Caves Beach to Fraser Park

NSW & ACT specific bushwalking discussion.
Forum rules
NSW & ACT specific bushwalking discussion. Please avoid publishing details of access to sensitive areas with no tracks.

Caves Beach to Fraser Park

Postby Ant71 » Wed 21 Jun, 2017 1:18 pm

Hi all my wife and I are looking to do a walk from Caves Beach to Fraser Park spending the night at Fraser Park camping grounds and returning the next day . I have been told that it's possible to do this and I have found some information on the Caves Beach end with maps and such but I can't find much information about the Fraser Park end with regard to tracks. I was wondering if anyone had done this walk before or if anyone could point me in the right direction for some more information thanks
Ant71
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Region: New South Wales

Re: Caves Beach to Fraser Park

Postby awmross » Fri 23 Jun, 2017 8:20 am

OpenStreetMap is often good for this. It indicates there are tracks from Frazer Park to Caves Beach.

Try here:

http://www.openstreetmap.org/#map=15/-33.1807/151.6315
awmross
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby Ant71 » Fri 23 Jun, 2017 9:05 pm

awmross wrote:OpenStreetMap is often good for this. It indicates there are tracks from Frazer Park to Caves Beach.

Try here:

http://www.openstreetmap.org/#map=15/-33.1807/151.6315

Thanks awmross that's a big help. It's pretty much what I thought but it's nice to see it on a map
Ant71
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Postby kjbeath » Sat 24 Jun, 2017 11:57 am

It may have changed slightly due to the subdivision, but I think the track onto the headland and down to the northern end of Moonee Beach still exists. As the map shows the track exits part way along the beach, and heads up the hill. Before doing that it is worthwhile to walk along the beach to Flat Rock and the little beach to the south. Just to the south of Flat Rock there is an area of petrified forest that is visible only at low tide. With daypacks it is possible to get over to Timber Beach at low tide but would be difficult with full packs, that then allows access up to the Moonee Beach Track. Easier option is to go back to Moonee Beach.

At the top follow Snapper Point Road down to Snapper Point and it is easy to walk down to Fraser Beach.
kjbeath
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Rob Gosford » Sat 24 Jun, 2017 8:02 pm

kjbeath wrote: Before doing that it is worthwhile to walk along the beach to Flat Rock and the little beach to the south. .

Hi,
yes walk south along Mooney Beach towards Flat Rock point, then go past Flat Rock point, continue onto the beach veering a bit to your right. At the very end of that beach you will see a 'wide' crack in the rock wall at the far end. THAT beach is called Ghosties Beach. That 'crack' in the rock wall is the entry to Ghosties Beach sea cave. At low tide, go right in and you can view out the other side. Its fun.

some pics I took several years ago..........

red arrow points to the sea cave entry.
100_0197 (640x480).jpg
100_0197 (640x480).jpg (161.61 KiB) Viewed 8134 times

entry.
100_0198 (640x480).jpg
100_0198 (640x480).jpg (246.31 KiB) Viewed 8134 times

view from inside at other end
100_0199 (640x480).jpg
100_0199 (640x480).jpg (214.38 KiB) Viewed 8134 times
Rob Gosford
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby iandsmith » Sun 16 Jul, 2017 8:08 pm

Moonee Beach (67).JPG
Moonee, southern end
Moonee Beach (39).JPG
Looking south to the cave
Moonee Beach (14).JPG
Creek at northern end of Moonee
Thanks for the cave info. We are planning to walk there some time in the future. I used to surf at Moonee a lot when I was younger but never went to the southern end of "Voomoo" as we used to call it. Some pics from a recent walk we did at Moonee
iandsmith
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby kjbeath » Fri 21 Jul, 2017 10:18 pm

In the photo "Looking south to the cave" the closest area in the water is the petrified forest. This was mentioned by Edgeworth David, the famous geologist, in his notes.

At the southern end of the beach where the cave is that you can walk through, at the other end of the cave is a small beach then the small headland. It is possible to scramble onto it. Then over the other side is a nice rock pool for swimming at low tide. The beach there is Timber Beach. At the southern end of this beach there are some tunnels into the rock. One of these is only accessible at very low tide and sometimes this doesn't even work if there is no sand buildup. It can be walked into (take a waterproof torch) and opens up into a large sea cave https://www.flickr.com/photos/stevpas68 ... ateposted/ Not my photo, i've never dared take my camera gear in there.
kjbeath
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Rob Gosford » Sat 22 Jul, 2017 6:56 am

kjbeath wrote:At the southern end of the beach where the cave is that you can walk through, at the other end of the cave is a small beach then the small headland. It is possible to scramble onto it. Then over the other side is a nice rock pool for swimming at low tide. The beach there is Timber Beach. At the southern end of this beach there are some tunnels into the rock. One of these is only accessible at very low tide and sometimes this doesn't even work if there is no sand buildup. It can be walked into (take a waterproof torch) and opens up into a large sea cave

https://www.flickr.com/photos/stevpas68 ... ateposted/ Not my photo, i've never dared take my camera gear in there.

thanks very much for the info mate. Interesting !
and thanks for giving the link to Steve's photo :shock: WOW ! great shot !
I never knew any of that existed...........must get out there more :lol:
:wink:
Rob Gosford
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Return to New South Wales & ACT