Personal security

NSW & ACT specific bushwalking discussion.
Forum rules
NSW & ACT specific bushwalking discussion. Please avoid publishing details of access to sensitive areas with no tracks.

Personal security

Postby Stroller » Tue 06 Sep, 2016 3:18 pm

Somewhat related to the Nice Guys thread recently but not asking for fun, can you tell me do I need to worry much about security in the national parks and areas along the coastal strips of both NSW and Victoria.

Usually i don't like camping alone in national parks because I feel more vulnerable than if i camp in some wild bit of bush where my chances of being disconvered are slim. But I will be doing a lot of camping in national parks along the coast this summer and wondered if I have anything much to worry about - because creeps dont' tend to hang around these areas or there's always plenty of people. I guess if you are a guy, this would probably be hard for you to assess from firsthand experience but you could answer from the point of view of whether there have been many news stories of people getting assaulted, robbed etc in these national park areas.

I am sure quite a number of them will often have lots of people but i tend to prefer the quieter parks for the reason that they are quiet.

The only situation that actually bothers me is when i'm alone and one other car turns up and the whole place is quite remote. Then even if the people are decent normal people, I find i worry a fair bit but not enough to stop me falling asleep. Before i go to sleep i tend to think a fair bit about escape routes and having a weapon handy. Its not really a fun way to end the day so if lots of people felt i m worrying for no reason, i might find a little more relaxation. Certainly i know that the vast majority of people are not predators, from much time spent travelling alone on a bike. IN outback Australia it was easier to relax because I couldn't see why anyone would come to my spot looking for a victim. On the other hand, along the coast, where the population is so much greater, there is more likely to be more people out and about to threaten my safety.

In all my time in the outback, i only encountered one guy who might have had a questionable intention or psychology but in the end, he went away with obviously doing anything wrong. Yes he was behaving suspiciously but i decided that was due to his being a very timid person.
Stroller
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Australia

Re: Personal security

Postby GPSGuided » Tue 06 Sep, 2016 4:33 pm

A very personal decision.

Choice of camp and area obviously matters. Some are accessible and frequented by alcohol (drug) loving groups while others are used by 'homeless' individuals for whatever reason. I'd get a read on these sites from the web and avoid. There's also the safety in numbers option and select camps that are used by family groups.
Just move it!
GPSGuided
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: New South Wales

Postby Xplora » Wed 07 Sep, 2016 6:18 am

Having travelled around the country we found there is no real way to determine what is a safe place and what is not. We have been the only people in a huge campsite and another car comes in only to camp right beside us. We would think that was a bit strange and maybe the person was odd but in fact most are just looking for the same reassurance you are and figure camping near someone else is safer. We have also been to a family site only to be overrun with drunken idiots who played loud music all night and then came over to pick a fight. They even blocked the only vehicle access road with their cars so we could not leave. Weekends tend to be worse for this sort of behaviour. We like it quiet and away from people so it does not bother us to be remote or secluded but being remote does not ensure you are safe. Coastal parks in the summer are usually busy enough to provide for some protection with numbers. Those close to a town could have a few local bogans turn up for a drinking session but you could talk to the rangers in the town or maybe even at the supermarket/post office to get a feeling for the area. Personally I would stay away from the better surf beaches.
Xplora
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: Victoria

Postby Stroller » Wed 07 Sep, 2016 4:06 pm

Its not so much bogans and rowdy drunks that worry me. Its the lone creep that i think is the greatest concern. Yes the others might be noisy and spoil the peace and of course, i'd probably like to avoid them as much as possible but they don't really frighten me.

The homeless people might leave one feeling a bit nervous but generally i'd think most of these sorts of people are suffering enough and just want peace the same as me. I don't think i'd be too worried about homeless people so long as they don't want to be friendly with me. I guess if they are homeless they have a drunk or drug problem or a mental illness and many of these poeple have learnt to be shy of ordinary people.

Its the Ivan Milat types that really bother me - the people with jobs, who might be charming, or at least fairly normal. So if there have been no stories of assaults, missing persons, robberies or trouble along the coastal areas in recent times, then i guess it's probably ok.
Stroller
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby GPSGuided » Wed 07 Sep, 2016 6:42 pm

There are no 'creep' detectors out there without interaction. If that's your only concern, then it's impossible to assist but to advise situational awareness and brush up on self defence skills.
Just move it!
GPSGuided
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby jimmeyer176 » Mon 16 Jan, 2017 11:53 am

Outdoor activities are some of the most safe activities in the world. You are far, far more likely to drown in your bathtub or die in a car accident than run into a problem in the woods.

I liken it to the car/airplane concept. Many people who fear flying claim they struggle with the concept of having no power, which makes sense. However airplanes are incredibly safe compared to cars, it's nearly impossible to run into a serious problem on an airplane in this day and age. The same person often says they feel safer in a car because they have some control, when in fact they have only control over a single car among thousands around them and in reality are in far greater danger. Yet, they feel safer.

Just hike and have fun, if someone comes and kills you at least they'll make a movie about you :)
jimmeyer176
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby solohiker » Fri 20 Jan, 2017 10:07 am

I'm very curious as to what you decided? Did you decide to walk and camp with others or in family areas or did you simply decide that the risk is exactly the same wherever you are?
As a male I am unable to offer any good advice. I personally prefer to camp alone but in areas that will have regular enough visitors to ensure I can get help if I need it (due to a fall etc).
I'd be interested i your answer as I may be able to use it when my nieces decide to head out on their own.
I love blogging about my adventures. Please feel free to take a look https://solohikerblog.wordpress.com/
solohiker
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Return to New South Wales & ACT