Between Brisbane and Newcastle

NSW & ACT specific bushwalking discussion.
Forum rules
NSW & ACT specific bushwalking discussion. Please avoid publishing details of access to sensitive areas with no tracks.

Between Brisbane and Newcastle

Postby Stroller » Wed 14 Sep, 2016 10:17 pm

In the country west of the coast but going over the ranges, is that very nice country. Do you think it would make a good travelling route if you are not in a hurry? I'm on my bicycle and tossing up between this way which is more as the crow flies but probably not when you take the bumps into account, or clinging to the coast as much as possible ie not on the highway.

Next year I will be going back northwards but probably going west of hte divide and sometimes onto it.

So i'm trying to figure out which is the best route heading south. I like nice quiet little roads leading to nice camping spots with water. But I'll have to go off it to get supplies from time to time.

If you know this area, please give your opinion. I will come over from Queensland from beaudesert into the border ranges following the train over.
Stroller
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Australia

Re: Between Brisbane and Newcastle

Postby johnk1 » Wed 14 Sep, 2016 11:06 pm

Hi Stroller,

I would follow the general route of the New England Hwy south from Warwick. It is still a main road but there is plenty of areas to get off the main drag but not all of the way.

Heaps of options to camp along the way and some beautiful areas.

Google maps is your best friend for planning.

Cheers.

John
johnk1
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: New South Wales

Postby Stroller » Thu 15 Sep, 2016 11:37 am

Oh no that's very boring for cycling in my humble opinion even if camping is nice. Its pretty boring to drive as well. Thanks anyway.
Stroller
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Bushman_Craig » Thu 15 Sep, 2016 11:53 am

Mount Lindesay to Woodenbong to Urbenville to Bonalbo to Tabulam would be a nice ride. Plenty of state forests along the way for camping. Yabbra State Forest in particular is spectacular with all the giant mountain ash trees.

Tabulam to Grafton via the Clarence Way is a nice ride, particularly if you stay on the bitumen and go through the Coaldale Valley. Once again, heaps of State Forests for camping as well as some national parks along the way.

That's about the extent of my experience with that route.

You could go through Glenreagh and Lowanna through to Dorrigo, then maybe head east to the Coffs Harbour area and follow the old Pacific Highway down into the Hunter Valley thence to sunny Newcastle. With all the bypasses which have been put in, the old pacific highway is just a network of local roads.
Bushman_Craig
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Postby kjbeath » Thu 15 Sep, 2016 6:19 pm

There is the http://www.bicentennialnationaltrail.com.au

Otherwise I would recommend the coastal route. Options are the old Pacific Highway as someone suggested, and as well there are back roads for example the Orara Way from Grafton to Coffs Harbour. There are also quite coastal routes south from Port Macquarie.

The Numinbah Valley is a possible route from Queensland to NSW.
kjbeath
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Stroller » Thu 15 Sep, 2016 10:40 pm

The BNT is unsuitable for cyclists. I came to this decision after reading blogs by two different guys who'd done it. It was bad enough for them. It would be worse for a woman who is less strong. Its rediculous that anyone ever thought the route was a good idea for cyclists.
Stroller
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby WarrenH » Fri 16 Sep, 2016 11:33 pm

Stroller, G'day.

The BNT site has details of the alternate cycle routes that can be taken, so that you can mix and match easier sections of the BNT Main Trail with the alternate cycle routes. Consistent with your abilities and what supplies you can haul.

The alternate cycle routes avoid the deeper wet river crossings and the big climbs that require portage and where pack-horses walk in the rivers, in places like Rocky Creek, Georges Creek and through Guy Fawkes, for example.

The easiest section of the BNT to cycle, which I've done, staying faithfully to the main trail in NSW, is heading South rather than North, between Aberdeen and Yaouk. The only really difficult part heading South from Aberdeen is the climb to Baal Bone Gap. Even here there is an alternate cycle route.

In August 2015, I followed the BNT North to Queensland, finally filling in a few gaps in the trail that I hadn't done in NSW and Southern Qld. I loved it.

I've been a Section Coordinator of the BNT for several years, and I'm happy to ring you and have a chat about what is realistic to ride. I'm in the NW of the ACT, close to the BNT. My phone is 62540295. I'll ring you back, if this is of interest to you.

Warren.
WarrenH
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Region: Australian Capital Territory

Postby kjbeath » Sat 17 Sep, 2016 9:02 am

Stroller wrote:The BNT is unsuitable for cyclists. I came to this decision after reading blogs by two different guys who'd done it. It was bad enough for them. It would be worse for a woman who is less strong. Its rediculous that anyone ever thought the route was a good idea for cyclists.

From their FAQ "Parts of the Trail are not suited to bicycles. The Guidebooks give alternative routes for cyclists where the route is too steep or too rough to be travelled safely by bike."
kjbeath
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby ofuros » Sat 17 Sep, 2016 3:23 pm

Mmmmm such a vast area to comment on...so many back roads.
These are some of the routes i take when i head south, I'll just have to remind myself your using leg power....

On Running Ck road just after Rathdowney, Andrew Drynan Park has campsites overlooking or
beside the creek. Over Richmond Gap there's a picnic area at the train loop lookout.
Side track to Sheep station camp area in the Border range NP if you wish.
There's another picnic area just before you hit the Summerland way.

Turn left & head to Woodenbong (campground, petrol/shop, pub) then take the turnoff to Urbanville then
just outside Urbanville camp at Tooloom Falls.
Through Tooloom/ Wallaby ck, up over the hill to Tooloom lookout( view at high point + picnic area)
to Mt Lindsay Rd & onto Legume.(tiny shop + bottle'o)

Turn left at Legume, this will take you through quiet rolling countryside all the way to Bald Rock, Boonoo Boonoo & Basket Swamp NP's
(campsites & waterfalls), behind Stanthorpe.
Carry on to Tenterfield or take Hardcastle rd (dirt) & camp beside the Boonoo Boonoo river lovely spot) follow this road
(it seems to turn into a farmer track midway but it is a gazetted road) it takes you behind Basket Swamp NP to Sandy Hill then into
Tenterfield.

Tenterfield to Dundee(the only stretch of New England highway). Take the Bald Knob turnoff to surprise surprise Bald Knob.
Then either continue on to the Gilbratar NP campsites on the escarpment before rolling down the range into Grafton.
Where you could follow the Grafton-Armidale rd to Ebor & then Dorrigo to the coast.

.....or just past Bald Knob take the Old Grafton road turnoff (remote, make sure you have plenty o' supplies, camp at Mann river) pass through Newton Boyd,
and a tunnel blasted through Dalmorton Bluff just before Gold mining ghost town of Dalmorton. Campsite on opposite side river.
Onto Chaelundi (campsite & short walk to surperb views) then back onto bitchumen @ Hernani to Ebor (camping)
From Ebor out to the trout ponds & New England NP campsites, cabins & views.
Backtrack to the 1st camp area beside the Styx river & follow the Forest Way, past Hyatt flats(camping),Wattle flats (more camping)
until you hit T junction with Jeogla to the right & to the left a wriggly serpent road decending from the escarpment (camping at mouth georges creek)
to follow the Macleay River all the way to Kempsey. Lovely area.

Kempsey is as far i go. :)
With so many routes running through my mind, I'm worn out just thinking about it. :lol:
Stroller, whichever route you decide to travel, it'll be a great adventure. :mrgreen:

Ooroo
ofuros
Mountain views are good for my soul...& getting to them is good for my waistline !
https://ofuros.exposure.co/
ofuros
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: Queensland

Postby Stroller » Sat 17 Sep, 2016 6:14 pm

WarrenH wrote:Stroller, G'day.

The BNT site has details of the alternate cycle routes that can be taken, so that you can mix and match easier sections of the BNT Main Trail with the alternate cycle routes. Consistent with your abilities and what supplies you can haul.

The alternate cycle routes avoid the deeper wet river crossings and the big climbs that require portage and where pack-horses walk in the rivers, in places like Rocky Creek, Georges Creek and through Guy Fawkes, for example.

The easiest section of the BNT to cycle, which I've done, staying faithfully to the main trail in NSW, is heading South rather than North, between Aberdeen and Yaouk. The only really difficult part heading South from Aberdeen is the climb to Baal Bone Gap. Even here there is an alternate cycle route.

In August 2015, I followed the BNT North to Queensland, finally filling in a few gaps in the trail that I hadn't done in NSW and Southern Qld. I loved it.

I've been a Section Coordinator of the BNT for several years, and I'm happy to ring you and have a chat about what is realistic to ride. I'm in the NW of the ACT, close to the BNT. My phone is 62540295. I'll ring you back, if this is of interest to you.

Warren.

Hi Warren Thanks for your post. Having done my research, I'm no longer interested in the BNT as a cyclist. I've had phone conversations with the organisers of the track. My plan now for riding back up north is to hike the AAWT, then ride a dirt road route that i can find quite easily by myself using a very good map i bought some time ago from Quality maps and a GPS.

All things considered i think there's little merit in the BNT for cyclist unless you really want to ride those tracks on private properties or have some interest in it from a historical perspective. I personally don't think they are worth the effort and costs, according to the blogs I've read. As i explained to the President, the cost of hte guidebooks is excessive, the information out of date, the tracks in very poor condition. It should be fine for horseriders and hikers.
Stroller
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby RonK » Sat 17 Sep, 2016 6:16 pm

I have ridden this route, But it was quite some time ago and there was then a short section of (well-formed) gravel road between Nymboida and Ebor. Apart from a very short section on the New England Highway the route is on minor roads, leaving Brisbane via Beaudesert and taking the Lions Road and Summerland Way to Grafton, then via Nymboida and Ebor to Walcha then along the Thunderbolts Way to Gloucester and detouring to Dungog before taking the Putty Road to approach Sydney via Windsor. It is very scenic although somewhat hilly.

It's easy enough to enter Newcastle from Gloucester, but unless you really want to visit Sydney it is much better to bypass the city altogether from Windsor and return to the coast further south or divert to the Blue Mountains and continue on to the Southern Highlands.

Brisbane - Windsor
RonK

Region: Queensland

Postby Stroller » Sat 17 Sep, 2016 10:18 pm

Thanks Ron. I think from Newcastle I will go along the coast. But I have to go into Sydney becuase I am flying out to Christchurch. So I have a month to ride from Brisbane to Sydney.

I was thinking of going from beaudesert over the border ranges and then down to Nimbin. Then it was a question of continuing inland or going over to Byron and down the coast. As I will be coming back up inland way, I will do ebor and walcha then.

All the other road details given might be useful for my return route if not used on route going south so thanks all.
Stroller
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Return to New South Wales & ACT