Aussie 10 Peaks in October

NSW & ACT specific bushwalking discussion.
Forum rules
NSW & ACT specific bushwalking discussion. Please avoid publishing details of access to sensitive areas with no tracks.

Aussie 10 Peaks in October

Postby Fleb » Tue 30 Aug, 2016 3:33 pm

Hi Everyone,

Just joined the forum and after some advice, used to hike a bit back in my teens but last 10 years or so haven't done anything.... young family seemed to take up my time.

I am currently planning to do a 4 day hike with my wife to cover 10 or so peaks around Kosciuszko and was after some advice on nice places to camp along the way? Looking for some more secluded places where i am not going to end up with 10 or so people around me and i hear some of the Glaciers are quite amazing.

Looking to go in the third weekend of October to hopefully still have a bit of snow around?

Also wanting to get myself back into the swing of things and tackle something like the Viking Circuit next year.

Thanks everyone and feel like i am getting my hiking bug back.

Phil
Fleb
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Region: New South Wales

Re: Aussie 10 Peaks in October

Postby BethJ » Tue 30 Aug, 2016 10:11 pm

Hi Phil,

Have you checked out: http://www.aussie10.com/

I hope to do these later this year or sometime next year. :)
BethJ
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby Lizzy » Wed 31 Aug, 2016 6:32 am

Did this walk in Nov one year and there was a fair bit of snow about and not many people except near Kosci.
Remember no camping in the catchment of the lakes.
This post has a picture of the sign showing the areas not allowed
viewtopic.php?f=36&t=10636
Lizzy
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Mark F » Wed 31 Aug, 2016 10:14 am

Depending on when in October you may find snow a problem. You can get a general idea of snow cover at http://www.snowyhydro.com.au/waterenvironment/snow-depths-calculator/ and the ski field web cams.
"Perfection is attained not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing more to remove".
Mark F
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: Australian Capital Territory

Postby Fleb » Wed 31 Aug, 2016 1:43 pm

Thank you for all the replies, yep have had a good read through the Aussie10 site which sold me on the hike.

The other post containing the map will be really helpful and will keep a close look at the snow reports and cameras for the next month or so.... wont matter to much if i have to delay it for a few weeks.
Fleb
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Postby north-north-west » Wed 31 Aug, 2016 5:02 pm

Glaciers? Rather a grandiose term for Aus.
"Mit der Dummheit kämpfen Götter selbst vergebens."
north-north-west
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Social Misfits Anonymous
Region: Tasmania

Postby Lizzy » Wed 31 Aug, 2016 6:39 pm

This was my trip mid November a few years ago. As you can see a fair bit of snow about. Would have liked some micro spikes for a few bits...
viewtopic.php?f=47&t=11599
Lizzy
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby onward » Thu 01 Sep, 2016 1:13 pm

With a little more hiking you can get the top 15 in the one 3day trip. I did 14/15 last Jan, whiteout on one, so I chickened out. It was -5C one morning even in January.
onward
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Victoria

Postby Fleb » Tue 18 Oct, 2016 10:23 am

Trip has been delayed for a few weeks by the look of it.

Have been following the cams and snow levels and looks like it is a bit too much snow for getting back into the swing of things.

So am thinking i would like to do an overnight one maybe this weekend and then 1nd weekend of November head to Kosciusko.

Anyone have any suggestions for a good overnight hike? I am in the Riverina but dont mind a little travel.

Thanks,

Phil
Fleb
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Postby Mark F » Tue 18 Oct, 2016 10:37 am

You would be better to head up to Round Mountain and walk into the Jagungal area. Jagungal will still have snow cover but you could most probably get to the summit without a pack if it is not too icy up top. The access routes and lower sections should be pretty much snow free at this stage. I'm heading up there tomorrow or Thursday for a walk.
"Perfection is attained not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing more to remove".
Mark F
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Fleb » Tue 18 Oct, 2016 11:13 am

Thanks Mark,
I am not familiar with the area but not too far to travel from here and looking online it looks nice.
Is there a particular trail or track you would recommend in order to push it out to a 2 day hike?
Fleb
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Postby Mark F » Tue 18 Oct, 2016 11:19 am

The standard loop is Round Mountain, Farm Ridge FT, Grey Mare Trail and back up the Round Mountain Trail. If you drive up Friday evening you can walk down to Round Mountain hut for the night.
Mark F
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Fleb » Tue 18 Oct, 2016 12:11 pm

Yeah sounds like a plan, think i have convinced my wife to go Sat and stay two nights :)
Just have to find a map now locally, get familiar with it and see if i can get a copy of Exploring the Jagungal Wilderness
Big help Mark, many thanks!!
Fleb
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Postby Fleb » Sun 23 Oct, 2016 8:19 pm

I have to say we were defeated over the weekend to Climb Mt Jagungal.....
Headed over Sat morning with an aim to reach O'Keefe's hut by about 6-7pm, left the car park at 1PM and were making really good time until we got the the Tumut River which was very swollen. I ventured further up stream and found a much shallower place to cross when we were hit with a change in weather where it hailed insanely for about 30 min and then began to snow very heavily..... After some quick conversation we decided to head back to Round Mountain Hut and then reevaluate the following morning. After pushing through the weather it took us what felt like an eternity to get back to the hut but very happy to light the fire and have a cup of tea.

In the morning there was alot of snow around, the weather looked to be clearing but Mt Jagungal and everything else was completely covered in snow. We decided to head home and come back in a months time to try again as we had a great time even with the crazy weather

I was happy we had planned a few contingencies if the weather went bad as i could easily see how you could get yourself into a bad situation really quickly.

I'll try and get a few pictures up
Fleb
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Postby DarrenM » Sun 23 Oct, 2016 8:49 pm

Looking forward to the pics. The Main Range still has a fairly deep snow pack at the moment and although the northern end of the park melts out quicker the weather was still well forecast. Check the BOM 4 day alpine forecast before heading out keep in mind the Spring melt will affect the crossings.
DarrenM
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Mark F » Sun 23 Oct, 2016 9:00 pm

Thanks for the heads up although I expected the Tumut may be a bit touch and go and was equivocating about going via Farm Ridge. I am heading down tomorrow and Tuesday to put in a food drop near O'keefes including micro spikes for the trip south. Will go via Dershkos rather than Farm Ridge.
Mark F
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Zapruda » Mon 24 Oct, 2016 7:25 am

Fleb wrote:I have to say we were defeated over the weekend to Climb Mt Jagungal.....
Headed over Sat morning with an aim to reach O'Keefe's hut by about 6-7pm, left the car park at 1PM and were making really good time until we got the the Tumut River which was very swollen. I ventured further up stream and found a much shallower place to cross when we were hit with a change in weather where it hailed insanely for about 30 min and then began to snow very heavily..... After some quick conversation we decided to head back to Round Mountain Hut and then reevaluate the following morning. After pushing through the weather it took us what felt like an eternity to get back to the hut but very happy to light the fire and have a cup of tea.

In the morning there was alot of snow around, the weather looked to be clearing but Mt Jagungal and everything else was completely covered in snow. We decided to head home and come back in a months time to try again as we had a great time even with the crazy weather

I was happy we had planned a few contingencies if the weather went bad as i could easily see how you could get yourself into a bad situation really quickly.

I'll try and get a few pictures up

I think we crossed paths on Saturday. I was just leaving as you were both arriving.

The weather was nasty this weekend, although it was very warm where I was camped on Friday night near the Tumut river.

You definitely made the right call by returning to the hut. This was the 5th time this year I have had to bail out on a walk due to bad weather. Its never worth the risk. glad you made it out safely.

The Tumut river was very swollen when I tried to cross it on Saturday Morning (Farm Ridge). Mark, it would definitely be wise to go to O'keefes via Round Mountain trail and Grey Mare.
Zapruda
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Fleb » Mon 24 Oct, 2016 3:28 pm

Yeah that was us heading in, had a great time and weather added some excitement.

Something i did notice when heading out was tracks of a 4 wheeler and was surprised that they are allowed in the park (had driven around the barricades etc to get in)

I think next time we will head down Round Mountain Trail next time.
Fleb
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Postby Mark F » Thu 27 Oct, 2016 11:04 am

The 4 wheeler tracks are Parks who use them quite a bit on unmaintained fire trails. The weather down there was glorious sunshine on Tuesday and increasing wind and cloud on Wedneday - almost a touch of sunburn on the forehead. I walked the loop to Derschko's, OKeefes and back via Farm Ridge - there was evidence of the 4 wheeler tracks on Farm Ridge as well as the Round Mountain Trail. Knee deep at the Tumut River crossing.
Mark F
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Return to New South Wales & ACT