Great North Walk diversion at Brooklyn?

NSW & ACT specific bushwalking discussion.
Forum rules
NSW & ACT specific bushwalking discussion. Please avoid publishing details of access to sensitive areas with no tracks.

Great North Walk diversion at Brooklyn?

Postby jrg » Sun 21 Aug, 2016 3:10 pm

I walked the Cowan to Brooklyn section of the Great North Walk the other day for the first time in about 5 year and wondered why I hadn't remembered the steep downhill concreted sections coming into Brooklyn before - until I looked at Google Street View and realised that the track seems to have been diverted at some stage.

The old path and new path are both marked on Google Maps - the old path ended on the main street into Brooklyn from where you had to walk down to the railway station, the new one is marked as "Hobo Hill Track" on Google Street View and comes into Brooklyn from the south:
https://www.google.com/maps/@-33.550228 ... a=!3m1!1e3

Can anyone tell me when (and why) this part of the GNW was diverted?
jrg
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Region: New South Wales

Re: Great North Walk diversion at Brooklyn?

Postby ribuck » Sun 21 Aug, 2016 9:25 pm

That's odd. Five months ago I walked what you describe as the "old" track and they were doing maintenance on it. There was no sign of any intention to downgrade the track, nor was the maintenance so extensive that it would need a long-term diversion.

From a walker's point of view, the "old track" is the better route.
ribuck
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: Other Country

Postby johnw » Mon 22 Aug, 2016 9:59 am

Coincidentally I had been thinking of re-visiting this walk myself last Saturday but ended up doing Berowra to Cowan instead. When I competed in the Oxfam Trailwalker event in 2012, I know the diversion was there in the months leading up to it when I completed a training session from Brooklyn to Cowan. Having walked Cowan to Brooklyn a few years prior to that and finishing on the "old" route, I remember not being able to find the start of it at Brooklyn, and being confused by the information from the event organisers. I was quite surprised to eventually find that massive steep concrete path up the hill, which looked new-ish at the time, but I've no idea how long it had already been in existence. I agree that the old track is better.
John W

In Nature's keeping they are safe, but through the agency of man destruction is making rapid progress - John Muir c1912
johnw
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Rob Gosford » Tue 23 Aug, 2016 10:11 am

jrg wrote:Can anyone tell me when (and why) this part of the GNW was diverted?

first time I walked Cowan to Brooklyn was on 9 July 2011. Here's a photo coming into Brooklyn on "the new track". geeeez its steep..............had to put the gears into reverse going down the boring concrete. Its a bug*er going the other way tho...............

IMG_2982 (800x600).jpg
IMG_2982 (800x600).jpg (443.58 KiB) Viewed 11141 times

Have gone up the "old track" near the last house on Brooklyn Rd near the rail bridge a number of times. MUCH prefer to start a hike at Brooklyn on the "old track". Half way up look back and there are great views back to Little Wobby.

the new concreted track was built before July 2011

8)
Rob Gosford
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby rcaffin » Tue 23 Aug, 2016 10:06 pm

The concrete is a really nasty hack in aid of getting the BFB tankers up the hill in a fire. Yeah, just a shade steep! But really it is very short.
Cheers
Roger
rcaffin
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby johnw » Thu 25 Aug, 2016 11:11 pm

rcaffin wrote:The concrete is a really nasty hack in aid of getting the BFB tankers up the hill in a fire. Yeah, just a shade steep! But really it is very short.
Cheers
Roger

Ah! Thanks Roger, that at least makes some sense of why it's there. My first encounter left me scratching my head.
John W

In Nature's keeping they are safe, but through the agency of man destruction is making rapid progress - John Muir c1912
johnw
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Rob Gosford » Sat 27 Aug, 2016 12:23 pm

Rob Gosford wrote:MUCH prefer to start a hike at Brooklyn on the "old track". Half way up look back and there are great views back to Little Wobby.

going up the "old track".........

Untitled.jpg
Untitled.jpg (86.8 KiB) Viewed 11044 times
Rob Gosford
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby johnw » Sun 28 Aug, 2016 1:31 pm

Rob Gosford wrote:
Rob Gosford wrote:MUCH prefer to start a hike at Brooklyn on the "old track". Half way up look back and there are great views back to Little Wobby.

going up the "old track".........

All this discussion prompted me to go and revisit this walk yesterday. I ended up descending the "Hobo Hill" boring concrete section into Brooklyn, but noted the trail heading downhill at the 1.3km to go sign. I assume this is the old route as it aligns with the google maps link earlier in this topic and looks like the photo above. I noticed that the very top section of the concrete bit has "2012" engraved on it. I'm guessing it was done in stages, with the top being the last one. And I'd forgotten how much the climb out of Jerusalem Bay gets the blood pumping.
John W

johnw
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Rob Gosford » Sun 28 Aug, 2016 6:52 pm

johnw wrote:All this discussion prompted me to go and revisit this walk yesterday.

great weather for it John ! 8)

johnw wrote:And I'd forgotten how much the climb out of Jerusalem Bay gets the blood pumping.

its just hard going down as it is UP ! :lol: especially at my more "mature age"
Rob Gosford
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby jrg » Thu 01 Sep, 2016 10:33 pm

Thanks for the explanations everyone - helpful to know. It's strange that there never seems to have been any signage diverting the route.
jrg
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby johnw » Thu 01 Sep, 2016 10:48 pm

Rob Gosford wrote:great weather for it John ! 8)

It sure was Rob, I had a very enjoyable day :D.

jrg wrote:Thanks for the explanations everyone - helpful to know. It's strange that there never seems to have been any signage diverting the route.

The same thought crossed my mind last Saturday. I considered taking the unsignposted route, which I must have followed years ago, but needed to make the next train and decided not to risk it. Will definitely take it next time I do that walk again.
John W

johnw
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby roysta » Thu 15 Sep, 2016 6:25 pm

Yes the old route goes off exactly where the distance sign is.
I do this walk a lot and never use the blasted concrete section.
But as mentioned earlier, it was put in for Rural Fire Service purposes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
roysta
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Postby skibug » Sat 17 Sep, 2016 11:59 pm

Roger wrote:

"The concrete is a really nasty hack in aid of getting the BFB tankers up the hill in a fire. Yeah, just a shade steep! But really it is very short.
Cheers
Roger"

Prior to this new access any vehicle (RFS, railways, National Park, council etc) needed to cross the rail line downhill from Brooklyn dam, or at another point to the west, pretty dangerous and unacceptable. Hence the new road, which ironically would be pretty dangerous if you had brake problems. I haven't used the old track for years, but am often tempted because it would be a km shorter, and is not as steep. It also drops you straight into town, with the bakery, Pub, flushing toilets and marina all singing to the senses like Sirens.

On a similar note, does anyone know if the main camping area next to Brooklyn dam has re-opened, it was closed 6 months ago for branch lopping?

Skibug.
skibug
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Return to New South Wales & ACT