Recent Water Condition of The Coast Track

NSW & ACT specific bushwalking discussion.
Forum rules
NSW & ACT specific bushwalking discussion. Please avoid publishing details of access to sensitive areas with no tracks.

Recent Water Condition of The Coast Track

Postby WKK » Wed 13 Sep, 2017 7:44 pm

Hi,
I'm going to walk The COast Track from Bundeena to Otford.
I'm finding information about the water source. I found some useful information from
viewtopic.php?f=36&t=15287

There are water sources in Garie Beach and Wattamolla. But I am afraid that they may be dried up because it's quite dry recently. Do you know that the recent condition of these sources?

Just dun wanna bring so much. haha

Thanks a lot.
WKK
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Region: New South Wales

Re: Recent Water Condition of The Coast Track

Postby DaveNoble » Wed 13 Sep, 2017 11:08 pm

Plenty of water. I was on a walk to the northern part of the track recently. Good water at the Waterun near Bundeena. Water in the creek above Little Marley Lagoon (but beware - it could be polluted, treat, filter or boil), and plenty of water in the main creek that flows into Wattamolla (about 500 m north of the carpark). So I would expect the other water sources to be OK - creek near the lookout overlooking Werrong Beach, Curracorrong, Curracorang, Taps at Garie, Taps at Wattamolla (probably OK to drink despite signs).
DaveNoble
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Flipper Hands » Thu 14 Sep, 2017 12:36 am

Yep plenty of water least weekend on northern end. Waterun was clear and plentiful and there was even limited water at The Cobblers. Probably could drink both straight out of the stream. I didnt head much further south than the traditional Bundeena > Otford trail head.

I'd avoid Marley, but though a Sawyer or Lifestraw I'd you should be able to use it if necessary.

North of Wattamola the path crosses the creek, downstream there is a weir that is almost always flowing and clear. I have never seen it dry.

I'd avoid the Wattamola tanks unless you have to.

The water tanks at Garie are foul, last resort, but it won't kill you. Hope that as you go through to North Era you can con one of the locals to filling you up with rainwater.

North Era often has a boggy creek inland that I have seen people pump filter water from, last time I was there in January there was no water at all..

There are numerous other water sources that I have seen flowing in the full heat of summer. Drink and fill up often and travel light would be my advice.

There are creeks in between Otford and North Era, but water quality is questionable and they are unreliable.

I've done this track many times, single day, multiday, in both directions.
My favorite is to make a very early start via train to Otford, hydrate hard on the train, hit the trail at first light, and go hard all day with the aim being to make the last ferry from Bundeena to Cronulla. This way you avoid the climb up to Otford at the end of a tough day, and can completely avoid a car shuffle. I live near Sutherland, plenty of parking to leave a car for the day if needed and a good place to start and end.
Flipper Hands
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Postby WKK » Thu 14 Sep, 2017 12:13 pm

Thank you very much for updates and advice.

I've bought a Sawyer mini filter for this trip. I can fully utilize it in this trip.

It is great that there is reliable water source in Wattamolla. Then at least I dun need to carry few litres of water from Bundeena.

Btw, it sounds very attractive if start the track from Otford. I have to really consider about it :)
WKK
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Postby jeremyw » Fri 17 Nov, 2017 6:27 pm

Did this walk yesterday/today for the first time - north bound from otford, next time I would do this southbound - 22k's on the second day wasn't the most fun.

Based on the previous comments carried enough to get me to watammola - Ended up refilling too much at Garie and had enough for the rest of the walk.

Waterrun was clear but looked a bit low

Wattamolla dam is certainly reliable and looks like a decent place for a swim.

Curracurrang Cove was a bit low and a little foamy but probably fine treated.

Curracurang Creek was quite low.

Curra Brook was flowing quite clear and well would likely fill up here if possible.

There was also one little stream shortly after that had a decent flow (it did rain last night though so that might be the only reason there was any)

Didn't see any of the garie beach rill's flowing but didn't really go upstream or anything. Surf club at the southern end of garie beach is likely the last place to reliably get water until otford - fill up here for a dry camp.

The stream at little era and the larger stream at north era camp ground was flowing to the ocean but I wouldn't drink them filtered especially with the location of the toilets at north era being just up stream.

Between north era and otford nothing was flowing saw a few dry streams but they would have been a pain to get to even if they had water.

Take away:
I had a few concerns about water this time of year but turned out unfounded - if I did this walk again I probably wouldn't carry more than 2L at a time with only a real need for 1-1.5L most of the time (especially up north), with the exception of the north era dry camp needing a little more for dinner / breakfast needs and the otford-north era stretch.

Off topic / other notes:
Wedding cake rock is fenced off - don't expect pics on top of it.

South bound:
Otford Pantry near otford station is a nice place to eat afterwards (decent pies) - closed weekdays but the owner happened to be there and served us anyway.

North bound:
Passionfruid Cafe serves great hot chips - first place on the right as you walk towards the warf.
jeremyw
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Region: Other Country

Return to New South Wales & ACT