Desktop version
NSW & ACT specific bushwalking discussion.

Forum rules

NSW & ACT specific bushwalking discussion. Please avoid publishing details of access to sensitive areas with no tracks.
Post a reply

Main Range Winter Access

Tue 20 Jun, 2017 6:43 pm

What is the best way to access Blue Lake area during winter? Charlottes Pass seems to be the easiest but probably also the most costly. Is Thredbo a better alternative. Thoughts...

Re: Main Range Winter Access

Tue 20 Jun, 2017 7:26 pm

Maybe From Guthega?
Attachments
IMG_1700.PNG

Tue 20 Jun, 2017 8:40 pm

Definitely Guthega.

You will need chains or an AWD / 4WD to legally access the road.

Will you be on skis or snowshoes?

Tue 20 Jun, 2017 9:08 pm

Thanks Lizzy and Zapruda, will look into Guthega. Zapruda, I will be snowshoeing and I have an AWD.

Tue 20 Jun, 2017 9:43 pm

Excellent! Snowshoes will get you there easily.

Wed 21 Jun, 2017 10:34 am

Definitely Guthega. Illawong track to the bridge, up to Little Twynam, then either around over Twynam and down to the track, or down Crummer Spur to Hedley Tarn and up the creek. Hedley and its creek are brilliant when frozen.

Thu 22 Jun, 2017 12:57 pm

Depends on how you define 'best'. Guthega may be the easiest option but depending on how many days you have or how adventurous you are I wouldn't consider it to be the best.........

Other options I've done in winter include from Dead Horse Gap and even from Geehi Flats (Hannels Spur in winter is fun.......... :D )

Thu 22 Jun, 2017 2:33 pm

Just a note that Charlottes Pass isn't an option during winter as the road is closed back at Perisher.

Thu 22 Jun, 2017 3:11 pm

Hannels in winter would be brilliant. if rather hard work and probably a tad risky. Dead Horse is a good way o go, whether via the track or the Ramsheads.
But it's a lot further to the Blue Lake than Guthega.

Thu 22 Jun, 2017 7:17 pm

Mark F wrote:Just a note that Charlottes Pass isn't an option during winter as the road is closed back at Perisher.
It is still an option as you can get oversnow transport to CP but it is a very expensive one...
Thanks NNW, I think Guthega is the go, we will be out for 4 or 5 days so will have heavy packs with climbing equipment so after an easier walk in before setting up a base camp out of the catchment area. Of course that is if we start getting a bit more snow soon. :)

Sat 24 Jun, 2017 8:30 pm

Have you looked at the snow cams? Last time I checked on the Spencers Ck snow depth it was 8 cm. Since my wife normally deducts 1/2 m from that figure to get the likely depth elsewhere ... it could be a bit grassy.

Sun 25 Jun, 2017 9:33 am

We did a snow shoe trip from Guthega up around Mt Tate a few years ago and found the going very tough. There simply wasn't enough of a base to walk easily. We kept sinking down as we passed over sections of uncompacted snow (e.g. on top of bushes etc). This was just after the Antarctic Vortex had hit so perhaps our timing wasn't great - maybe should have waited a bit for things to settled down.

Nevertheless it was an amazing trip. We didn't make it to the Lake but we did camp up there for a couple of nights which gave us an opportunity to explore and soak it all in. Really magical experience.

Hope your trip goes well whatever you decide to do.

Sun 25 Jun, 2017 11:23 pm

Snowzone wrote:Thanks Lizzy and Zapruda, will look into Guthega. Zapruda, I will be snowshoeing and I have an AWD.

If snowshoeing, it's good etiquette to avoid walking on the skin track of skiers and splitboarders.
Post a reply