Charlotte Pass to Guthega via Guthrie Ridge

NSW & ACT specific bushwalking discussion.
Forum rules
NSW & ACT specific bushwalking discussion. Please avoid publishing details of access to sensitive areas with no tracks.

Charlotte Pass to Guthega via Guthrie Ridge

Postby roguetrooper » Tue 24 Jan, 2017 9:26 pm

Hi all, Heading back to Mt. Kozo after my last trip was shortened due to bad weather. This time to planning to do a circuit, returning to Guthega via Guthrie Ridge. Topo doesn't show a marked track and was wondering whether anyone had additional info on terrain along the ridge.
Andrew
roguetrooper
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: NSW Rogaining Assoc.
Region: New South Wales

Re: Charlotte Pass to Guthega via Guthrie Ridge

Postby Mark F » Wed 25 Jan, 2017 10:20 am

I haven't been down Guthrie Ridge but looking at the vegetation along the short track to the lookout at Charlottes Pass, stunted snow gums and knee to waist high shrubs, I would think it would be a bit of an ordeal. The normal way is to walk down the Snowy Valley which is much more open but still low scrub in most places. I expect you could also go down Spencers Creek to the Snowy. There is an old track on the eastern bank that runs for about a kilometre of the distance.
"Perfection is attained not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing more to remove".
Mark F
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: Australian Capital Territory

Postby roguetrooper » Wed 25 Jan, 2017 11:08 am

Thanks Mark
roguetrooper
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby johnw » Wed 25 Jan, 2017 12:57 pm

Mark F wrote:I expect you could also go down Spencers Creek to the Snowy. There is an old track on the eastern bank that runs for about a kilometre of the distance.

I have tried to do this but only had a couple of hours to spare at the time, so couldn't finish it. It eventually gets a bit ratty and progress is slow through low scrub. I was thinking it may actually be easier through the snow gums just up from the creek along the Perisher Range. But I didn't have time to explore that option. I will probably be revisiting the Snowies again at the end of the year and might have another go. I think I also saw an old fire trail starting near the Kosci road and wondered where it went, noting a couple of trig references on the map higher up.
John W

In Nature's keeping they are safe, but through the agency of man destruction is making rapid progress - John Muir c1912
johnw
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby robl » Mon 30 Jan, 2017 3:29 pm

I have walked down Spencers Ck twice and it is a rough walk. There are fields of small boulders covered with scrub. I have avoided that walk as a part of a circuit since. Maybe next time I would try the ridge. Have a look at google earth. Keep in mind that the creek has to be crossed.
I believe that the old road on the east side lead to a proposed dam site. I started on the west side, walked maybe 500m and then crossed to the east side. If you try the ridge let us know how you went.
robl
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby roguetrooper » Mon 30 Jan, 2017 3:45 pm

Hi all,

A quick update as I am now back from the 'wild'. I will post a full trip report in the appropriate forum shortly.

We traversed the Snowy River from the Charlotte Pass ford to the junction of the Snowy River and Spencers Creek. Distance is about 4.5km and it took us nearly 3-hours without stopping! There is a footpad/track from the ford that ends after 100m. For the remaining 4/5's of the way it is knee-to-waist high heather/scrub with a few patches of swampy fen. We had to cross the Snowy twice in an attempt to make the most of more open terrain. All-in-all it was a tough slog for two experienced back-country hikers - I will not try that way again.

I've read a post where they traversed back to Illawong Bridge by crossing below the Tarn and over Crummer Spur - from a distance it looked scrubby and rocky too but maybe a shorter trip time wise. I would be interested to know what other people have tried as it is disappointing that a circuit hike from Guthega entails such a crappy section.
roguetrooper
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby north-north-west » Mon 30 Jan, 2017 4:28 pm

roguetrooper wrote:I've read a post where they traversed back to Illawong Bridge by crossing below the Tarn and over Crummer Spur - from a distance it looked scrubby and rocky too but maybe a shorter trip time wise. I would be interested to know what other people have tried as it is disappointing that a circuit hike from Guthega entails such a crappy section.

I've done something like this in early spring when there was still quite a lot of snow around and Headley Tarn and Blue Lake were still frozen. Had gone down the valley from Rawson Pass (along Rawson Creek for a while), camped under Carruthers and crossed the circuit track next to the Snowy River ford. Then over (literally - I did mention it was frozen) Headley Tarn, up Crummer Spur to Little Twynam, and down the usual route from there to Illawong. Scrub isn't an issue, it's mostly all very open. Good walking.
"Mit der Dummheit kämpfen Götter selbst vergebens."
north-north-west
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Social Misfits Anonymous
Region: Tasmania

Postby roguetrooper » Tue 31 Jan, 2017 9:58 am

north-north-west wrote:I've done something like this in early spring when there was still quite a lot of snow around and Headley Tarn and Blue Lake were still frozen. Had gone down the valley from Rawson Pass (along Rawson Creek for a while), camped under Carruthers and crossed the circuit track next to the Snowy River ford. Then over (literally - I did mention it was frozen) Headley Tarn, up Crummer Spur to Little Twynam, and down the usual route from there to Illawong. Scrub isn't an issue, it's mostly all very open. Good walking.

If I were to do the circuit again or needed to get back to Guthega from Charlotte Pass I think I would take the route you mention. I have traversed from half way up the main track to the Tarn and although a little scrubby in patches they are only a short distances. It would certainly be easier walking, even considering the up-hill to Little Twynan. Thanks
roguetrooper
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby johnw » Tue 12 Sep, 2017 11:07 pm

robl wrote:I have walked down Spencers Ck twice and it is a rough walk. There are fields of small boulders covered with scrub. I have avoided that walk as a part of a circuit since. Maybe next time I would try the ridge. Have a look at google earth. Keep in mind that the creek has to be crossed.
I believe that the old road on the east side lead to a proposed dam site. I started on the west side, walked maybe 500m and then crossed to the east side. If you try the ridge let us know how you went.

Will now definitely be in Jindabyne for a week or so after Xmas. So I might explore the ridge and see what happens. I want to visit Back Perisher as part of picking up some missing 2000m "peaks", so I'll have a think about whether combining it with that seems practical.
John W

In Nature's keeping they are safe, but through the agency of man destruction is making rapid progress - John Muir c1912
johnw
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby rcaffin » Wed 13 Sep, 2017 7:48 pm

Given a choice of climbing 200 m to get to open alpine snow grass pastures, and bashing through sub-alpine scrub in a vain attempt to take the 'shortest' route, you can guess my preferences.

Cheers
Roger
rcaffin
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby johnw » Wed 13 Sep, 2017 11:08 pm

rcaffin wrote:Given a choice of climbing 200 m to get to open alpine snow grass pastures, and bashing through sub-alpine scrub in a vain attempt to take the 'shortest' route, you can guess my preferences.

Cheers
Roger

Me too Roger. Been having a look at the map for the most likely line of least resistance. Possibly easier to scout it out on the ground to some extent. Deviations may be necessary based on past experience in the general area.
John W

johnw
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby johnw » Tue 02 Jan, 2018 9:31 pm

My two cents worth. I had a bit of a look at this general area today. Short on time as usual but managed a traverse from Charlotte Pass over Mt Guthrie and back down to the road near the saddle with Guthrie Ridge. Mostly off track, low scrub. Only day on this visit I decided to go ultralight in shorts with light hiking shoes and no gaiters. My shins are not thanking me tonight. My thoughts are that a traverse of Guthrie Ridge down to the Snowy River might be doable but significant parts of it won't be pleasant. I got a pretty good look from the top of Guthrie, but you can't see everything from there and I didn't have time to explore further. With another hour or two spare I'd have visited the trig point on Guthrie Ridge for a better look, which was clearly visible and a route up to it looked relatively easy. Earlier in the day I had contemplated going up onto the Perisher Range above Spencer's Creek but quickly became disillusioned looking at the scrub and didn't bother attempting it. All that said I would think the most pleasant route from CP to Guthega is going to be along the lines of what NNW suggested earlier - cross the Snowy R below CP, head up the track and go cross country to Hedley Tarn, up the Crummer Spur to Little Twynam etc down to Illawong lodge and Guthega. I've crossed directly from HT to the track in the past and it wasn't too bad other than a couple of awakward spots. Nothing I saw or experienced today indicated that a happier route is likely, just more direct.
John W

johnw
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Sonja and Jakob » Fri 05 Jan, 2018 10:59 am

robl wrote:I have walked down Spencers Ck twice and it is a rough walk. There are fields of small boulders covered with scrub. I have avoided that walk as a part of a circuit since. Maybe next time I would try the ridge. Have a look at google earth. Keep in mind that the creek has to be crossed.

We have done Spencer Creek on Boxing Day 2017 and it's actually possible to walk this without crossing the creek a single time, except that one simple crossing at the start, still in view of the road. After this, stick to the old vehicle track until it ceases. Then stay to the side of the creek where the vehicle track ran. Ascend bit by bit to the tree-line. Coming nearer to the feeding creek into Spencer, go up into the forest for about 100 to 200 meters (distance, not altitude). Fair walking there, including sections of another old vehicle track. Descend and cross the feeding creek close to Spencers. After that and up to Illawong Trail it's scrubby but not really bad.
Sonja and Jakob
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby johnw » Mon 08 Jan, 2018 2:49 pm

Sonja and Jakob wrote:

We have done Spencer Creek on Boxing Day 2017 and it's actually possible to walk this without crossing the creek a single time, except that one simple crossing at the start, still in view of the road. After this, stick to the old vehicle track until it ceases. Then stay to the side of the creek where the vehicle track ran. Ascend bit by bit to the tree-line. Coming nearer to the feeding creek into Spencer, go up into the forest for about 100 to 200 meters (distance, not altitude). Fair walking there, including sections of another old vehicle track. Descend and cross the feeding creek close to Spencers. After that and up to Illawong Trail it's scrubby but not really bad.

Well done! I now regret that I didn't give it ago. Next time.
John W

johnw
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Return to New South Wales & ACT