Jagungal Hike

NSW & ACT specific bushwalking discussion.
Forum rules
NSW & ACT specific bushwalking discussion. Please avoid publishing details of access to sensitive areas with no tracks.

Jagungal Hike

Postby benski007 » Mon 13 Mar, 2017 8:25 pm

Hi,

I am wanting to hike/camp in the Jagungal Wilderness, and was aiming to get to Mt Jagungal..

Time this trip around is limited, and i have a day/night/day scenario..

Thinking of going in from Round Mountain, and was wondering where is a good spot to push for to camp, hopefully with a view of Mt Jagungal..

Also. any recommended repellants for March flies/ mozzies ??

Any help much appreciated

Benski
benski007
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Region: Australia

Re: Jagungal Hike

Postby Lophophaps » Mon 13 Mar, 2017 9:01 pm

This may assist. Round Mountain-Jagungal, track notes for another trip.

Day one
Round Mountain car park to Farm Ridge Hut ruins, 4WD track, 12 kilometres, down 300 metres to the Tumut River, up 300 metres from there, another 100 metres of ascent on the ridge. Water at the Tumut River, the high point at 258078, near the "F" on "Farm Ridge" on the map, and below the Farm Ridge Hut ruin. About five hours.

Day two
West on Farm Ridge Fire Trail for 3 kilometres to O'Keefes Hut, up about 210 metres, 90 minutes. Then west 2 kilometres to the gauging station and camp on the clearing on the right. This is about 2.5 hours from the previous camp. Up the track-pad-route to Jagungal, a climb of 380 metres over 2 kilometres. Try to memorise the route if it becomes vague. Up is easy - up. Down is harder navigation. If it's foggy on top you will find it hard to locate the right route if there is no track. Once you have found the right place to descend, keep left of and above the creek going north. You're heading for a 4WD track so it's not too hard. There should be a track. About 4 hours return.

Day three
West on the Farm Ridge FT, crossing the smaller Tumut River. Take a pic of it as a baby. At the junction go north-west (right) on the Round Mountain Fire Trail. Pass Derschkos Hut, maybe for lunch if it's wet. Continue north on the Round Mountain FT, which goes to the car. Camp at 218055, a major creek. Go up the hill to trees as they stop dew landing on the tent and this will avoid the cold air that sinks to lower levels. Day three is an easy 10 kilometres, undulating, 3 hours.

Day four
Continue north on the Round Mountain FT, passing a few creeks. It's mainly undulating, with a short climb at the end to the Round Mountain Hut turnoff, then a bit more to the high point near the gate. This is 8 kilometres, 2-3 hours.

The harder days are at the start - ford the Tumut, climb Farm Ridge, longer day to Farm Ridge Hut ruins, climb Jagungal. After that it gets easier, shorter days, have a bludge. Except for Jagungal it's all on 4WD tracks, easy navigation. There are three huts to aim for if the weather bombs out. You can go Derschkos to RM car park in a day, 14 kilometres and 6 hours. However, my preference is for a very short last day in case the weather turns.
Lophophaps
Auctorita modica
Auctorita modica

Region: Victoria

Postby peregrinator » Mon 13 Mar, 2017 9:13 pm

If time is limited, try:

A. Round Mountain trailhead to Derschkos Hut c. 3 hours. Has a view of Mt J from the rise above the hut.

B. Derschkos to Mt J and return c.4 hours.

C. Derschkos to Round Mountain trailhead c. 3 hours.

Durations do not include stops. So depending on what time you start on day 1, you could do either A + B on day 1, or B+C on day 2.

Repellent? Try a net attached to a hat. Worked for me.

It is a walk, not a hike (cf. name of this forum).
peregrinator
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Mark F » Mon 13 Mar, 2017 10:08 pm

A very common 2 day loop is made up of 3 parts.

Part 1 - Round Mountain to O'keefes Hut via Farm Ridge ft. No water on Farm Ridge.
Part 2 - O'keefes Hut to Derschkos Hut with climb of Jagungal. Plenty of water points. The ridge above Derschkos is a good spot to camp with views of Jagungal as peregrinator has commented.
Part 3 - Derschkos hut to Round Mountain via Round Mountain ft. Plenty of water points.

The ascent of Jagunagal can be undertaken from either O'keefes Hut or more commonly from the weather station between O'keefes and Derschkos.

Depending on your start time do Part 1 or Parts 1 and 2 on Day 1. with the balance on day 2. The loop can of course be done in the other direction.

If arriving at Round Mount in the evening it is common to walk down to Round Mountain hut for the night.

There are many other places you could camp along the route if time and circumstances (nightfall) dictate.
"Perfection is attained not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing more to remove".
Mark F
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: Australian Capital Territory

Postby Lophophaps » Tue 14 Mar, 2017 5:00 am

The four day trip I outlined is the easiest. The other walks are certainly viable. If there's just two days then this makes the trip much harder, as one day is RM-Jagungal-Derschkos Hut or Derschkos Hut-Jagungal-RM. I'd allow at least three days and possibly four.

I wear a broad brim floppy hat with a big back flap, long sleeve shirt, light gardening gloves and long pants. I've not found the need for either insect repellent or sunscreen while walking. However, as soon as I take my pack off the march flies attack the back of my shirt, quite nasty. Draping a blizzard jacket or groundsheet over my back does the trick.
Lophophaps
Auctorita modica
Auctorita modica

Postby benski007 » Tue 14 Mar, 2017 10:12 am

Thanks all for your advice..!!

Ill be sure to upload a trip report..

thanks again

benski
benski007
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Region: Australia

Postby RVG » Sat 18 Mar, 2017 5:34 pm

Hi Benski

If your time is limited and especially if you are coming from Canberra or points north, there is another alternative.

If you go into KNP south of Cooma via the Nimmo Rd and the Snowy Plains Fire Trail, you can drive right to the National Park boundary only 2 km from Cesjacks Hut which is close to Jagungal and is at 1700m. From Cesjacks it is a day walk to Jagungal and return. Then it is a 2km walk back to the car.

Robert
RVG
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Region: New South Wales

Postby Lophophaps » Sat 18 Mar, 2017 9:49 pm

RVG wrote:you can drive right to the National Park boundary only 2 km from Cesjacks Hut which is close to Jagungal and is at 1700m. From Cesjacks it is a day walk to Jagungal and return. Then it is a 2km walk back to the car.

If memory serves this is 4WD access, a few rivers to ford. However, it's a good starting point for Jagungal. If the gate is reached by about 9am, it should be possible to summit that day.
Lophophaps
Auctorita modica
Auctorita modica

Postby rcaffin » Sun 19 Mar, 2017 9:27 am

Long day!

I remember one time we got back from the Jag cairn to Cesjacks in about ONE hour.
Chuckle: good snow, XC skis, a very good knowledge of the contours, and downhill all the way to Doubtful Creek! Whee!

Cheers
Roger
rcaffin
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby paidal_chalne_vala » Wed 22 Mar, 2017 11:34 pm

I did this walk a few months ago.
Round Mtn Hut ( 1st night)
Farm ridge to O' Keefe's hut ( 2nd night)
Dershko's hut base camp and Mt. Jag. summit push sans full pack ( 3rd night at Derchshko's hut )
The Last day was easy , just walking along the 4 WD track on Round Mtn. track back to the car .
March Flies may not be a big issue in March. In Early Jan. 2017 they were horrific!. Long pants, long sleeves , gloves and a legionnaire's hat were all necessary .
paidal_chalne_vala
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: VNPA.BTAC.Friends of Baw Baw.Mt.Bogong Club.

Return to New South Wales & ACT