Katoomba to Mittagong Water?

NSW & ACT specific bushwalking discussion.
Forum rules
NSW & ACT specific bushwalking discussion. Please avoid publishing details of access to sensitive areas with no tracks.

Katoomba to Mittagong Water?

Postby A Jay » Mon 25 Sep, 2017 12:32 am

How much water is there on the hike between Katoomba and Mittagong, do we regularly come to creeks and stuff. How much water would I need to carry? I have a water filter so I can use creeks or whatever.
A Jay
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Region: New South Wales

Re: Katoomba to Mittagong Water?

Postby Mark F » Mon 25 Sep, 2017 10:34 am

Depends on your route (there are two main routes and many variations), time of year and recent weather. Most of the time you are about half a day to a day between reliable water sources. Water from the Cox and Nattai definitely need treating
"Perfection is attained not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing more to remove".
Mark F
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: Australian Capital Territory

Postby Kent » Sat 28 Oct, 2017 2:44 pm

I walked from M'gong to K'mba last december and the walking along the Nattai is very difficult because of MAJOR flood damage. Large trees are down along the river bank downstream from the confluence of Nattai River and Wanganderry Creek.
Other than that area the nav and walking is easy. We treated all the water consumed except tank water at Yerranderie and the Kowmung.
Kent
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Region: Queensland

Postby rcaffin » Sat 28 Oct, 2017 2:58 pm

And skip the creek before Yerranderrie: it has arsenic from the old silver mine above it. Concentration may be low, but why risk it?

Cheers
Roger
rcaffin
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Return to New South Wales & ACT