Desktop version
NSW & ACT specific bushwalking discussion.

Forum rules

NSW & ACT specific bushwalking discussion. Please avoid publishing details of access to sensitive areas with no tracks.
Post a reply

Narrow Neck - Sanitation

Mon 12 Jun, 2017 9:13 pm

Today I spent quite a nice day exploring trails along the Narrow Neck peninsula just out of Katoomba. I haven't walked there in several years. Though a few trails are now only followable by looking closely at your feet and bashing through the thick scrub overwhelming them.(the route to Redledge pass for example)

I had a secondary objective which was scouting for Friday night camp spots I could use to get a head start on weekend walks.

To my dismay virtually every offramp and clearing / potential camp spot along the length of the firetrail right up to the locked gate is littered with toilet paper. I spotted several landmines including one in the middle of the firetrail. Once you get past the locked gate its much improved. I suspect its not bushwalkers who are doing this but the many car campers and tourists who are driving out there. I spotted several 4wd motorhomes set up. Some prick had even left his dog locked in a minibus. (was gone when I circled back an hour later otherwise Id have reported it)

It was pretty bad. If I was a drastic person Id say they should put a locked gate at the start of Glenraphael Drive. Maybe they need some facilities out there.

On a side note. I stumbled upon a permanent encampment not to far from Golden stairs. Its hidden in the bush.

Re: Narrow Neck - Sanitation

Tue 13 Jun, 2017 2:07 am

Now that the road is no longer needed for the water supply pipeline, and now that bushfires are observed from helicopters rather than fixed towers, I think it's time to close off the whole of Glenraphael Drive and the fire trail, and let Narrowneck revert to informal foot pads as shown on the old sketch maps.

Tue 13 Jun, 2017 10:51 am

My understanding is that Glenraphel Drive is a council road up to the NP gate so it may be worth reporting this to the council.

This is happening not only on Glenraphael Drive but right across the mountains. People arrive in Sydney, get in their hired campervans and head up to the mountains to some spot a mate told them about in the pub last year that was OK to free camp at.

Several years back I was in the NP office at Blackheath and people came in asking the NP staff where they could free camp. The staff were very diplomatic and told them about the NPWS camp areas and the few known free camp areas. Observing the interaction I got the feeling that this happens a lot.

Michael.

Tue 13 Jun, 2017 6:27 pm

michael_p wrote:Several years back I was in the NP office at Blackheath and people came in asking the NP staff where they could free camp. The staff were very diplomatic and told them about the NPWS camp areas and the few known free camp areas.

I'm not surprised they get a lot of queries, when the sign just before the NP office at Blackheath purports to prohibit overnight stays in the national park.

20170326_180158.jpg
20170326_180158.jpg (213.31 KiB) Viewed 3727 times
Post a reply