Blue Mountains walk suggestions sought

NSW & ACT specific bushwalking discussion.
Forum rules
NSW & ACT specific bushwalking discussion. Please avoid publishing details of access to sensitive areas with no tracks.

Blue Mountains walk suggestions sought

Postby Lophophaps » Sat 09 Jul, 2016 9:30 am

It looks like I'll have about 10 days in the Blue Mountains in early 2017, and wish to do some walks, no surprise there. The Six Foot Track is a good start, barely need a map. However, while it's a an important walk, it may not have the remoteness that I seek. I'm normally quite comfortable off-track, but given the plungeness of the region, have no wish to get bushed, so I want to stick to tracks or places that are reasonably foolproof. Ascents and descents are ok, can manage 1000 metres in a day, but would prefer not to.

One aspect that concerns me is water. My understanding is that many of the creeks and rivers are very unwell, unfit for drinking unless treated, and in some cases, not at all. I'd like to have trips with good water. There will be no car, just trains and buses.

The big problem with the region is the choice. There are so many good walks that it's very hard to choose. I'm happy doing one walk of up to about 10 days.

Advice as to which walks fit the above would be valued. TIA.
Lophophaps
Auctorita modica
Auctorita modica

Region: Victoria

Re: Blue Mountains walk suggestions sought

Postby GPSGuided » Sat 09 Jul, 2016 10:52 am

Start from Blackheath, Perrys Lookdown and related would be a good start.
Just move it!
GPSGuided
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: New South Wales

Postby Lophophaps » Sat 09 Jul, 2016 12:36 pm

That was on my short list, which I now may expand. I was going to do the Great North Walk first. Just after I posted the above I found a picture of the GNW, concrete in suburbia, a shared path with bicycles. I'm not going to NSW to walk on concrete, so I may give part or all of the GNW a miss, which means more time in the Blue Mountains. Hence, I may be looking at up to a month of walks.
Lophophaps
Auctorita modica
Auctorita modica

Postby GPSGuided » Sat 09 Jul, 2016 3:36 pm

With the Blue Mountains, without a car, you'll just need to find the shortest path b/n the station and track head. For the variety, I'd say Blackheath area is good for consideration. Otherwise Wentworth Falls is not bad either. Katoomba is full of tourists if that's ok with you.

For other locations in Sydney, GNW sections starts to get interesting once beyond Hornsby station. You can access various tracks via Cowan and Berowra stations and beyond. Going south, Waterfall and Heathcote stations are good for accessing the Royal National Park.
Just move it!
GPSGuided
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Mark F » Sat 09 Jul, 2016 5:47 pm

Why not consider Mittagong - Katoomba via Kanangra Walls. Superb country and lots of options between Yerranderie and the Walls. The standard ways off Scott's or Uni Rover Trail etc. I am sure somebody could put in a food drop at the Walls to keep the pack weight down. The train from Melbourne possibly stops at Mittagong and a taxi ride out to the top of Starlights.
"Perfection is attained not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing more to remove".
Mark F
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: Australian Capital Territory

Postby jonnosan » Sat 09 Jul, 2016 10:21 pm

I would second Mark's suggestion. Most of the 6 foot track is walking on a dirt road past farms, which feels rural rather than wilderness. The Mittagong to Katoomba route does involve some fire trails but still feels much more wild.
With respect to water quality, it all depends on what the catchment is. So Cox's river (which flows past roads and farms) is pretty bad, but the Kowmung river catchment is all wilderness, and it's water is great.
jonnosan
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Postby johnk1 » Sat 09 Jul, 2016 11:25 pm

I agree with the Hilltop to Katoomba suggestion.

Quite easy to follow if you aren't to bothered by firetrails but plenty of off track if you want that.

The Blue Breaks or parts of it could be added in to this walk.

There is plenty of info online and there are a few on this forum with quite a bit of experience in the Blue Breaks.

Cheers.

John
johnk1
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Lophophaps » Sun 10 Jul, 2016 7:22 am

Six Foot Track rural, can't drink water from Coxs River ... appeal dropping markedly. Maybe start the GNW at Hornsby, one food drop at a post office if possible, or lug food for the entire trip. This now gives 10-14 days in another place, perhaps two trips. I'm agreeable to taking taxis - it's still less cost than driving from Melbourne. This could be a first for me - train from the airport to the start of a walk. I've used cars, buses, taxis, boats, and planes, but never a train. Melbourne has no airport train, and is lagging Sydney.

I'll look at the walks sugegsted. Unfortunately some websites are not very good in that they lack an overall map, a summary and decent track notes. I only found out about the GNW and suburbia by accident. None of the four books I have mentions poor water quality.
Lophophaps
Auctorita modica
Auctorita modica

Postby LachlanB » Sun 10 Jul, 2016 8:35 am

If you wanted to avoid catching a taxi, you could catch the bus to Hill Top that runs along the Old Loop Line. Sydney Trains has the details on its website, but from memory the service is actually operated by Berrima Buslines. That'd leave you with nearly 10km walk out along Wattle Ridge Firetrail though...
LachlanB
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Lophophaps » Mon 11 Jul, 2016 2:11 pm

The walk from Hilltop to Katoomba looks viable. I've found a number of websites. The Robert Sloss books should be okay, but I'd want to peruse it before buying. Most of the websites I've seen have track notes but no maps, and any maps are like the GNW - not that good. Could someone please advise me of a good website for Hilltop to Katoomba track notes and map? At this stage I'm thinking train to Mittagong, Hilltop to Katoomba, train to Sydney, Hornsby to Newcastle, and train to the airport.
Lophophaps
Auctorita modica
Auctorita modica

Postby tom_brennan » Mon 11 Jul, 2016 3:02 pm

You can view topo maps here:
http://maps.ozultimate.com/
I’d suggest having a good look at routes and route options.

Other comments
- GNW is not really that urban, particularly once past Hornsby. However, it does pass suburbs or towns every so often. You’ll probably need the towns/suburbs as the track tends to run in suburban/rural catchments, which would be suspect for drinking.
- While Coxs River is not drinkable (well most people don’t) there are regular side creeks that are. They can dry up, but the larger ones will flow for months. Much of the Mittagong/Katoomba walk (depending on route) is wilderness, much of it fairly remote. Much more so than GNW.
- You may need/want to buy some guidebooks. There are walks that aren’t on websites
Bushwalking NSW - http://bushwalkingnsw.com
tom_brennan
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby DaveNoble » Mon 11 Jul, 2016 11:21 pm

You say - "early 2017" - if you are coming in Summer, then you need to factor that in. It can be hot and dry and then walking is unpleasant unless along rivers or streams. Locals either go canyoning or do Tassie trips.

Mittagong to Katoomba is a great walk with a lot of route options involving tracks or off track sections. And it offers a lot of varied terrain. But it is not a walk I would do in summer (best April - October).

For hot weather you may want to consider walks along the Coxs or Kowmung Rivers (these are possible as a big loop walk from Katoomba. Or the Grose River - from Mt Victoria to Blackheath of Leura - public transport friendly. 2 - 3 days taking your time.

The Coastal Track at Royal NP is also a very fine walk - and not too bad in summer with the odd beach and lagoon on the way. Again - public transport friendly.

Dave
DaveNoble
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby GPSGuided » Tue 12 Jul, 2016 12:20 am

DaveNoble wrote:The Coastal Track at Royal NP is also a very fine walk - and not too bad in summer with the odd beach and lagoon on the way.

Just to add that it has limited shelter and is heat stress inducing on hot sunny days. We did it one year in >35 deg C heat with full sun, one member nearly had a heat stroke while the rest suffered closely behind.
Just move it!
GPSGuided
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby ribuck » Tue 12 Jul, 2016 5:32 am

DaveNoble wrote:For hot weather you may want to consider ... the Grose River - from Mt Victoria to Blackheath of Leura - public transport friendly. 2 - 3 days taking your time.

I'll second that suggestion. You can start at Mt Victoria and walk all the way to Richmond. Train connections at both ends. Walking track for the first day or so, then riverbank walking with occasional bits of a very old historic path. People do it in five days, but we took seven days (in mid-summer) and really enjoyed it. We did it a long time ago, and exited through a private camp (YMCA?). I'm not sure if that's still possible, so you would need to check your exit point. It's very satisfying seeing the Grose develop from a creek to a big river as you make your way downstream.
ribuck
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: Other Country

Postby Onestepmore » Thu 14 Jul, 2016 11:05 am

If you decided to walk from Hilltop to Yerranderie and on to Katoomba or Jenolan I could drop you from Picton/Tahmoor/Bargo station to the start of the track near Hilltop - otherwise trudging down Wattle Ridge Drive would be a hot dusty start
Water and a shower would be available at Yerranderie, at the campground in the little historic village.
Dependent of the actual day - I work part time. At this point we're not planning holidays in Jan, as we are walking in Tassie in Dec.
We can learn a lot from crayons. They come in different shapes and colours, but they all have to live in the same box
Onestepmore
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Lophophaps » Thu 14 Jul, 2016 2:45 pm

Thanks for your information. I've decided that the heat, water uncertainty and other factors are not in my favour for this time of year. Maybe the beach.
Lophophaps
Auctorita modica
Auctorita modica

Postby GPSGuided » Thu 14 Jul, 2016 2:53 pm

Wise! Try the coastal walk in RNP. When bad, just hang out at a beach. But camp sites require booking.
Just move it!
GPSGuided
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Return to New South Wales & ACT