Alternative routes - Mittagong - Yerranderie/Kanangra Walls?

NSW & ACT specific bushwalking discussion.
Forum rules
NSW & ACT specific bushwalking discussion. Please avoid publishing details of access to sensitive areas with no tracks.

Alternative routes - Mittagong - Yerranderie/Kanangra Walls?

Postby Mark F » Thu 13 Jul, 2017 7:33 pm

I am contemplating a few variations on the standard Mittagong-Yerranderie section of Mittagong to Katoomba and so am seeking current knowledge. I have read several excellent threads on the area and am trying to link these threads with the mapping and how to best extend them to Kanangra Walls.
It seems there that other than Nattai routes that I have walked leading to Beloon Pass and Yerranderie there are a couple of interesting possibilities leading off from the Wombeyan Caves Road.

1. From Wanganderry Road head down Burnt Flat Creek past Bonnum Pic, along the Wollondilly and link into the standard route through Yerranderie. It looks like you can easily connect into the Central Ridge FT without Waterboard risks.
2. Head off from Goodmans Ford to Barralier then up Murruin Creek, Bindook Mountain, out to the Yerranderie Road to pick up the track to Colong Caves and the Uni Rover Trail. I have read the detailed thread that discusses Murruin Creek but would like a little more detail about exiting up to the Bindook area.

Comments on any other alternatives, level of difficulty (I am not into hard off track scrub), issues with private land access etc would be welcome.
"Perfection is attained not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing more to remove".
Mark F
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: Australian Capital Territory

Re: Alternative routes - Mittagong - Yerranderie/Kanangra Wa

Postby clarence » Thu 13 Jul, 2017 8:18 pm

The route up Murruin Creek is excellent. There are no tracks, but the going is very pleasant. Amazing wilderness creek walking. Getting out of the creek and on to the plateau is no big deal. The side trip to Bindook Falls is an hour or so and well worth it.

We came down into Church Creek rather than the Uni Rover trail.

I can look up my maps and confirm the route and PM you if you want.

Clarence
clarence
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Tasmania

Postby puredingo » Fri 14 Jul, 2017 8:12 am

Murriun creek is very excellent as Clarence says and if you're running a bit behind time has an abundance of great camping spots. Climbing the up to the Bindook property via Bindook mountain is an option and an easy one at that but you will be way past the central ridge ft, as you no doubt know.

My preference would to do Murriun but head up to the Bullnigang heights, head across Random swamp, pass under Mt Egan and on to the Cenral Ft, through to

Another interesting route but more direct would be to cross the Wollondilly to Pallin flat, climb one of the Spurs up on to the Millnigang ft and from the junction at the end of the road you can decide which way to Yerranderie suits you...Oberon stock to the left, Sheepwash/central ridge to the right.
puredingo
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: New South Wales

Postby Mark F » Fri 14 Jul, 2017 8:46 am

Thanks guys. I should have said that if I went via Murriun Creek then I would bypass Yerranderie. As I look at the area more there looks like a few nice multi-day loops can be created. I remember only one trip in the area from the 70's and the details are very vague other than the view of 5 platypuses swimming in a large pool as we climbed away from the Wollindilly.
"Perfection is attained not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing more to remove".
Mark F
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: Australian Capital Territory

Return to New South Wales & ACT