Water availability Mobbs Soak, Kanangra Crk, Dex Crk

NSW & ACT specific bushwalking discussion.
Forum rules
NSW & ACT specific bushwalking discussion. Please avoid publishing details of access to sensitive areas with no tracks.

Water availability Mobbs Soak, Kanangra Crk, Dex Crk

Postby Wurrawina » Thu 16 Nov, 2017 12:50 pm

As at mid Nov, there is no running water at Mobbs Soak, just one pool downstream. Kanangra Creek is dry except for a slimy green pool but there is water at Dex Creek.
Wurrawina
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Region: New South Wales

Re: Water availability Mobbs Soak, Kanangra Crk, Dex Crk

Postby ribuck » Thu 16 Nov, 2017 8:04 pm

Thanks for the update Wurrawina. I usually find water in the pool near the cave. Is that the pool you found?

Looking at the map, it occurs to me that most of the swamp is downstream from that point. Maybe water is to be found a little further downstream at the next junction, where the water drains from the swamp. I will check that out next time I'm in the area, although I suspect the vegetation will be thick.

Screen Shot 2017-11-16 at 09.51.07.png
Screen Shot 2017-11-16 at 09.51.07.png (46.06 KiB) Viewed 4225 times
ribuck
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: Other Country

Postby DaveNoble » Thu 16 Nov, 2017 9:05 pm

Wurrawina wrote:As at mid Nov, there is no running water at Mobbs Soak, just one pool downstream. Kanangra Creek is dry except for a slimy green pool but there is water at Dex Creek.

Did you check all the length of Kanangra Creek? I doubt that the whole creek is dry. Often creeks are dry near junctions where they flow into larger streams (they can flow underground beneath boulders).

There has been recent rain in that area (and more forecast).

Dave
DaveNoble
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby rcaffin » Fri 17 Nov, 2017 6:21 pm

I do remember almost running down the length of Kanangra Ck (Murdering Gully to Coxs R) one summer. The rocks were dry everywhere and covered in white dessicated lichen. We got water at the Coxs R that time. Fortunately the Kowmung still has good water now.

Cheers
rcaffin
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby ribuck » Thu 30 Nov, 2017 7:26 pm

ribuck wrote:Looking at the map, it occurs to me that most of the swamp is downstream from that point. Maybe water is to be found a little further downstream at the next junction, where the water drains from the swamp. I will check that out next time I'm in the area

I checked it out yesterday. It was easy enough to make my way downstream, but there were only two more little ponds before the creek became completely dry (even though the vegetation around it became moist and green).
ribuck
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: Other Country

Return to New South Wales & ACT