Grose river entry/exit points

NSW & ACT specific bushwalking discussion.
Forum rules
NSW & ACT specific bushwalking discussion. Please avoid publishing details of access to sensitive areas with no tracks.

Grose river entry/exit points

Postby Toast » Wed 12 Oct, 2016 6:40 pm

Im looking for semi/defined, non exposed routes to & from the Grose river I have everything from Mt Vic to Du faur Head marked, but down river from Du faur Head there doesnt seem to be much until Faulconbridge point river track.

I have read of a route via Linden ridge from Wentworth cave & another called "The Fishermans track" but info is limited. I plan to purchase the relevant topo maps but am currently using online maps. This is mostly for research purposes atm and any future walks will be done with people with excellent navigation/bushwalk skills.

Would love to receive any feedback on these less visited sections of the Grose river from people with experience there. I feel i have read most of what is available online & forum search feature
Toast
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Region: Other Country

Re: Grose river entry/exit points

Postby Grabeach » Wed 12 Oct, 2016 8:09 pm

Im looking for semi/defined, non exposed routes

I'm not sure what semi/defined is, and taken literally very few routes will be non exposed. That's what you get with closely spaced contours and cliff lines. It's why we walk there!

but down river from Du faur Head there doesnt seem to be much until Faulconbridge point river track

Looking through my trip notes;
On the Bell Rd side I've done 6 routes between Mt Banks and Carmarthen Brook (but most have a moderate to high degree of risk if you're leading), 9 between there and The Devils Wilderness (private property may now be a problem) and another 16 down to opposite the Grose Valley Walking Track. On the highway side I've done 8 between Du Faur Head and The Devils Wilderness and I'm sure there are several more, plus another 9 down to the Walking Track. All were done as day walks.

Basically, if you're in a small group of experienced people with reasonable fitness, most of the ridges and creeks with the exception of the first six mentioned, are feasible without rock climbing skills.
Grabeach
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: New South Wales

Postby ribuck » Wed 12 Oct, 2016 11:29 pm

OpenStreetMap maps these two routes from the north, off the Browns Ridge Fire Trail:
https://www.openstreetmap.org/#map=13/- ... 1&layers=C

Screen Shot 2016-10-12 at 14.19.51.png
Screen Shot 2016-10-12 at 14.19.51.png (629.72 KiB) Viewed 5685 times
ribuck
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: Other Country

Postby sharpstones » Fri 21 Oct, 2016 6:50 pm

Have you looked into Michael Keats book - "Day walks in the lower Grose river and tributaries" ?

It has a bit of info on The Fisherman's Track from memory too.
sharpstones
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby juxtaposer » Fri 04 Nov, 2016 10:45 am

I've done most of the creeks on both sides of the Grose River between Du Faur and the Wentworth Creek mouth. The ravines on the north side nearer Mount Banks are well known abseiling trips. Further east, every creek I've done had waterfalls that can be worked around, but a 20 metre handline will get you through. One very good route is the old fisherman's route down Shaw Gully east of Mount Hay. This is Byles Pass and can be linked with the Lockley Pylon route very well for a busy day trip. Another old fisherman's route entered Carmarthen Brook about a mile up from the Grose junction, but you have to go through private property to access this.
juxtaposer
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Return to New South Wales & ACT