Desktop version
NSW & ACT specific bushwalking discussion.

Forum rules

NSW & ACT specific bushwalking discussion. Please avoid publishing details of access to sensitive areas with no tracks.
Post a reply

Lower Kowmung Historical accounts

Fri 30 Jun, 2017 1:28 pm

Hi Forum Folks
Do any of us have any historical accounts of walking the lower Kowmung
now sadly off limits in the Special Areas
Thanks
John

Re: Lower Kowmung Historical accounts

Sat 01 Jul, 2017 12:27 pm

Hi John,

Sorry I can't help with info on historical walking in the Lower Kowmung. But, if you are interested in the history of the area Jim Barrett has written several books on the Burragorang area. Can be a bit hard to find but do make a good read.

Regards,
Michael.

Sat 01 Jul, 2017 5:13 pm

I have no direct experience of the area, johnrs, but I find the 1937 sketch map fascinating.

It shows how different that part of the world was, before the dam. Plenty of walking routes are marked on the map. Sorry my upload is not very good quality - it's from a blurry photo of an interpretive sign at the Kedumba Valley campsite.

20170411_135600.jpg
20170411_135600.jpg (172.85 KiB) Viewed 10340 times

Sun 02 Jul, 2017 12:05 am

Interesting map- Looks like Butchers Creek was called ..ack Hollow Creek.

Gandalf used to walk through there before it was dammed and has shared a few fascinating stories with me- I have told him he should write a book about all his early adventures in this area, Nattai etc.

In addition to Jim Barrett's books there is another (which is about the Kowmung in general- including the Tuglow-upper reaches) called Walking the Valley which I have had for many years.

Clarence

Sun 02 Jul, 2017 12:29 am

clarence wrote:Looks like Butchers Creek was called ..ack Hollow Creek.

The full name on the map is "Butcher's or Black Hollow Creek"

Mon 10 Jul, 2017 6:00 pm

Butchers Creek: currently carrying 100+ wild horses, 200+ wild cows, 200+ wild pigs and god knows how many wild goats. Yeah, I have SEEN them, smelt them and heard them.
And the Water Board reckons that one bushwalker straying into the catchment zone will pollute the Sydney water supply.

Cheers
Roger

Tue 11 Jul, 2017 11:24 am

Thanks for your commentary folks!
And Roger I echo your sentiments but think you have way underestimated the number of pigs,
possibly by an order of magnitude!
Are there cameras around the Cox Lower Kowmung junction??
John
And Roger did you ever guide for Geoff Wyatt out of Wanaka in another age??

Thu 13 Jul, 2017 3:27 pm

ribuck wrote:I have no direct experience of the area, johnrs, but I find the 1937 sketch map fascinating.
[/attachment]

try here for that map: http://nla.gov.au/nla.obj-233873162/view

Thu 13 Jul, 2017 8:35 pm

duncanm wrote:try here for that map: http://nla.gov.au/nla.obj-233873162/view

Wow what an amazing map that is. Our GPS's and satellite aided paper maps might be more accurate but the old style hand drawn definitely give you the greater sense of adventure.

Scanned at a very good resolution ! Nice job national library.

Fri 14 Jul, 2017 9:55 am

Beautiful map indeed!
I think Myles Dunphy was attributed with the production of the Blue Mountains Tourist map.
And any info regarding cameras on the Kowmung near the Cox junction would be appreciated.
John

Sat 15 Jul, 2017 10:26 am

hi all
YOU can still get close to the LOWER KOWMUNG IF YOU go out to the town of Yerranderi it is now a ghost town and you need 4X4 Drive I have seen photos of the bridge before the dam covered it Paddy Pallin book Never Truly Lost A bushWalker,s life ISBN 0 86840 194 3. For those of you how would like to read of Walking in the 1930 and 1940 also in the book there is a chapter on Myles Dunphy MAPS and the mistakes in them and parts not shown
Terry

Sun 16 Jul, 2017 6:00 pm

And Roger I echo your sentiments but think you have way underestimated the number of pigs,
possibly by an order of magnitude!

Oh, quite possibly. I know the Service tried to cull all the pigs out of the Kanangra many years ago, but it was a losing battle. They just keep filtering over Scotts. I think they also collected a lot of cows that time. Should have been profitable ...

Are there cameras around the Cox Lower Kowmung junction??

Hum --- I have never seen any. I seriously doubt it.

And Roger did you ever guide for Geoff Wyatt out of Wanaka in another age??

Nope.

Cheers
Roger
Post a reply