valley-flood-management-review-stageone-report.pdf

That valley might be an interesting place to live!
robl
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby DarrenM » Sun 19 Jun, 2016 9:24 pm

gayet wrote:What about moving the people etc out of the flood prone areas? Do it once and the problem is solved. Can't be more expensive than raising dam walls and potentially stuffing up other river systems up stream of the wall.

Why does a bad decision years ago take precedence over a solution now? Yes the people being moved may not like it, but they generally don't like the impacts of a flood either. Sometimes, human feelings should not come first.

I'm conflicted on this one because of the consequences to the Kowmung.

If you are familiar with the general low lying western suburbs along the entire Hawkesbury basin you will realise the cost would be astronomical and the logistics almost impossible. The amount of working farmland, businesses, thousands of homes and people having to move etc. There has already been millions upon millions of dollars spent bypassing flood prone roads around the Windsor area and I have heard there are plans to raise the Windsor bridge.

There are also many side creeks that back up and take days to subside etc. Once again, the Damn is about to spill over at what cost downstream.

I'm not sure what other options there are really, and to think we were on water restrictions and a desal plant was built not that long ago. I'm not an advocate of destroying any wilderness areas but how do we get around the problem? It's a tough one.
DarrenM
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby GPSGuided » Sun 19 Jun, 2016 10:40 pm

I agree with Darren, it's a very difficult situation given the historical precedent of human settlement in the downstream area and subsequent urbanisation. Of course, there's always that voting factor, that human can vote but plants and native animals can't.
Just move it!
GPSGuided
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby ribuck » Mon 20 Jun, 2016 4:40 am

From nature's point of view, floods are not a bad thing. The floodwaters wash away lots of fertile soil, and it's much better for it to be dropped on the floodplain than washed out to sea or deposited within the dam. Of course there's the problem of how to keep people safe, but one large flood-proof elevated structure every square km or so should do it. We are talking about a once-in-decades occurrence, so people within the flood plain can't reasonably expect not to be inconvenienced to some extent.

If we decide to trap the flood in the Warragamba Dam (where it will dump its sediment), then I like the idea of keeping the dam at 80% capacity for this purpose rather than raising it. Then, we can re-draw the "3km from stored water" prohibited area. This will expand our bushwalking options, and allow for eventual regrowth in the freed-up area.
ribuck
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: Other Country

Postby GPSGuided » Mon 20 Jun, 2016 7:47 am

ribuck wrote:We are talking about a once-in-decades occurrence, so people within the flood plain can't reasonably expect not to be inconvenienced to some extent.

In this age of extreme entitlement, you know this argument won't fly, right?
Just move it!
GPSGuided
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Grabeach » Mon 20 Jun, 2016 10:36 am

Then, we can re-draw the "3km from stored water" prohibited area. This will expand our bushwalking options ..........

Wishful thinking on that one. You may not realise that the original intention apparently was to keep bushwalkers out of the whole Special Areas Restricted Entry region, not just the No Entry '3km' zone. No way will the No Entry Area contract. However, if the stored water is increased, then the No Entry Area will likely be increased as well.
Grabeach
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Giddy_up » Mon 20 Jun, 2016 2:23 pm

gayet wrote:What about moving the people etc out of the flood prone areas? Do it once and the problem is solved.

And it's been done before, whole towns have been moved to facilitate the Snowy Hydro program etc.......

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
causa latet, vis est notissima
Giddy_up
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: Queensland

Postby Giddy_up » Mon 20 Jun, 2016 2:36 pm

I wonder if any of the traditional land owners have been consulted about this and if any of their sites of significance would be lost!

Giddy_up
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Grabeach » Mon 20 Jun, 2016 2:49 pm

.... whole towns have been moved to facilitate the Snowy Hydro program ....

The Snowy Scheme relocated about 1,000 people living in small easily movable wooden houses to unlimited land nearby. Not quite the same as 134,000 living in larger (many brick on slab?) houses in Sydney.
Grabeach
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Giddy_up » Mon 20 Jun, 2016 3:16 pm

Grabeach wrote:

The Snowy Scheme relocated about 1,000 people living in small easily movable wooden houses to unlimited land nearby. Not quite the same as 134,000 living in larger (many brick on slab?) houses in Sydney.

So your saying it can't be done, is that right.

Giddy_up
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Grabeach » Mon 20 Jun, 2016 3:59 pm

Not saying it can’t be done. Technically I’ve no doubt it could. Whether everybody would want to pay for it is another question. I’m just pointing out some of the differences between what was done then and what would need to be done now.
Grabeach
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby DarrenM » Mon 20 Jun, 2016 4:30 pm

Giddy_up wrote:
Grabeach wrote:

I think you would need to spend time traveling along the entire area affected to truly understand the size and scope of the problem. It's massive in so many ways.

Giddy_up wrote:I wonder if any of the traditional land owners have been consulted about this and if any of their sites of significance would be lost!

This will no doubt be lower down on the agenda unfortunately. The whole of Sydney was built without consultation.
DarrenM
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Giddy_up » Mon 20 Jun, 2016 4:37 pm

DarrenM wrote:
Giddy_up wrote:
Grabeach wrote:[quote].... whole towns have been moved to facilitate the Snowy Hydro program ....

I think you would need to spend time traveling along the entire area affected to truly understand the size and scope of the problem. It's massive in so many ways.

Giddy_up wrote:I wonder if any of the traditional land owners have been consulted about this and if any of their sites of significance would be lost!

This will no doubt be lower down on the agenda unfortunately. The whole of Sydney was built without consultation.[/quote]

I know the area well, it's just money and a want to do it that's needed and a shame about the indigenous input but you're quite right on any consultation with them.

Giddy_up
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Next

Return to New South Wales & ACT