Water at Barrington Tops

NSW & ACT specific bushwalking discussion.
Forum rules
NSW & ACT specific bushwalking discussion. Please avoid publishing details of access to sensitive areas with no tracks.

Water at Barrington Tops

Postby tiny_tol » Mon 18 Sep, 2017 1:47 pm

Anyone been up to Barrington Tops recently? Given how dry it's been over winter I'm curious about water levels. Is there still water in Wombat Creek? Any reliable water sources off Mount Nelson Trail (or north thereof)?
tiny_tol
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Region: New South Wales

Re: Water at Barrington Tops

Postby kjbeath » Tue 19 Sep, 2017 8:31 pm

Creeks on Barrington are generally fed from sphagnum moss bogs and aren’t that dependent on rain, and Wombat creek would be one of those. Anything on a ridge is different so Mt Nielsen trail may be risky, check the mapfor where the water sources originate.

Plus Barrington is a lot wetter than anywhere around.
kjbeath
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby A Jay » Mon 25 Sep, 2017 12:26 am

kjbeath wrote:Plus Barrington is a lot wetter than anywhere around.

I heard Barrington has subtropical rainforest in the south-east part of Barrington Tops? So that would be quite wet I guess?

When you say Barrington is wetter than anywhere around, where are we comparing to, is it wetter than say Wattagans, Wollembi, and Blue Mountains? I like wet rainforest so I'd definitely plan to go there if it's wetter than anywhere around.
A Jay
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Postby kjbeath » Mon 25 Sep, 2017 8:16 am

A Jay wrote:
kjbeath wrote:Plus Barrington is a lot wetter than anywhere around.

I heard Barrington has subtropical rainforest in the south-east part of Barrington Tops? So that would be quite wet I guess?

When you say Barrington is wetter than anywhere around, where are we comparing to, is it wetter than say Wattagans, Wollembi, and Blue Mountains? I like wet rainforest so I'd definitely plan to go there if it's wetter than anywhere around.

The section with rainforest is the lower altitude area. This is an area for day walks

Barrington on the Eastern and central areas would be wetter than the other areas you mention. Western side is a bit drier but still has a lot of creeks. The central area, the plateau is where most people do overnight walks. It is a subalpine environment.
kjbeath
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Return to New South Wales & ACT