Budawangs advice

NSW & ACT specific bushwalking discussion.
Forum rules
NSW & ACT specific bushwalking discussion. Please avoid publishing details of access to sensitive areas with no tracks.

Budawangs advice

Postby mtrain » Thu 27 Oct, 2016 7:04 pm

A sudden change of plans has us heading to the budawangs for the next week. We know nothing about the area except that Sydney spiders seem to love it and the internet photos look awesome. We are leaving from central Victoria Saturday morning and would like to do some overnight walking. So can anyone recommend a good walk( 3-4 days) and where we are most likely to pick up topo maps on the way.
Thanks
Last edited by mtrain on Thu 27 Oct, 2016 9:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mtrain
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Region: Victoria

Re: Budawangs advice

Postby Mark F » Thu 27 Oct, 2016 7:16 pm

As you want a "god" walk you will definitely need to visit Seven Gods Monoliths (near Monolith Valley). There are a heap of options but try walking into Monolith Valley and the Castle from trail head on Nerriga Road. A quick search on this site will show up many more options.
"Perfection is attained not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing more to remove".
Mark F
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: Australian Capital Territory

Postby climberman » Thu 27 Oct, 2016 7:36 pm

grab this book: http://www.wildwalks.com/books/guideboo ... 10727.html and read it on the way up :)
climberman
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Postby mtrain » Thu 27 Oct, 2016 9:15 pm

Thanks for that. Rushed typing on a phone always provides interesting spelling. Just need to find some maps now.
mtrain
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Region: Victoria

Postby Chev » Thu 27 Oct, 2016 10:48 pm

Excellent area, though I must admit it's ten years or more since I've done anything more than a day walk up Pigeon House/Didthul. I'm hoping to get back there the week before xmas so I'll watch this thread with interest.

Do you need a return/loop route or can you car shuffle for a through walk? 3-4 days gives you good scope for both, so there are heaps of options.

+1 for the Ron Doughton book.
Chev
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Postby odnuas » Fri 28 Oct, 2016 4:38 am

Mtrain,

have sent you a PM.
odnuas
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Region: New South Wales

Postby Chev » Tue 08 Nov, 2016 11:11 am

Hi Mtrain
How was your Budawangs trip? Where did you go? How was the general scarcity-sufficiency-surfeit of tracks/water/scrub?
Chev
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Postby bushtucker » Sun 22 Jan, 2017 1:17 pm

Hi MTrain and fellow bushwalkers thinking about the Budawangs,

I absolutely love the Budawangs. It is such an incredible area, one of the best regions that I have visited. So much to explore and the names of the places are awesome. It's well worth an exploration from either the Wog Wog side or the Long Gully side / entrance. I've written about my experiences there most recently on a long walk covering The Castle, Monolith Valley and Mt Owen and then returning to Long Gully. A big day but quite incredible to see so much. Write up here: https://getout-adventures.com/2016/05/2 ... shwalking/

Take your time and enjoy this special area.

Best,

Daniel
bushtucker
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Region: New South Wales

Return to New South Wales & ACT