Wild Dogs on Hume & Hovell Track?

NSW & ACT specific bushwalking discussion.
Forum rules
NSW & ACT specific bushwalking discussion. Please avoid publishing details of access to sensitive areas with no tracks.

Wild Dogs on Hume & Hovell Track?

Postby solohiker » Tue 28 Mar, 2017 4:57 pm

Hi,
I'm currently researching the Hume & Hovell track for a future walk or set of walks. Are wild dogs/dingos a problem on this track? I assume some wild dogs can be found in most locations but I've seen images on other tracks of them being such an issue that they are being shot and strung up.
Just want to know what I'm getting into!
ta
I love blogging about my adventures. Please feel free to take a look https://solohikerblog.wordpress.com/
solohiker
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Region: Australia

Re: Wild Dogs on Hume & Hovell Track?

Postby rcaffin » Tue 28 Mar, 2017 6:17 pm

I have never known dingos be a problem. They usually stay away.
Wild dogs - farm dogs gone feral, might be a bit more of a problem, being used to humans.
But it's feral pigs I would be worrying about. Normally they too will stay out of your way, but ...

Cheers
Roger
rcaffin
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby solohiker » Tue 28 Mar, 2017 6:32 pm

Wild pigs! Crickey I have no experience with either creature!
Does anyone have any resources they can share that describes what to do other than keep my distance
And make lots of noise? Or is that enough?
I love blogging about my adventures. Please feel free to take a look https://solohikerblog.wordpress.com/
solohiker
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Postby Fatman » Tue 02 May, 2017 7:56 pm

Hi solohiker,

This is my first post on the forum so apologies for any errors !

I led a group from Sydney Bush Walkers who walked the H&H end-to-end between 3-27/4/17. Personally I considered this walk to be most under-rated from what I had read on-line. Yep there are some road sections from Yass to near Burrinjuck and at the end into Albury however it was a great walk an with a bit of TLC could be a world class opportunity attracting overseas visitors. Most of the 'views' I had read were fro people who had not walked the track ..... I would certainly consider it again.

We didn't experience any wild dogs except for a few howls at Junction C/S and but these were a fair way off. There were plenty of Brumbies between Forest Island and Tumbarumba with some snorting however moved off pretty quickly. No pigs seen and I don't consider any pig damage seen. The only 'feral' issue experienced throughout were blackberries and mossies.

If you would like any specific info then please PM me .

Regards,
Robert
Fatman
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Region: New South Wales

Postby solohiker » Tue 02 May, 2017 9:21 pm

Thank you. Yes I do wonder why we don't hear more of this walk. But it's on my mind and I might do this as a thruhike or several section hikes one day, though probably not solo. I had an encounter with two escaped domestic dogs before writing this post and I wonder what to do. Good to know they were not present. I guess I'm just researching the track well ahead of doing it.
solohiker
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Postby Neo » Tue 02 May, 2017 9:28 pm

I've been wondering what to do about feral dogs, not that I've had a problem. As we don't have bears its the most likely yet unlikey wild scenario. Sleeping in nylon housing with only a small pocket knife...
Most of them would steer clear of humans I suspect and as usual don't leave any food around, but I'd like to know 'how to take down a dog'. Any tips from hunters?
Neo
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: New South Wales

Postby Xplora » Wed 03 May, 2017 6:32 am

I live in an area full of wild dogs and have never had a problem with them approaching. Heard a pack howling the other night a short distance from the house. Certainly a good tip not to leave food around but then possums are more of a problem with that. I have also had cause to take on a German Shepherd which was attacking me. This was not done without injury but at least I was only bitten once. As the dog came for me I grabbed it's bottom jaw and held tight. One tooth penetrate one finger before my grip was secure but I held the jaw tight and then twisted. A dog cannot bite when you hold the bottom jaw and you can inflict some serious pain or even break the jaw with a quick snap. I did not break its jaw but the pain I inflicted caused it to withdraw. Before you get to that stage, make yourself big, wave you arms, advance on the dog and make noise. Never turn your back or run (they are faster than you) unless you have water nearby that is deep enough to make them swim. There is a thread on this forum about wild dog encounters and one reported near where I live but few adults have actually been attacked. Dogs mostly hunt at night and a tent is more than enough protection. People are not on their shopping list.
Xplora
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: Victoria

Return to New South Wales & ACT