Changes to NSW topo map prices - $16.25 in 2018

NSW & ACT specific bushwalking discussion.
Forum rules
NSW & ACT specific bushwalking discussion. Please avoid publishing details of access to sensitive areas with no tracks.

Changes to NSW topo map prices - $16.25 in 2018

Postby Allchin09 » Thu 02 Nov, 2017 10:38 pm

Looks like the price of topographic maps are set to increase by more than 50% from 1 January 2018. Might be worth placing some Christmas orders in order to stock up beforehand!

http://spatialservices.finance.nsw.gov. ... map_prices

Changes to Topographic Map prices
DFSI Spatial Services is adjusting our Topographic Map product pricing to more accurately reflect the cost of printing in today’s digital environment. As demand for printed maps has begun declining in recent years, the cost to produce per unit has risen.

As of 1 January 2018 the retail cost of a Topographic Map will increase to $16.25. Excluding CPI adjustments this is the first map price rise since 2010. The product you know so well will remain, and you will still receive the same great service and quick responses to all orders.

Our Topographic Map Catalogue and a digital PDF version of all our Topographic Maps are available free of charge from the Spatial Portal Map Store located at six.nsw.gov.au

If you have any questions or concerns please contact Spatial Services.

Phone: 02 6332 8287
Email: SS-SDS@finance.nsw.gov.au
Tackling the unknown and the awesome one adventure at a time!

Check out my latest trips at http://aoacblog.wordpress.com/posts
Allchin09
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Sydney Bush Walkers
Region: New South Wales

Re: Changes to NSW topo map prices - $16.25 in 2018

Postby johnw » Thu 02 Nov, 2017 10:48 pm

Thanks Alex, that's crazy. I'd like to think the quality would be better for that monumental increase but doesn't seem so.
I still love paper maps and need to replace some of my rattier ones...better do it soon then.
John W

In Nature's keeping they are safe, but through the agency of man destruction is making rapid progress - John Muir c1912
johnw
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Mark F » Fri 03 Nov, 2017 9:19 am

I expect they want to get out of holding stocks of printed maps - I don't blame them. They must have (tens of?) thousands of maps sitting around that nobody wants and slowly becoming out of date. Remember how long it took to change over from AGD to GDA - still not complete.

Download the FREE Geopdf of the map you want. Take it to OfficeWorks and get it printed for $7.20 on paper ($10.15 for heavy weight coated paper) or $19.00 onto tyvek for a water resistant and far more durable version. You could even get it printed doublesided with a different map on the reverse to cut the weight. Another plus is that you have a screen version of the map for planning and dreaming.
"Perfection is attained not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing more to remove".
Mark F
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: Australian Capital Territory

Postby MrFaulty » Tue 07 Nov, 2017 3:13 pm

I can handle the price increases - what I can't handle is the stupid paper they print them on now - what happened to the gold old mat paper!?
MrFaulty
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Postby michael_p » Tue 07 Nov, 2017 4:51 pm

MrFaulty wrote:I can handle the price increases - what I can't handle is the stupid paper they print them on now - what happened to the gold old mat paper!?

Agree. The newer map paper is rubbish.

As demand for printed maps has begun declining in recent years

This is sad.
One foot in front of the other.
michael_p
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Return to New South Wales & ACT