Aussie 10 January '17

NSW & ACT specific bushwalking discussion.
Forum rules
NSW & ACT specific bushwalking discussion. Please avoid publishing details of access to sensitive areas with no tracks.

Aussie 10 January '17

Postby canthardlywait » Tue 29 Nov, 2016 5:59 pm

These summer holidays I'm looking at doing the Aussie 10 over 2 or 3 days. I've had a bit of a browse on the net and have not yet found really good track notes. I've got the required maps and a compass however some track notes would come in really handy to give me an idea of what sort of navigation I will need to do.

Any tips and advice greatly appreciated.

Cheers
canthardlywait
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Region: Queensland

Re: Aussie 10 January '17

Postby kjbeath » Tue 29 Nov, 2016 8:28 pm

Have been to most of them. It is all very open country, and except for the Main Range track and a rough track out to Townsend is untracked. The ground cover is snow grass except for some bits of Richea sp, which are best avoided, so just follow the tracks or the ridges. One web description they drop packs before going to the Ramsheads. I wouldn't advise it, there have been thefts from packs left near the daywalker tracks and if the weather mists in, it could be difficult finding the packs again. Also, care needs to be taken if camping on the western side of the main range, as if the weather changes it can be extreme. Otherwise, it s a great area to walk in.
kjbeath
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: New South Wales

Return to New South Wales & ACT