Looking for great ACT day hikes

NSW & ACT specific bushwalking discussion.
Forum rules
NSW & ACT specific bushwalking discussion. Please avoid publishing details of access to sensitive areas with no tracks.

Looking for great ACT day hikes

Postby gingeraman » Sun 30 Apr, 2017 9:15 am

Hi everyone..

Looking for good suggestions for epic winter day hikes around the ACT. I generally like being up high and climbing high hills... e.g. my favourite walk so far is Corin Dam to Gingera, but I've done that many times now. I love it in winter, just love it...

So I need to broaden my repertoire. Any suggestions welcome. I have a diesel AWD so I can get *somewhat* further than a normal car can, and I not only welcome but crave epic hill climbs. Bonus points for getting above the snow line for epic views for landscape shots..

I've also heard about some 'Scabby Peak' or something? Should I try coming up from the south of the Brindies toward Bimberi or something...

Also, I have a 5W UHF / VHF radio - full band - would that be of any use in those areas.. I'm thinking of getting my amateur licence so I can use the Gingera repeater if needed... A middle ground between the odd text message out and full blown PLB activation, or just to receive service broadcasts if such a thing exists... Could be handy sometimes..

I also particularly enjoy being out on my own and despise heat. Really really hate heat. Grown up with heat and flies and I'm over it.. So bring on the cold lush green landscapes and even snow I'm fine with that...

So Autumn to early Spring is my time of year. I hibernate in summer.
gingeraman
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Region: Australian Capital Territory

Re: Looking for great ACT day hikes

Postby Beekeeper » Mon 18 Dec, 2017 8:15 pm

A good day walk with a 21/2 hour drive at each end is mount bimberi from the west side. you drive to tantagera dam proceed down the good dirt road to pockets gate and leave the car there. walk along the road to the sign that says oldfields hut /murrays gap and follow the trail for about two hours (past Oldifields Hut) to murray's gap. At the gap there is a marshy meadow and on the north side there is a rock formation. From there a clear foot pad takes you North to the top of Bimberi. There are plenty of Cairns so it is pretty easy to stay on track. Even if you get off it it is pretty clear you have and you can regain it quickly. The reason I emphasise the track is that the scrub is really thick and you don't want to to bush bash through it.

The return route is the same in reverse.

I understand that the view from the trip at the top is spectacular but when my friends and I were there it was so wet we did not see anything. This is a walk where you need to observe the basic rules about water and warm clothes.

It is not necessarily the hardest walk in the ACT area but it is the highest and therefore has bragging rights.

Please note that in the winter the road to pockets is locked near the dam wall and this is not viable. It typically opens in October.
This whole area is terrific with wild brumbies, mountain hut and high country eucalyptus.

Enjoy
Beekeeper
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Region: New South Wales

Postby potato » Tue 19 Dec, 2017 11:01 am

Google John Evans and have a look at his comprehensive list of walks.

Mt Scabby summit in my view, is perhaps the most wonderful spot in Namadgi. Not necessarily a day walk but access via Sams Creek where you can take in Mt Kelly as well. From Yaouk Gap its a long day.
potato
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Tasmania

Postby gingeraman » Thu 14 Jun, 2018 4:21 pm

I keep hearing about this Mt Scabby.. Time to check it out now winter is here (I HATE hiking in heat)

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk
gingeraman
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby Zapruda » Thu 14 Jun, 2018 10:04 pm

Edit - never mind... I thought you were talking about Mt Kelly not Mt scabby. I should have read it more carefully

Hey Gingeraman. I did Mt Kelly in April this year and found the final ascent to the top incredibly scrubby. And I like the scrub.

It has changed quite a lot since I did it in 2013. Once you are at the headwaters of sams creek you are faced with an almost impenetrable wall of wrist thick saplings. This final push took almost as long as the push from yankee hat to the top of sams creek.

Happy to provide any more info if you would like. It’s truly a beautiful and wild place.
Zapruda
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby gingeraman » Thu 14 Jun, 2018 10:32 pm

I like wild and cold...

Really detest heat and flies.

Pushing through scrub is a pain though... But if I have to so be it, I'll just wear old clothes.

Good view?

My ideal time out is remote, away from people, and epic pics I can post on various groups that is unique to my journey :-)

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk
gingeraman
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby Beekeeper » Mon 05 Nov, 2018 4:43 pm

Some friends and I just completed a one day walk of Mt Gudgenby. 3 November 2018

The same comment below about Mt Kelly equally applies to Mt Gudgenby there is really thick regrowth which easily adds 2+ hours to a trip.

Nevertheless this is a fine scalp to have and is a day walk from the Yankee Hat car park. Just don't do it on your own, or on a day with fires around [you'd never be able to race it out] also be really disciplined about aiming for the saddle south of the peak and definitely try and use the very lightly marked track on the south side of the gully that emerges from the gudgenby plain.

There is a 50 meter section at the top which goes up a 40 degree granite slab. It is not hazardous and the surface provides good friction but those with vertigo might have a challenge.

Currently a very hard day walk with a superb view from the top.
Beekeeper
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Region: New South Wales

Return to New South Wales & ACT