Bushwalker lost In Blue Mountains

NSW & ACT specific bushwalking discussion.
Forum rules
NSW & ACT specific bushwalking discussion. Please avoid publishing details of access to sensitive areas with no tracks.

Bushwalker lost In Blue Mountains

Postby Lindsay » Fri 29 Jul, 2016 8:03 am

Police received a phone call last night from a bushwalker lost near Wentworth Falls. The search resumed at 0700. Not located so far.

http://www.smh.com.au/nsw/bushwalker-sp ... qg7ze.html
Lindsay
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Region: New South Wales

Re: Bushwalker lost In Blue Mountains

Postby johnw » Fri 29 Jul, 2016 1:42 pm

Lindsay wrote:Police received a phone call last night from a bushwalker lost near Wentworth Falls. The search resumed at 0700. Not located so far.

http://www.smh.com.au/nsw/bushwalker-sp ... qg7ze.html

Found around soon after 8 am I believe. Same link above has been updated - ankle injury and hypothermia but expected to recover. Good outcome given the circumstances reported. Another report I read said he was on the Wentworth Pass. How one would get lost on that I don't know, unless something has changed dramatically within the last 9 months.
John W

In Nature's keeping they are safe, but through the agency of man destruction is making rapid progress - John Muir c1912
johnw
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby LachlanB » Fri 29 Jul, 2016 4:20 pm

It's not as hard to believe as it might seem, especially if you don't know the area. I've run into someone heading downstream from Vera Falls thinking that they were going the right way to Empress Falls, and someone at the base of Slack's Staircase who though that they'd been on National Pass, rather than Wentworth Pass.
LachlanB
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby johnw » Fri 29 Jul, 2016 10:53 pm

LachlanB wrote:It's not as hard to believe as it might seem, especially if you don't know the area. I've run into someone heading downstream from Vera Falls thinking that they were going the right way to Empress Falls, and someone at the base of Slack's Staircase who though that they'd been on National Pass, rather than Wentworth Pass.

Agreed on those points Lachlan, I've had similar encounters, but those people were geographically confused rather than lost (yet). What I was getting at is that it's a mostly well defined track and unusual that anyone would stray off it. Wentworth Pass is pretty short; if he stayed with it both ends link to other tracks that will take you to back civilisation, and the signage is good having been upgraded in recent years. One creek crossing is a bit vague at first glance so maybe that could have had an influence, given that it sounds like inexperience may have played a part - no food or water carried etc. We'll probably never know.
John W

In Nature's keeping they are safe, but through the agency of man destruction is making rapid progress - John Muir c1912
johnw
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby GPSGuided » Sat 30 Jul, 2016 7:16 am

Given that some people just can't read maps properly, even at a basic level, so anything is possible.
Just move it!
GPSGuided
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby sharpstones » Sat 30 Jul, 2016 7:19 pm

I would guess that they weren't carrying a map - but you can't rule out possible incapacitation so perhaps they weren't as lost as it may be sounding; rather stuck in one place / couldn't extricate himself.
sharpstones
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby Vern » Wed 03 Aug, 2016 11:02 am

He was on the track at Vera Falls and without a torch and the onset of night he lost the track and spent the night...a cold night!
Vern
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Tasmania

Postby kjbeath » Wed 03 Aug, 2016 11:09 am

The confusion about Wentworth Pass may be that a woman broke her leg there only a couple of days later. Blue Mountains Police Rescue have been busy.
kjbeath
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Return to New South Wales & ACT