Singa-Jingawell Creek Campsite question - Mt Solitary

NSW & ACT specific bushwalking discussion.
Forum rules
NSW & ACT specific bushwalking discussion. Please avoid publishing details of access to sensitive areas with no tracks.

Singa-Jingawell Creek Campsite question - Mt Solitary

Postby NickB » Fri 15 Sep, 2017 10:10 am

Hi All,
I've hiked up to Mt Solitary before from Golden Stairs via Ruined Castle and made the return trip in approx. 5 hrs with a mate - with packs on for some NZ hiking training.

I'm heading up again soon and want to camp up there. I hear that Singa-Jingawell Creek Campsite is a good option.

Is it hard to find????????? - pretty much just follow the trail on the Mt Solitary east for approx. 30-45 mins?

Last time we went up here (first pic) and soon after found this spot (titled campsite) - any of you know the name of that spot? - so Singa Jingawell is just approx. 30 mins east of there.

Also is the Kedumba walk out to near the old hospital a good option.

Thank you v much in advance for your help :))))

Nick
Attachments
Up pic.jpg
campsite.jpg
NickB
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Region: New South Wales

Re: Singa-Jingawell Creek Campsite question - Mt Solitary

Postby DaveNoble » Fri 15 Sep, 2017 10:22 am

The campsite at Singa-Jinga-Well Ck is easy to find - it is next to the track, and its best to walk through it. I have listed and discussed various campsites on Mt Solitary on my blog - http://www.david-noble.net/blog/?p=3363

Dave
DaveNoble
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby NickB » Fri 15 Sep, 2017 10:37 am

Thanks Dave - so is that second pic Chinamans?

Just some feedback for you that I really appreciate your blog and youtube clips.
Wishing I was outdoors as much as you and as organized with my pics etc. Thank you very much for sharing. Nick
NickB
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby DaveNoble » Fri 15 Sep, 2017 11:48 am

The first pic looks like the start of the track out from Chinamans - heading east. The second pic, looks more like the first campsite on the hill above the climb up Korowall Knifedge - in the Casuarinas.

Chinamans Gully is pretty obvious - the track goes down to a small open saddle, with a lookout a short way to the south. To the north is a gully with three large camp caves on the east side (camping no longer permitted in the caves I think). The gully is about 250 m long - and you arrive at the northern cliffline, a side track goes down the gully.

Dave
DaveNoble
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Chunder fuzz » Fri 15 Sep, 2017 12:59 pm

Depends on what you mean by 'good option' - you can walk out via Kedumba pass along some fire trail to the hospital, the road is accessible by car closer to the pass though.
Chunder fuzz
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Postby wildwanderer » Fri 15 Sep, 2017 3:26 pm

:x :x Grr that pink paint makes my blood boil. I hope the tard who put that there hasn't similarly defaced the rest of the solitary route.

@OP
Re Chinamans Gully location :There is likely still big white signs at Chinamans informing of some aboriginal significance etc etc excuse for the reasons we cant use the camp caves there anymore. Chinamans is also directly after the first significant decent (after you climb on to Solitary) and a turn to the east. (if coming from ruined castle). Its a big campsite and very hard to miss.

The route from Chinamans gully to Singa-Jingawell is fairly straight forward your essentially on a long undulating ridgeline with significant drops either side.
There are a number of small campsites (space for one / two tents) along the route. You will know you reached Singa-Jingawell when you see a more extensive campsite with multiple tent sites at the bottom of a decline. The creek runs along the right hand side (in dry weather as we have now its usually not running) however water can possibly be found by scouting along the creek. Chinaman's gully is a more reliable source. A search on the forums should turn up multiple info on possible locations for water at Chinaman's.
wildwanderer
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby NickB » Fri 15 Sep, 2017 5:13 pm

Thanks all. V helpful. Much appreciated. Have a great weekend. Go Swans
NickB
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Return to New South Wales & ACT