Rain impact - Grand Canyon Track - Blackheath

NSW & ACT specific bushwalking discussion.
Forum rules
NSW & ACT specific bushwalking discussion. Please avoid publishing details of access to sensitive areas with no tracks.

Rain impact - Grand Canyon Track - Blackheath

Postby wildwanderer » Sat 18 Nov, 2017 10:32 am

I was thinking of doing the grand canyon track in the next day or so as the full restoration has now been completed. http://www.bluemountainsgazette.com.au/ ... lackheath/

At at what rainfall level does the track become unsafe/dangerous? Has been a bit of rain overnight and will be more today.

This gauge http://anero.id/weather/station/katoomba is reporting 20mm at narrowneck so far for friday and today. The BOM gauge hasnt updated since Friday lunchtime for some reason.
wildwanderer
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: New South Wales

Re: Rain impact - Grand Canyon Track - Blackheath

Postby DaveNoble » Sat 18 Nov, 2017 2:13 pm

I think the track would be quite safe in just about any water level. It crosses the creek on very large blocks. And in the very unlikely event that it is too high - then easy to back off. Going down the canyon itself (abseiling and swimming etc) is a more serious undertaking in high water levels. Note also that here is a dam higher up in the creek - so fluctuations are not as big as other creeks after rain.

The closest rain gauge would be Mt Boyce, and I think there is another one at Blackheath as well (check the BOM climate data online) - but these are updated only at the end of each day (which for the BOM is 9 am the next morning. The BOM day is from 9 am to 9 am). Also worth a look is the rain radar operated by BOM - click on the buttons for "since 9am" and "24 hour" ( - the previous day from 9 am up to 9 am the day you look ). Blue Mts Council have automated online weather stations at Katoomba and Springwood (but at present don't work for me -a flash problem?). And if all these fail - look at the Scenice railway webcam to see if it is raining and how heavily.
DaveNoble
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby johnw » Sat 18 Nov, 2017 2:41 pm

Agree with Dave, all the work done on that track I think has made it quite safe. I actually preferred the unimproved version, which had a more adventurous feel to it. To spice it up a bit one of my favourite short day circuits is to go from Evans Lookout down the Horse Track to the vicinity of Junction Rock, head up the Rodriguez Pass then take the Grand Canyon track to Neates Glen and back to EL. In/after heavy rain though at least one creek crossing on Rodriguez Pass might be awkward.
John W

In Nature's keeping they are safe, but through the agency of man destruction is making rapid progress - John Muir c1912
johnw
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby wildwanderer » Sat 18 Nov, 2017 3:24 pm

Thanks. Appreciate the detailed info.
Even though Ive been down in the Grose on many occasions Ive never done the classic Grand Canyon track.
Looking forward to it.
wildwanderer
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby tom_brennan » Mon 20 Nov, 2017 9:38 am

As Dave mentioned, there are two dams in the upper catchment. Unless the lower dam is full, the track is likely to be safe in all conditions, and if not, should be obvious.
http://www.waternsw.com.au/supply/dam-l ... dam-levels
Bushwalking NSW - http://bushwalkingnsw.com
tom_brennan
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby wildwanderer » Thu 23 Nov, 2017 7:28 am

johnw wrote:Agree with Dave, all the work done on that track I think has made it quite safe. I actually preferred the unimproved version, which had a more adventurous feel to it.

I did the grand canyon track a couple of days ago. Agree! The amount of metal fencing they have put in does detract from the experience. I understand that many tourists do the walk but the many safety barriers seemed a bit excessive.
wildwanderer
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby ribuck » Thu 23 Nov, 2017 8:18 am

wildwanderer wrote:The amount of metal fencing they have put in does detract from the experience.

The Parks authorities are becoming the biggest despoilers of the natural environment.
ribuck
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: Other Country

Postby jeremyw » Sat 25 Nov, 2017 9:01 am

Anyone know a good[cheap] way to get out to blue mountains and stay a few days?

I want to do a few of these good day trips but don't like the idea of a 4-5 hour train ride either side of a 2 hour walk.

Would taking the car and staying at a camp site be the best option?
jeremyw
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby ribuck » Sat 25 Nov, 2017 9:26 pm

Jeremyw, depending where you are coming from, it doesn't need to be a 4 hour train ride. Sydney to Katoomba is 2 hours, and there are good walks from closer stations such as Glenbrook, Faulconbridge and Springwood.

There are a few free campgrounds in the mountains, though more easily accessible by car than by train. Or just do a multi-day bushwalk starting from a station (e.g. Grose Valley from Blackheath).
ribuck
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Return to New South Wales & ACT