Great North Walk 2-day section?

NSW & ACT specific bushwalking discussion.
Forum rules
NSW & ACT specific bushwalking discussion. Please avoid publishing details of access to sensitive areas with no tracks.

Great North Walk 2-day section?

Postby jimmeyer176 » Sun 06 Aug, 2017 11:15 am

Was hoping someone could recommend a good 2-day section of the Great North Walk relatively close to Sydney. I was going to do the Six Foot Track however have come to learn it's basically a road so that's out. I was thinking something like Thornleigh to Berowra or something similar, any recommendations appreciated, thinking around 20-30 kms as I'm nursing an injury and (very) slowly building back up.

Also, if you could be specific in your recommendations that would be very helpful, I don't know the area all that well.
jimmeyer176
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: New South Wales

Re: Great North Walk 2-day section?

Postby Rob Gosford » Sun 06 Aug, 2017 11:32 am

Thornleigh Rail Station to Mt. Kuring-gai Rail Station 24klms.......camp overnight at Tunks Ridge Rest Area. From memory there is a LOO there.

http://www.wildwalks.com/bushwalking-and-hiking-in-nsw/berowra-valley-regional-park/thornleigh-to-mt-kuring-gai.html#tn

if more adventurous, 30klms Thornleigh to Cowan Rail Station. Some very steep sections. Thoroughly recommended :)

R. 8)
Rob Gosford
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby jimmeyer176 » Sun 06 Aug, 2017 10:43 pm

Must be longer then 30kms to Cowan no? Isn't it 13 kms just from Berowra to Cowan?

This sounds like a good suggestion Thornleigh-Mt Kuring-Gai
jimmeyer176
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Rob Gosford » Mon 07 Aug, 2017 8:11 am

yep 36 Ks.........
from south to north, the full length of the Berowra Vally Regional Park.
http://www.wildwalks.com/bushwalking-and-hiking-in-nsw/berowra-valley-regional-park/thornleigh-to-cowan.html

8)
Rob Gosford
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby GPSGuided » Mon 07 Aug, 2017 9:17 am

Rob Gosford wrote:...camp overnight at Tunks Ridge Rest Area. From memory there is a LOO there.

Just read in the Wildwalks link that the compost loo was removed at some point. So it's all natural...
Just move it!
GPSGuided
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby wildwanderer » Mon 07 Aug, 2017 5:50 pm

If your after a shorter walk (but fairly hilly) I can recommend the 17km Mount Kuring-gai to Cowan section. (could also do a more epic 32km Mount Kuring-gai to Brooklyn journey if your fit.. dont under estimate the hills ! :mrgreen: )

Mount K to Cowan is a beautiful walk though its only half a days walking each day if your overnighting it. The first section, descending Lyrebird gully by the flowing creek is very picturesque.

Camp on the first ridge after Berowra waters. Some nice spots to camp up there with views of Berowra Waters from nearby cliffs. You can get clean tap water at Berowra Waters and there is also potential water the next day in a few creeks. (filter it and avoid sourcing water from creeks close to the bay as the salt water can penetrate a little upstream)

Unless you have a large party I don't recommend the regular 'ridge top campground' (2nd hill after BWaters), as its just a flat piece of chopped up ground next to a fire trail with no water and there is traffic noise from the highway.
wildwanderer
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby jimmeyer176 » Mon 07 Aug, 2017 10:49 pm

wildwanderer wrote:If your after a shorter walk (but fairly hilly) I can recommend the 17km Mount Kuring-gai to Cowan section. (could also do a more epic 32km Mount Kuring-gai to Brooklyn journey if your fit.. dont under estimate the hills ! :mrgreen: )

Mount K to Cowan is a beautiful walk though its only half a days walking each day if your overnighting it. The first section, descending Lyrebird gully by the flowing creek is very picturesque.

Camp on the first ridge after Berowra waters. Some nice spots to camp up there with views of Berowra Waters from nearby cliffs. You can get clean tap water at Berowra Waters and there is also potential water the next day in a few creeks. (filter it and avoid sourcing water from creeks close to the bay as the salt water can penetrate a little upstream)

Unless you have a large party I don't recommend the regular 'ridge top campground' (2nd hill after BWaters), as its just a flat piece of chopped up ground next to a fire trail with no water and there is traffic noise from the highway.

Every Sunday I hike from Cowan to Berowra wearing 10kg, that's 13kms and I do find it fairly rough some days but I'm always pushing it, made it in 2.45 once but usually closer to 3 hours (no breaks). No big climbs but constant up and down, a bit hard to catch a groove. Compared to that what's the track like from Cowan to Brooklyn? I know the campsite you're speaking about above Berowra Waters, nice spot up there and great idea bout bringing up water from the tap in the parking lot.

Also, how far is Crosslands from Berowra? I think there is a turnoff about 2k's in, goes off to the left and drops down, does that lead to Mt. Kuring-gai? I think Wildwalks is a great site but for some reason I struggle with some of the descriptions, not sure if it's just me.
jimmeyer176
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby wildwanderer » Tue 08 Aug, 2017 10:44 am

jimmeyer176 wrote:Every Sunday I hike from Cowan to Berowra wearing 10kg, that's 13kms and I do find it fairly rough some days but I'm always pushing it, made it in 2.45 once but usually closer to 3 hours (no breaks). No big climbs but constant up and down, a bit hard to catch a groove. Compared to that what's the track like from Cowan to Brooklyn? I know the campsite you're speaking about above Berowra Waters, nice spot up there and great idea bout bringing up water from the tap in the parking lot.

Also, how far is Crosslands from Berowra? I think there is a turnoff about 2k's in, goes off to the left and drops down, does that lead to Mt. Kuring-gai? I think Wildwalks is a great site but for some reason I struggle with some of the descriptions, not sure if it's just me.

Cowan to Brooklyn has hills but its easier than Mt K to Cowan. Very nice scenery as you walk down to Jerusalem Bay. Water at brooklyn dam. (filter it) A bit of firetrail bashing at the end. With your regular Sunday training you should be plenty fit enough. And the cooler weather and water resupply points mean you shouldn't need a pack heavier than 10kg for the complete 32km route.

Not sure the distance from Crosslands to Berowra off the top of my head. I don't use extensive notes like you find on wildwalks as I found I would spend most of the time looking out at the notes and trying to pick out the next ref point and the following ref point 20 meters after that and so on.

I tend to plan a route online, load it in the gps and then while walking use map to ground skills for most of my hikes. I'l check in with the gps from time to time to but its the ability to look at a map, read the contours and see it as a representation of my surroundings (and pinpoint location) that Ive found the most useful skill. Doesn't always work in flat ground with heavy foliage but a compass can help and there is always a full route track with the gps as backup.
wildwanderer
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Bush_walker » Thu 10 Aug, 2017 12:06 pm

Please can someone advice where I should camp and stop form Somersby store to further up toward New castle.

A week ago I did “Wondabyne to Somersby Store” in overnight camp around at 18+km at the top of the ridge. Before I start walk I park my car at Somersby store and took the bus to get Gosford Station and then train to Wondabyne Station to start the walk from there and finish at Somersby store.

I need some info If I go further where should I camp and get public transport to get my car, or other way around or any other solutions please.
I love to do camping as well so pls advice a section 20 km + for overnight walk / camp point of view.
Bush_walker
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: None

Postby johnw » Thu 10 Aug, 2017 9:44 pm

jimmeyer176 wrote:Also, how far is Crosslands from Berowra? I think there is a turnoff about 2k's in, goes off to the left and drops down, does that lead to Mt. Kuring-gai?

4 or 5 km-ish. Yes it does. Coming from Berowra station the turnoff just before Naa Badu lookout drops down to Sams Creek, tracks alongside the mangroves briefly then follows Berowra Creek to the interesting salt marsh plain. After crossing that you come to an informal camp site and the impressive new bridge. Optionally cross that and walk about 1km into Crosslands. Returning across the new bridge follow the track south along Calna Creek then up Lyrebrid Gully to Mt Kur-ring-gai. I've done that a number of times and always found it pleasant, traversing a variety of scenery. It's a fairly easy walk of maybe 10km and doesn't take all that long. It's not as steep as either Berowra to Cowan or Cowan to Brooklyn.
John W

In Nature's keeping they are safe, but through the agency of man destruction is making rapid progress - John Muir c1912
johnw
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby jimmeyer176 » Mon 14 Aug, 2017 9:56 pm

Cheers everyone
jimmeyer176
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Return to New South Wales & ACT