Threat to historic Gladstone Pass

NSW & ACT specific bushwalking discussion.
Forum rules
NSW & ACT specific bushwalking discussion. Please avoid publishing details of access to sensitive areas with no tracks.

Threat to historic Gladstone Pass

Postby Geebung » Tue 23 Aug, 2016 12:05 am

As some of you know, the beautiful and historic Gladstone Pass starts just behind the Fairmont Resort in Leura.

A few months ago, when I tried to access the pass, I discovered that the Fairmont were building a new structure, right at the trackhead. Workers on site told me it was a 'treehouse', but the management were unforthcoming with any further details. As I suspected, this was an illegal development, and after notifying Blue Mountains City Council the Fairmont were ordered to cease work immediately, and have since been fined $6,000.

They are now seeking development approval, with the DA currently on exhibition here (see the documents section):
https://www2.bmcc.nsw.gov.au/datracking ... ?id=568434

As you can see, the application is for a small 'eco-cabin' and observation deck. The environmental assessment is a complete joke, and there is no mention at all of Gladstone Pass. I have serious concerns about future access to the pass if this development is to go ahead. From the plans, it looks like the cabin will be an accommodation facility, and I very much doubt that the resort will be welcoming of smelly bushwalkers popping up out of the rainforest directly below a cabin housing their paying guests. It is a completely inappropriate location for such a development.

I will be making a submission to Council on this proposal, and would encourage others to do so too. The closing date is Wednesday 31 August. Submissions must be in writing and should quote the application reference number: X/790/2016. You can send correspondence to council@bmcc.nsw.gov.au

For photos of beautiful Gladstone Pass, see my post here:
http://wildbluewanders.com/2015/05/gladstone-pass/

And just to finish, here are some photos of the illegal construction activities.
Thanks for reading.

Photo 1.JPG
Gladstone Pass starts just behind these signs, dropping steeply down towards the creekline
Photo 1.JPG (234.31 KiB) Viewed 17378 times

Photo 7.JPG
According to the environmental assessment, the proposal 'involves no removal of trees or vegetation'
Photo 7.JPG (226.25 KiB) Viewed 17378 times

Photo 5.JPG
Location of the new development, and the start of Gladstone Pass
Geebung
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Region: New South Wales

Re: Threat to historic Gladstone Pass

Postby Allchin09 » Tue 23 Aug, 2016 2:05 am

Wow, thanks for letting us know. I'll have a look into the matter ASAP.
Tackling the unknown and the awesome one adventure at a time!

Check out my latest trips at http://aoacblog.wordpress.com/posts
Allchin09
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Sydney Bush Walkers

Postby peregrinator » Tue 23 Aug, 2016 10:37 am

Geebung, my submission sent.
peregrinator
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: Victoria

Postby Tyreless » Tue 23 Aug, 2016 10:45 am

I'm curious. The DA form says the land on which the works are proposed are privately owned. The survey shows a right-of-footway crossing the land - is that the access to the Gladstone Pass track? If so it appears from the published documents that there is nothing in the proposal that would change the existing right of access.
Tyreless

Postby Geebung » Tue 23 Aug, 2016 2:04 pm

Thanks so much Alex and Peregrinator.

Tyreless, to briefly answer your question (I'm just on my phone at the moment), the right of way that is shown on the plans is the first couple of hundred metres of the pass, but then where the right of way meets the access road, you follow the access road to the end, and the pass continues SW from there (unmarked on the plans).

The access road has been there since I first discovered Gladstone Pass a couple of years ago, but apparently it is relatively new (only 2-3 years old) and built without consent. It seems it destroyed some of the original track formations when it was built too.
Geebung
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby Geebung » Tue 23 Aug, 2016 2:14 pm

Or in other words, you will have to walk between the observation deck and the eco-cabin in order to access Gladstone Pass.
Geebung
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby sharpstones » Thu 25 Aug, 2016 10:54 pm

I noticed something going on the last time I was around Gladstone Pass which was a good couple months back. I was wondering what someone was up to building what looked like a boardwalk.

It will be interesting to see the outcome and details of the approval but as long as the owners of the Fairmont Resort don’t mind the occasional bushwalker in the area I'll be happy. There looks to be enough distance between the cabin and track head (referring to the yellow warning sign starting point) so bushwalkers in my mind will go by unnoticed.

Apart from that, has anyone noticed the designated de-leaching "observation deck" area which is also in plan? What about the strategically placed toilet for the bushwalker? Doubtless it will end up being locked if it ever gets built...
sharpstones
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby jonnosan » Fri 26 Aug, 2016 7:44 am

Geebung wrote:The access road has been there since I first discovered Gladstone Pass a couple of years ago, but apparently it is relatively new (only 2-3 years old) and built without consent. It seems it destroyed some of the original track formations when it was built too.

There has been a road there for a very long time, I think the alignment changed a little bit when it was upgraded though. I think the original track used by the miners getting to Gladstone Mine is long since gone except for the stonework sections down in the gorge. The formed but unmaintained walking track above the road (some of which was removed by the road upgrade) would have been put in by the resort.

BTW as I understand it, the history of the area is something like:
- 1880s - Gladstone Mine is built, including miners village up top, track cut down through the gorge to the mine, and a overhead ropeway to carry coal from the mine up to the top. Mine takes a few years to build, but as soon as it opens, it becomes apparent that the price received for the coal in sydney is less than the cost of getting the coal out of the mine, up to the surface via ropeway, to the train station, then to sydney by train. So it rapidly goes bust.
- the land the miners village was on was bought and turned into the Fairmont resort, and over time various walking tracks/huts/etc are built for resort guests to use.
- the ropeway infrastructure was bought by JK North, who has it moved to carry coal from another mine he opens up at the ruined castle to the base of what is now the scenic railway, but the ropes keep breaking and after a few years they stop trying to repair it and instead build a tramway that is now the line of the Federal Pass.
- the land with the mine (and the canyon through which the miner track was cut) reverts to crown land
- in early 1900s Charles Lindeman finances construction of a track along the bottom of the cliffline joining up the wentworth falls tourist tracks with the katoomba tourist tracks. This initiative is opposed by the katoomba council, as the katoomba shopkeepers are concerned that tourists will use the tracks paid for by katoomba, but spend all their money at the wentworth falls shops. Track is never completed, and falls into disrepair
- in 1980s Jim Smith, Wilf Hilder and others find remnants of the Lindeman track, and discover, clear & restore both the Lindeman track and some other tracks that can be used to access it, including Roberts Pass and Gladstone Pass. They take advantage of the resorts walking tracks in order to access the older tracks they are clearing, and thus essentially link up the historic tracks with the resorts tracks.

Just laying this out because I think it's important for us bushwalkers to recognise that in many situations around katoomba, it is us bushwalkers who have (over time) been encroaching on pre-existing commercial interests, it's not always the other way around.
jonnosan

Postby Grabeach » Fri 26 Aug, 2016 6:00 pm

in 1980s Jim Smith, Wilf Hilder and others find remnants of the Lindeman track, and discover, clear & restore both the Lindeman track and some other tracks that can be used to access it, including Roberts Pass and Gladstone Pass. They take advantage of the resorts walking tracks in order to access the older tracks they are clearing, and thus essentially link up the historic tracks with the resorts tracks.
Just laying this out because I think it's important for us bushwalkers to recognise that in many situations around katoomba, it is us bushwalkers who have (over time) been encroaching on pre-existing commercial interests, it's not always the other way around.

Not quite the way I understand it. When the tracks were rediscovered in the 1980s, there were no 'resort' tracks. What existed were the council tourist tracks and remains of the mining tracks, less the parts where the Leura Golf Course had acquired the land and cleared it. The massive Fairmont Resort proposal then came along. As part of the conditions for the approval, the Fairmont had to put in an access track for the Gladstone Pass from Sublime Point Rd.

In general, while there were a few private (including resort such as the Hydro) constructed tracks, I'd suggest that a more common Blue Mountains scenario were that some of the tracks constructed in the bush on public land by the various trusts were built on for commercial interests, housing and associated fire trails, albeit with the approval of the council officers who took over the running of the trusts from the trustees.

If you can get hold of a copy, The Blue Mountains District Walking Track Heritage Study (1999) is interesting reading.
Grabeach
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby jonnosan » Fri 26 Aug, 2016 6:27 pm

Grabeach wrote:Not quite the way I understand it. When the tracks were rediscovered in the 1980s, there were no 'resort' tracks. What existed were the council tourist tracks and remains of the mining tracks, less the parts where the Leura Golf Course had acquired the land and cleared it. The massive Fairmont Resort proposal then came along. As part of the conditions for the approval, the Fairmont had to put in an access track for the Gladstone Pass from Sublime Point Rd.

In general, while there were a few private (including resort such as the Hydro) constructed tracks, I'd suggest that a more common Blue Mountains scenario were that some of the tracks constructed in the bush on public land by the various trusts were built on for commercial interests, housing and associated fire trails, albeit with the approval of the council officers who took over the running of the trusts from the trustees.

Cheers Grabeach - as usual you have increased my knowledge , glad to have been corrected.

Grabeach wrote:If you can get hold of a copy, The Blue Mountains District Walking Track Heritage Study (1999) is interesting reading.
Thanks for the suggestion: is this the one? http://www.aicomos.com/wp-content/uploa ... -study.pdf
jonnosan

Postby rcaffin » Fri 26 Aug, 2016 8:12 pm

- in 1980s Jim Smith, Wilf Hilder and others find remnants of the Lindeman track, and discover, clear & restore both the Lindeman track and some other tracks that can be used to access it, including Roberts Pass and Gladstone Pass.

Jim records that he was assailed by the Blue Mts Council for making illegal tracks (or something similar) when he and his mates reopened the track. That accusation fell a bit flat when Jim pointed out that the Lindeman Pass had been officially opened and dedicated by the BMC way back when, and NEVER UNDEDICATED! Mumbling retreat into background by bureaucrats... (Or something very closely along those lines.)

Cheers
Roger
rcaffin
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Grabeach » Fri 26 Aug, 2016 8:31 pm

Thanks for the suggestion: is this the one? http://www.aicomos.com/wp-content/uploa ... -study.pdf

jonnosan,
No, though your document draws from and references (Pg. 5 endnote 2) the study. The study is a bit larger - 324 pages! It consists of Jim's Historical Report and the MUSEcape/Beaver Heritage Assessment. It's in the Blue Mountains Library catalogue https://bmcc.ent.sirsidynix.net.au/clie ... 7C%7CTitle but seems to be broken down into sections. I have a full copy, if you're in the Caringbah area ......
Graeme
Grabeach
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby jonnosan » Fri 26 Aug, 2016 9:30 pm

Grabeach wrote:I have a full copy, if you're in the Caringbah area ......

Actually I am in Katoomba, so will have a look at the library
jonnosan

Postby Geebung » Mon 29 Aug, 2016 11:23 pm

Just letting you know that the Blue Mountains Conservation Society have been successful in getting an extension to the public exhibition period for this development application, due to the high level of public interest in this proposal. The new closing date for submissions is 14 September 2016.
Geebung
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby Allchin09 » Tue 30 Aug, 2016 9:04 pm

Fantastic, thanks for the update.

I've also spoken with the NPWS area manager for Upper Blue Mountains NP who said that they will be making a submission on a range of matters including access to Gladstone Pass

Allchin09

Postby Geebung » Wed 31 Aug, 2016 10:47 pm

Allchin09 wrote:I've also spoken with the NPWS area manager for Upper Blue Mountains NP who said that they will be making a submission on a range of matters including access to Gladstone Pass

Good work Alex, that's great news.
Geebung
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby jonnosan » Thu 01 Sep, 2016 9:43 am

This was covered in the BM Gazette today - can't find it on the gazette website, so here's a photo
fairmont.jpg
jonnosan

Postby DaveNoble » Fri 02 Sep, 2016 6:43 pm

More information about this issue is in the latest email from the Blue Mountains Conservation Society. Quoting -

You may have noticed a recent article in the Blue Mountains Gazette on the Fairmont Resort being fined by Blue Mountains City Council for undertaking construction works without development approval (go to the Gazette online here. The article is on page 2).

The unauthorised development consists of a dirt road, boardwalk, viewing platform and cabin accommodation, and is located just below the main resort building right on the boundary with the national park. Council has issued a stop work order to prevent further construction and a $6,000 fine.

The Fairmont has now lodged a development application (X790/2016) to enable the development to proceed. You can view the development application at the Council's website - http://www.bmcc.nsw.gov.au/index.cfm.

The Society opposes the development given the highly sensitive nature of the site. We are urging members to make a submission to the development application raising the following concerns:

The development is inappropriate as it is located on highly sensitive land zoned E2 Environmental Conservation.
The development application fails to assess the environmental impacts of the development including impacts on regionally significant vegetation and nearby watercourses.
The development has the potential to impact on a Blue Mountains Swamp located downstream of the development.
The development application does not address the impacts of the proposal on continued public access, or the heritage values, of the historic Gladstone Pass walking track.
Part of the dirt road used to access the cabin and viewing platform is located within the national park, raising serious concerns about private development happening within a national park.

Email your submission to Blue Mountains City Council at council@bmcc.nsw.gov.au or post to Locked Bag 1005, Katoomba NSW 2780.

Include the reference “Fairmont DA X790/2016”. Submissions must be received by COB 14 September 2016.

We suggest you also send a copy of your submission to Blue Mountains National Park, PO Box 552, Katoomba or via email at info@environment.nsw.gov.au.
DaveNoble
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby climberman » Fri 02 Sep, 2016 6:52 pm

rcaffin wrote:
- in 1980s Jim Smith, Wilf Hilder and others find remnants of the Lindeman track, and discover, clear & restore both the Lindeman track and some other tracks that can be used to access it, including Roberts Pass and Gladstone Pass.

Jim records that he was assailed by the Blue Mts Council for making illegal tracks (or something similar) when he and his mates reopened the track. That accusation fell a bit flat when Jim pointed out that the Lindeman Pass had been officially opened and dedicated by the BMC way back when, and NEVER UNDEDICATED! Mumbling retreat into background by bureaucrats... (Or something very closely along those lines.)

Cheers
Roger

LOL, that's as good as when they wanted to ban camping at the end of Mt York Rd.... and found it was a dedicated camping reserve. Much better outcome now.
climberman

Postby Grabeach » Sat 03 Sep, 2016 8:55 am

Reading the Gazette article, one almost feels sorry for poor struggling Jerry, until you notice this from The Australian:-

"Visiting billionaire hotel mogul and cosmetic surgeon Jerry Schwartz at home is akin to stepping into a train wreck. But the nation’s largest private owner of hotels is keen to show off his new $25 million purchase, Loch Maree, which covers more than 2000sqm on Vaucluse Bay, and is billed as one of Sydney’s 10 most expensive residential homes — even though it is undergoing extensive renovations.
I’ve lost count of the number of builders here, says Schwartz, who aggressively buys hotels, and as a sideline works as a cosmetic surgeon specialising in liposuction and eyelid reductions.
Schwartz’s renovations to the six-bedroom mansion, designed by Michael Dysart, include tearing down brick walls to let in more light and to enhance views of Vaucluse Bay, as well as his private beach, jetty and self-contained boat house. The hotelier also plans to carpet the mansion’s stone floors, even though they were quarried from a 14th century convent in France by Burgundian monks.
We are going to carpet it, it is winter, it will be cold and it will echo, he says. Even the longevity of the Leonard French stained-glass feature windows is up in the air."

Just the type we (don't) need in an environmentally sensitive area.
Grabeach
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Allchin09 » Wed 07 Sep, 2016 11:24 pm

I received the following information from Blue Mountains Conservation Society and thought it may be of interest to people here:

Unauthorised Development at Fairmont Resort
Write a Submission

You may have noticed a recent article in the Blue Mountains Gazette on the Fairmont Resort being fined by Blue Mountains City Council for undertaking construction works without development approval.

The unauthorised development consists of a dirt road, boardwalk, viewing platform and cabin accommodation, and is located just below the main resort building right on the boundary with the national park. Council has issued a stop work order to prevent further construction and a $6,000 fine.

The Fairmont has now lodged a development application (X790/2016) to enable the development to proceed. You can view the development application on Council’s website https://www2.bmcc.nsw.gov.au/datracking ... ?id=568434.

The Society opposes the development given the highly sensitive nature of the site. We are urging members to make a submission to the development application raising the following concerns:

• The development is inappropriate as it is located on highly sensitive land zoned E2 Environmental Conservation.
  • The development application fails to assess the environmental impacts of the development including impacts on regionally significant vegetation and nearby watercourses.
  • The development has the potential to impact on a Blue Mountains Swamp located downstream of the development.
  • The development application does not address the impacts of the proposal on continued public access, or the heritage values, of the historic Gladstone Pass walking track.
  • Part of the dirt road used to access the cabin and viewing platform is located within the national park, raising serious concerns about private development happening within a national park.

Email your submission to Blue Mountains City Council at council@bmcc.nsw.gov.au or post to Locked Bag 1005, Katoomba NSW 2780.

Include the reference “Fairmont DA X790/2016”. Submissions must be received by COB 14 September 2016.

We suggest you also send a copy of your submission to Blue Mountains National Park, PO Box 552, Katoomba or via email at info@environment.nsw.gov.au.

More information is available on the Society’s website http://bluemountains.org.au/lep-information.htm

Allchin09

Return to New South Wales & ACT