marker tape removal

NSW & ACT specific bushwalking discussion.
Forum rules
NSW & ACT specific bushwalking discussion. Please avoid publishing details of access to sensitive areas with no tracks.

Re: marker tape removal

Postby Lith » Tue 24 Jul, 2018 11:41 am

Huntsman247 wrote:
Lith wrote:
Huntsman247 wrote:Access to Mt Owen in the Budawangs has recently been marked with large pieces of thick fluro tape. Looks terrible. I injured my knee and was keen on getting back out by a certain time so I refrained from removing them. It's not even discrete placement or size. Hope the next person through there removes them...

it's not even discrete placement or size

I wonder why? Perhaps it's meant to assist navigation for those unfamiliar with the area
Nah really? Won't have figured that.
It's an eyesaw. It's not like there aren't cains to mark the way. It's basically the same as tying your rubbish to a tree an claiming it's supposed to be a positive thing. [WEARY FACE]

Sent from my MHA-L29 using Tapatalk

Even knowing what it's for you remove it? Absolutely despicable.

Not many communities I'm apart of are as unfriendly to beginners as bushwalking is, actually I'm ashamed to say bushwalking is probably the worst, too many people who have been walking for 40 years who can find their way around the bush at night with only the stars to guide them and assume everyone else is the same. Demanding that everyone be an expert navigator before they attempt the easiest walks. Thinking that if you lose the trail around a treefall you deserve to get lost. Just shameful. Have you forgotten that 99% of people on trails are not regular walkers?

If you all were half as passionate about actual issues like people actually littering as you are about tape markers maybe we'd get something done. We destroy the land and deface it with everything in our power and threads exist about tape markers. Instead of spending your day removing markers, how about you go to your local lookout and stop the teenagers carving their names into the rock?

Keep taking markers down but there will always be people like me walking with a roll of tape in their pack ready to leave a marker to help those less experienced.
Lith
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Region: New South Wales

Postby wildwanderer » Tue 24 Jul, 2018 12:12 pm

Lith wrote:Even knowing what it's for you remove it? Absolutely despicable.

Not many communities I'm apart of are as unfriendly to beginners as bushwalking is, actually I'm ashamed to say bushwalking is probably the worst, too many people who have been walking for 40 years who can find their way around the bush at night with only the stars to guide them and assume everyone else is the same. Demanding that everyone be an expert navigator before they attempt the easiest walks. Thinking that if you lose the trail around a treefall you deserve to get lost. Just shameful. Have you forgotten that 99% of people on trails are not regular walkers?

If you all were half as passionate about actual issues like people actually littering as you are about tape markers maybe we'd get something done. We destroy the land and deface it with everything in our power and threads exist about tape markers. Instead of spending your day removing markers, how about you go to your local lookout and stop the teenagers carving their names into the rock?

Keep taking markers down but there will always be people like me walking with a roll of tape in their pack ready to leave a marker to help those less experienced.

Sorry mate, with due respect.

Even though your intentions are good. It is littering and your unintentionally contributing to others getting lost.

There are plenty of tape markers in the bush that have nothing to do with trail routes. Some of them are bushfire control lines, or bush regeneration markers or even left over from orienteering exercises etc etc. Someone who is used to following your tape has no incentive to learn how to navigate. One day they will spot a bushfire control line, think it leads to the 'trail' and get themselves horribly lost searching for the next bit of tape marker.

Another scenario.. a person follows tape markers that do show a route. except this marker tape was placed several years ago and is now 50% covered by foilage or fallen off. The person follows the tape and then cant find the next lot.. they keep walking, trying to find it.. and become disorientated. They have no nav skills (because they always followed tape/signs) and now cant find their way back...

or they could use a map, compass a gps or even their phone... and learn some basic navigation. Its not hard.. I learnt it in year 7 of high school (and there are plenty of youtube videos). There is no need to be an expert navigator and it’s not about being elitist. Its about being safe and promoting the safety of others. AND not polluting the environment.

Plastic marker tape will last for years maybe 10s or even 100s of years, it will eventually make its way into streams and be used for bird/animal habitats. Its littering and vandalism.
Additionally, taping unfortunately leads to some thinking that this is also appropriate. viewtopic.php?f=36&t=23086
wildwanderer
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Huntsman247 » Tue 24 Jul, 2018 6:45 pm

Lith wrote:
Huntsman247 wrote:
Lith wrote:

Mate. Settle down. There are plenty Cains there. Track is pretty decent. If you don't have the skills to navigate you should probably join a club to learn those skills or go with someone who does.
Don't use it as an excuse to litter.
Why someone put it there is beside the point. It's garbage and it's called littering. I'm not against a few cains marking a path but when someone starts leaving rubbish around its not cool at all. Not for the environment and not for the asthetics. You need to draw the line somewhere. 50mm fluro tape is over that line. Whats next? Spray painting arrows everywhere so no one gets lost?

Those lookouts you talk about are already damaged. Let's keep what little pristine wilderness there is left pristine.

And fyi I'm pretty sure it's illegal to mark tracks with anything unless your authorised by national parks.
Huntsman247
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Postby Neo » Tue 24 Jul, 2018 6:54 pm

Can't trust tape.
Sometimes it's where you are walking anyway.
Often it appears random.
Rarely consistently placed!
Neo
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby CasualNerd » Tue 24 Jul, 2018 7:01 pm

Do you guys go around taking down parks track markers too ?

In poor weather with low visibility those tapes can help people get home safely, why would you remove them ?

I wouldn't encourage people to tape tracks either, but there are plenty of places those tapes have been very helpful - whether you can navigate or not.
CasualNerd
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Tasmania

Postby Neo » Tue 24 Jul, 2018 7:13 pm

There is a rotted off signpost at the creek/junction in Monolith Valley, Budawangs Heritage Area. I didn't pay much attention to it but turning from there back towards The Castle isn't super obvious.
(go east from the little foot bridge, just up from the 'Revegetation cave')
Neo
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Huntsman247 » Tue 24 Jul, 2018 10:33 pm

CasualNerd wrote:Do you guys go around taking down parks track markers too ?

In poor weather with low visibility those tapes can help people get home safely, why would you remove them ?

I wouldn't encourage people to tape tracks either, but there are plenty of places those tapes have been very helpful - whether you can navigate or not.
The tape I'm annoyed about is not np issue. Very different to the tape workers use. Yes it can be helpful in some situations but the negatives outweigh the minor benefits.
Huntsman247

Postby Aardvark » Wed 25 Jul, 2018 4:53 am

Anyone who advocates the existence of tape on a permanent basis only shows their ignorance.
If you put tape out you are obligated to remove it.
Who give you the right to navigate a path, mark it and deny others the chance to navigate it themselves?
Ever on the search for a one ended stick.
Aardvark
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Queensland

Postby tom_brennan » Wed 25 Jul, 2018 10:27 am

wildwanderer wrote:Same with Mt Dawson near Newnes. tape every 5 metres.. Utterly disgraceful. Luckily not crepe paper but still..
If any are in the area please remove. I wish I had.

I removed a bunch of stuff from there 2 years ago. I assume it's back! Who carries this stuff?
Bushwalking NSW - http://bushwalkingnsw.com
tom_brennan
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Huntsman247 » Wed 06 Nov, 2019 7:07 pm

Came across a some serious trail marking today.... Every 5m... Most 30cm long... Filled a waterbottle pocket.Image
Huntsman247

Postby rcaffin » Fri 08 Nov, 2019 10:13 am

It's attitudes like that which lead on to cut tracks for MTBs, then tracks for quad bikes, then for 4WDs. Then wholesale trashing of the bush for private gain.

Sorry Lith, but the overwhelming concensus is hard against you. So is NPWS policy, and so is Club policy. Leave nothing (and take nothing)!

Cheers
rcaffin
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby puredingo » Tue 12 Nov, 2019 12:20 pm

They're at it again!!
I did the castle on the weekend and not only are the rocks carved somebody has tagged it in orange tape.

STOP IT!!!
puredingo
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Previous

Return to New South Wales & ACT