Top walks in and around ACT

NSW & ACT specific bushwalking discussion.
Forum rules
NSW & ACT specific bushwalking discussion. Please avoid publishing details of access to sensitive areas with no tracks.

Top walks in and around ACT

Postby LuxLuthor05 » Tue 02 May, 2017 9:54 am

Hi guys!

As some of you know, my partner and I are based in the ACT. We have decided that at the end of this year, we wish to make a move to Brisbane for work and study. We don't want to have missed out on too many of the best walks around here when we leave. I am hoping that some of you can provide your top walks in and around the ACT, that you think we should prioritize completing between now and November... We have a few in mind, but I want to hear peoples opinions before voicing my own ideas... We are looking for all good'uns, ie day hikes, overnighters, multiday... We don't have any snowshoes yet either :( (we aim to get a set each during our trip to the States in 2018, as the options seem to be about 30 times as vast over there :) ), so walks that require these are probably out. We will leave some of the bigger treks (a week +) until later, as we are happy to travel for those. We look forward to hearing all of your ideas :idea: !

Lux.
LuxLuthor05
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Region: Australian Capital Territory

Re: Top walks in and around ACT

Postby north-north-west » Tue 02 May, 2017 11:10 am

As much of the AAWT as you can manage.
The border peaks - from Clear in the east, south and around over Ginini and Gingera and the other bits north of them along the ridge whose names escape me at the moment.
"Mit der Dummheit kämpfen Götter selbst vergebens."
north-north-west
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Social Misfits Anonymous
Region: Tasmania

Postby hikingoz » Tue 02 May, 2017 3:28 pm

Walking to the summit of Baroomba rocks is a good short day walk. Exploring the boulders and views along Ororal Ridge is also good fun in the same area.
hikingoz
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Mark F » Tue 02 May, 2017 4:21 pm

There is always Mt Kelly and Mt Scabby that can be done in a weekend. Many moons ago I did an Easter starting in the Yaouk Valley near Rowleys Hut over Half Moon Peak, Mt Morgan, Mt Murray, Bimberi Peak then up Mt Kelly Spur to Mt Kelly and along to Mt Scabby before dropping back down to Yaouk.
"Perfection is attained not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing more to remove".
Mark F
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby michael_p » Tue 02 May, 2017 5:08 pm

Make sure you check out John Evans site: http://www.johnevans.id.au/wp/. He has so many walks detailed on his site, it's an incredible resource.
One foot in front of the other.
michael_p
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: New South Wales

Postby awildland » Tue 02 May, 2017 8:38 pm

Actually the limit of my experience down that way is Tinderry Peak but I rate it pretty highly on our walk scale. Stunning as a day trip or overnighter, challenging though.
awildland
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Promethean » Wed 03 May, 2017 7:11 am

Gibraltar Peak/Rocks is great as a short day walk. Anything along Ridge of Stone, really.
Promethean
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Return to New South Wales & ACT