wog wog to yadboro

NSW & ACT specific bushwalking discussion.
Forum rules
NSW & ACT specific bushwalking discussion. Please avoid publishing details of access to sensitive areas with no tracks.

wog wog to yadboro

Postby jfoldbar » Thu 25 Aug, 2016 3:33 pm

hi all. im new here.
i am planning a 3 day walk from wog wog camping ground, past the castle to yadboro. i have organised my schedual and stuff but there is one thing im still trying to work out and hope someone here knows.

my plan is to take 2 cars to the yadboro end, drop off 1 car and all drive to the wog wog end. then when we walk to yadboro we have a car waiting for us.

what im not sure of is what is the quickest way to drive from yadboro to wog wog? down or up and around?

tia
jfoldbar
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Region: New South Wales

Re: wog wog to yadboro

Postby Grabeach » Thu 25 Aug, 2016 9:48 pm

Basically three ways you can go. Seems to not be a great deal of difference.
1. Princes H'way and 'Sassafras' Rd - Google Maps says 2 hr 31 min.
2. Princes then Kings H'ways GM 2 hr 46 min.
3. Direct south on Clyde Ridge Rd (preferred to Western Distributor Rd) to intersect the Kings H'way. This is shorter (by maybe 30km?) and quicker than 2. Note that it has been decades since I went this way. Some of the Canberra people probably have up to date info.
Grabeach
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby goanna » Fri 26 Aug, 2016 10:42 am

I would use the Western Distributor, Kings Hwy, Northangera Rd, Little River Road.
goanna
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Region: Australian Capital Territory

Postby puredingo » Fri 26 Aug, 2016 12:21 pm

If you have time just tack an extra day on to the walk. Head up the Yadboro river from long gully, up Sneddon pass and mosey on back to your waiting vehicle for a nice round trip?
puredingo
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby ribuck » Fri 26 Aug, 2016 5:02 pm

puredingo wrote:If you have time just tack an extra day on to the walk. Head up the Yadboro river from long gully, up Sneddon pass and mosey on back to your waiting vehicle for a nice round trip?

There are plenty of stories on the web of parties who thought the Yadboro River was still a quick and easy way to return to Wog Wog, but unless it has been cleared recently it's very overgrown.
ribuck
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: Other Country

Postby puredingo » Fri 26 Aug, 2016 7:47 pm

I did it in Feb and it definitely ain't no walk in the park....but it is doable.
puredingo
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby yogibarnes » Fri 26 Aug, 2016 8:53 pm

goanna wrote:I would use the Western Distributor, Kings Hwy, Northangera Rd, Little River Road.

Definitely the quickest.
yogibarnes
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Batemans Bay Bushwalkers

Postby jfoldbar » Sun 04 Sep, 2016 4:35 pm

thanks for the replies guys.
i like the concept of walking back in a circle so i dont have to move cars. but since its taking us 3 days to walk one way, i dont see how walking back could be done in 1 day, especially when it would then be up hill.
1 of us cant spare another 3 days to walk back, but i realise the whole moving car thing is bout half a day, that half day could well go into the walking back time, but i reckon id still need 1-2 more days just based on map distance

i have driven the western distibutor about 2 yearys ago. i didnt take any notice how long it took me then and kick myself for not timing it. but it did 'seem' like a long drive so not sure which way is 'actually' faster

but with 2 votes for western distributor, it sounds like the choice.
jfoldbar
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Postby Walk_fat boy_walk » Mon 05 Sep, 2016 1:44 pm

3 votes for the Distributor :)

That said, if you want to avoid the car shuffle you could do this as a return walk from Wog Wog, with some variations on the return to avoid repetition, in 3 days. The only part you would miss is the trudge along the base of the Castle to Kalianna ridge. This would involve camping both nights at either Mt. Cole (in the caves) and/or Bibbenluke and a long second day out to the Castle and back... if you have enough daylight on that day you could return the "back way" between Cole and Owen. Similarly if you had enough daylight you could go via Corang Cascades area on either the first day in or last day out to mix things up (as opposed to Corang Peak/arch in the opposite direction). All doable but 3 pretty long days (or 4 more leisurely ones).

Alternatively if it's quicker/easier to drive to/from Yadboro you could go in via the Castle to Mt. Cole, visit the Corang area as a daytrip on the second day and then out via Owen, or variations on that.

Haven't done Yadboro River/Snedden Pass but it's reputedly a bit of a slog and at a guess pretty tough in a day.
Walk_fat boy_walk
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Return to New South Wales & ACT