Shoalhaven River Canoe access/egress trails

NSW & ACT specific bushwalking discussion.
Forum rules
NSW & ACT specific bushwalking discussion. Please avoid publishing details of access to sensitive areas with no tracks.

Shoalhaven River Canoe access/egress trails

Postby Wozza244 » Wed 31 Aug, 2016 9:23 pm

Hi, I'm new here after finding some good reading linked here through Google.
We are keen on canoeing as much of the Shoalhaven as possible.
We have a trip planned in coming weeks to start at Stewart's Crossing and exit at Oallen Ford.
We have no experience any further down stream but I've read it can be done in a decent canoe.
We have an Australis Bushranger full safety gear including PLB and a good waterproof kitty.
Can anyone tell me first hand if it can be done without too much portage as the Bushranger is quite heavy.
Also, I note there is numerous egress between Oallen and Shoalhaven Gorge that the pack rafters use but is there any way of getting a heavy Bushranger out besides going all the way to Tallowa Dam?

Cheers, Warren.
Wozza244
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Region: New South Wales

Re: Shoalhaven River Canoe access/egress trails

Postby clarence » Thu 01 Sep, 2016 9:43 am

The river below Oallen Ford (Oallen to Sewells Point) is an extremely technical, challenging and spectacular river. I would strongly advise against taking a large canoe in there unless you like lots of portaging, or are expert in high flow conditions.

The Canoeing Guide to NSW has an excellent description of most of the river http://www.biblio.com/book/canoeing-gui ... An8h8P8HAQ

Once you are below Sewells Point the river is moderate to easy most of the way to Tallowa Dam, but it is a long and steep carry down to the gorge. The most well known/recognised access to the gorge itself is at Greater Horseshoe bend via Matadora Ridge. There is a track all the way, but again it is a very steep 400m descent from the tablelands to the river itself.

Incredible country for paddling/walking/packrafting, but don't underestimate how rugged some parts are for access and canoe travel.

Maybe do a shorter trip up from Tallowa Dam just to familiarise yourself with the area before you start a trip through the gorge itself.

Clarence
clarence
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Tasmania

Postby Wozza244 » Thu 01 Sep, 2016 5:56 pm

Clarence, thanks for the information mate, spot on.

We'd love to do the gorge, might be worth the carry in.

Thanks again.
Wozza244
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Postby Lizzy » Fri 02 Sep, 2016 10:42 am

If you search Vimeo you will find a video of Mark Oates Packrafting trip down the Shoalhaven from below Oallen to Bungonia. Looks like LOTS of portages with a canoe. If you do attempt it I'd allow plenty of time. If you try to access the river from lower it is very steep- I have walked in/out at Greater Horseshoe, Bungonia and Long Point and wouldn't want to try it with a canoe.... But if you do looking forward to the report!!
Agree with Clarence that it is a lovely paddle up from Tallowa Dam and much easier access
Lizzy
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Wozza244 » Fri 02 Sep, 2016 12:32 pm

I've checked out a few more videos since, it doesn't look like very good canoe water.
We're happy to do rapids but I think the 6m waterfall may be a bit much, lol.

Cheers guys.
Wozza244
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Postby clarence » Sun 04 Sep, 2016 1:48 am

The book "Fitzroy Falls and Beyond" talks of the section from Welcome Reef to Sewells Point: "Several servicemen, on leave during the 1939-1945 War, fell for the lure of the Shoalhaven adventure and lost their lives in this section".

I did it some years ago as a walk/lilo in very low river levels. This meant the river did not have the force to be very dangerous- and we only paddled through calm/stillwater sections where we could see right through to the end.

With a lilo and backpack, portaging is not a problem. It was easy to pick up the gear and walk around any bits that seemed a bit sketchy- which we did numerous times every day.

Even so, it took us four days to cover 40 odd km from Oallen to Skull Island- one of the best trips I have ever done. Extraordinarily beautiful country. Even though 3/4 of it is not in any national park or reserve, it offers some of the best wilderness river experience possible.

Clarence
clarence
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Tasmania

Postby splash » Mon 16 Jan, 2017 12:33 pm

We would like to canoe the Shoalhaven River from Sewells Point to the dam.
Does anyone have a contact so we can get through the locked gates at Sewells Point?
splash
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Return to New South Wales & ACT