Hiking in Northern NSW

NSW & ACT specific bushwalking discussion.
Forum rules
NSW & ACT specific bushwalking discussion. Please avoid publishing details of access to sensitive areas with no tracks.

Hiking in Northern NSW

Postby Ldj226 » Thu 30 Mar, 2017 10:11 pm

I'm based in Brisbane and looking for Decent hiking to do in a more secluded setting over Easter looking at Guy Fawkes NP or inland from Coffs but happy to go with other ideas. happy to drive 5-8hrs from brissie and have done a lot of the hiking around the border, main ranges, Stanthorpe etc. love day or longer hikes, have 4wd and happy to hike 30-50km in a day. Mountains or hills over plain forest walks. Any good recommendations?
Ldj226
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Region: Queensland

Re: Hiking in Northern NSW

Postby ofuros » Fri 31 Mar, 2017 5:25 am

Last edited by ofuros on Fri 31 Mar, 2017 7:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
Mountain views are good for my soul...& getting to them is good for my waistline !
https://ofuros.exposure.co/
ofuros
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Grabeach » Fri 31 Mar, 2017 6:07 am

Don't know if you could get it by Easter, but the University of New England Outdoor Adventure Club lists a current publication on the guides section of their website https://uneoac.wordpress.com/guides titled The Guide to NorthEastern NSW which contains "a multitude of walks, canyons, climbs, caves and canoe trips that may be done in this region of the world". Assuming it is an updated version of my 1981 edition of the same name by the UNE Mountaineering Club, then it is extremely throughour and will keep you in walks etc in this area for the rest of your life.
Grabeach
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: New South Wales

Postby Ldj226 » Fri 31 Mar, 2017 7:28 am

Like the look of nightcap and Guy Fawkes walks combination of views, ascents and good walking. Thanks guys
Ldj226
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Postby Ldj226 » Fri 31 Mar, 2017 7:46 am

Ofuros with the Guy Fawkes loop could you setup camp early on the escarpment (Chaelundi) and do the whole loop in a day if you were fit, carrying lite pack etc? Any ideas on rough length. Have a new swag I want to try and it's 22kg compared to my hiking tent of 1.5kg
Ldj226
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Postby ofuros » Fri 31 Mar, 2017 8:46 am

Ldj226 wrote:Ofuros with the Guy Fawkes loop could you setup camp early on the escarpment (Chaelundi) and do the whole loop in a day if you were fit, carrying lite pack etc? Any ideas on rough length. Have a new swag I want to try and it's 22kg compared to my hiking tent of 1.5kg

P6060036 (Large).JPG

Hopefully, you should be able to read the details in the pic.....30kms long, 700m loss in height down to the river,
then there's the valley walk & river crossings & finally the 700m height gain up to escarpment track back to camp.

Only you know how far & how fast your hairy legs will take you...but it'll be a early start & a headlamp finish if you
do decide to do it in a day...check the river levels before you go, everything drains into this river system, making for a
powerful angry serpent when there's rain around....definitely leave the swag at the Chaelundi camp area & enjoy the
comfort when you return. :wink:
Mountain views are good for my soul...& getting to them is good for my waistline !
https://ofuros.exposure.co/
ofuros
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Ldj226 » Sat 01 Apr, 2017 5:53 pm

Awesome we'll give that one a go in a day and camp at the top as long as the waters recede and weather is kind. Also looking at Mt Kaputar walks and Warrumbungle hikes any idea if these 2 areas would be crazy busy over Easter?
Ldj226
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Return to New South Wales & ACT