Ferries from Sydney to Bundeena

NSW & ACT specific bushwalking discussion.
Forum rules
NSW & ACT specific bushwalking discussion. Please avoid publishing details of access to sensitive areas with no tracks.

Ferries from Sydney to Bundeena

Postby Stroller » Sun 17 Jul, 2016 12:52 am

I will be landing at airport in Sydney and probably intending to ride straight out on my southward route towards victoria. On my bicycle. If i could avoid all that highway as much as possible, it would be idea. And i'd quite like to stay by the sea as much as possible.

So can i catch a ferry from La Perouse to Kernell and then from Kernell to Bundeena. Or do i have to take the bridge over to Taren Point from Sandringham side and then again, the long way around of the princess highway and Farnell Avenue.
Stroller
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Australia

Re: Ferries from Sydney to Bundeena

Postby Mark F » Sun 17 Jul, 2016 2:14 am

I don't know of a Kurnell to Bundeena ferry. The normal ferry to Bundeena goes from Cronulla.

I also an unaware of a ferry from La Perouse to Kurnell. There used to be one in the very dim and distant past 1960s?
"Perfection is attained not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing more to remove".
Mark F
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: Australian Capital Territory

Postby ribuck » Sun 17 Jul, 2016 5:53 am

Take the train to Cronulla. There's no need to book in advance or anything.

The service is approximately hourly, and the timetable is here:
http://www.cronullaferries.com.au/ferri ... timetable/

[corrected - thanks Grabeach]
Last edited by ribuck on Sun 17 Jul, 2016 5:08 pm, edited 2 times in total.
ribuck
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: Other Country

Postby Grabeach » Sun 17 Jul, 2016 7:56 am

Funnily enough there was an article in the local paper last week of plans to spend $70k on a study on reintroducing the La Perouse to Kurnell ferry. If you can wait several years it may be an option.

Sorry Ribuck, but If you follow the surfers and walk towards the main Cronulla beach, or for that matter if you walk south toward the smaller Gunnamatta Park beach, you WON’T see the ferry wharf, it is on the western side of the railway. You exit the station on the east, head north for a 100m or so and go through a tunnel. You should just about see the wharf from there.
Grabeach
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: New South Wales

Postby cajun » Sun 17 Jul, 2016 8:52 am

Grabeach is correct. Trainfare from the airport is approx $18.00.

But - there is a cycleway from Wolli Creek to Kurnell, so it would be straightforward to get on the cycleway and turn off to Cronulla and the ferry (turn right just before Greenhills, instead of straight ahead to Kurnell). The cycleway will take you over Taren Point bridge and many of the main rd crossings are through tunnels. It is a pretty cool piece of infrastructure.

link here https://www.bikemap.net/en/route/748011-botany-bay-b2b-cycleway-flats/#/z13/-34.02605,151.18011/terrain

Airport to Wolli ck is only a few kms of main rds but they are busy all the time!
And he sees the vision splendid of the sunlit plains extended,
And at night the wondrous glory of the everlasting stars.
cajun
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Grabeach » Sun 17 Jul, 2016 11:41 am

Airport to Wolli ck is only a few kms of main rds but they are busy all the time!

There is a cycleway from the main intersection near the domestic terminal, around the airport on the non airport side of Qantas Drive, past the international terminal, across the Giovanni Brunetti Bridge #, connects with Cajun's Wolli Ck cycleway, under the M5, through the bush, then beside Muddy Ck to come out at Bestic St Kyeemagh. Not sure of the official cycle route from there through the streets, as I used to follow the combined pedestrian / cycleway briefly NE along the other side of the creek, E under General Holmes Drive, then S along the bay all the way to Taren Point Bridge. Other than short sections adjacent to the domestic teminal and about 200m off the GV Bridge, the rest is not on the road at all. This was my route to work at Qantas two or three days a week. It's actually quite a nice ride with varied scenery and no hills at all that I can think of. Could also stop for a swim about half way home if a hot afternoon.

# Named it after the foreman of the company that built it!
Grabeach
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Stroller » Sun 17 Jul, 2016 9:15 pm

Thanks all. So i should ride from the domestic airport to the cronulla via the bike path to at least the bridge. Does the bike path continue all the way to Cronulla where the ferry leaves. When i said Kernell, i meant cronulla they look to be about the same place on my map.

Is there a nice big supermarket and shopping centre in Cronulla? if not where is the nearest? And if i have to get some work done on my bike, where is the best place for me to get that done?
Stroller
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby GPSGuided » Sun 17 Jul, 2016 10:01 pm

Cronulla is a major metro centre and has all the shops you want. Coles, Woolworths etc, you name it. No shortage of bike shops either.
http://j.mp/29H351p
Just move it!
GPSGuided
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby ribuck » Sun 17 Jul, 2016 11:47 pm

Stroller wrote:Does the bike path continue all the way to Cronulla where the ferry leaves.

Not all the way to Cronulla, but near enough. OpenCycleMap shows your cycling options (and also shows the ferry route):
http://opencyclemap.org/?zoom=12&lat=-3 ... yers=B0000

If you zoom in, it even highlights the bike shops.
ribuck
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: Other Country

Postby cajun » Mon 18 Jul, 2016 9:53 am

Cronulla is 10-15 minutes by bike from the turnoff I indicated - mostly along quiet roads that run along the beach. You do need to go through Cronulla township to an extent to get to the Ferry.
And he sees the vision splendid of the sunlit plains extended,
And at night the wondrous glory of the everlasting stars.
cajun
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Stroller » Mon 18 Jul, 2016 11:04 pm

Ok good. the map link doesn't work though. Its not a big deal.
Stroller
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby johnw » Tue 19 Jul, 2016 12:05 am

Stroller wrote:Ok good. the map link doesn't work though. Its not a big deal.

That link seems to work OK for me with Firefox. Just re-reading your original post and objective to stay close to the sea. You may already know, but one thing to be aware of is that bikes are not permitted on the Coast Track in Royal NP. In any case you'd need to be Danny MacAskill to ride parts of it. However you can ride in to various points via fire trails and roads, including Big Marley and Little Marley Trails, Curra Moors Trail, plus the vehicle roads to Wattamolla and Garie. Enjoy.
John W

In Nature's keeping they are safe, but through the agency of man destruction is making rapid progress - John Muir c1912
johnw
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby GPSGuided » Tue 19 Jul, 2016 1:15 am

The ride out of Bundeena is a good workout. Yet again, going into RNP at Audley will also hit you with a 10+% grade climb out of Audley weir. The easiest is the route taken by the annual Gong Ride ie. Along Princes Hwy and then dive into RNP at Waterfall. Mostly comfortable 5-7% going out to Otford through rainforest.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Just move it!
GPSGuided
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Stroller » Fri 22 Jul, 2016 9:25 pm

johnw wrote:
Stroller wrote:Ok good. the map link doesn't work though. Its not a big deal.

That link seems to work OK for me with Firefox. Just re-reading your original post and objective to stay close to the sea. You may already know, but one thing to be aware of is that bikes are not permitted on the Coast Track in Royal NP. In any case you'd need to be Danny MacAskill to ride parts of it. However you can ride in to various points via fire trails and roads, including Big Marley and Little Marley Trails, Curra Moors Trail, plus the vehicle roads to Wattamolla and Garie. Enjoy.

I've actually walked some of the park before and have a clear idea of what the terrain is like. I didn't need to be right on the sea though I am trying to avoid the highway. I''ll look at those trails next time i'm looking at the map.
Stroller
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Stroller » Fri 22 Jul, 2016 9:35 pm

GPSGuided wrote:The ride out of Bundeena is a good workout. Yet again, going into RNP at Audley will also hit you with a 10+% grade climb out of Audley weir. The easiest is the route taken by the annual Gong Ride ie. Along Princes Hwy and then dive into RNP at Waterfall. Mostly comfortable 5-7% going out to Otford through rainforest.
Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I won't be going near Audley. I will head south from Bundeena to Otford. I think will have to turn off the main road at governors game lookout but i'd prefer to cur across using the walking track i can see but it won't work if its steep which i can't tell from this map. The track starts at the carpark. Do you know this track? Could I even wheel my bike along it? If its not very steep, and the path was clear, i'd do that to save the long detour on the road.

http://www.cartoscope.com.au/maps/suthl ... lnatpk.pdf
Stroller
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby GPSGuided » Fri 22 Jul, 2016 9:57 pm

As said, the ride out of Bundeena, as from the township to Sir Bertram Stevens Dr is quite long and pretty much climbing all the way. That'll take a bit out of you. From the T-junction to Otford will be ok and quite pleasant.
Just move it!
GPSGuided
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Stroller » Sat 23 Jul, 2016 1:27 am

I misunderstood.
Stroller
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides