Main Range Track - Wilkinsons Creek

NSW & ACT specific bushwalking discussion.
Forum rules
NSW & ACT specific bushwalking discussion. Please avoid publishing details of access to sensitive areas with no tracks.

Main Range Track - Wilkinsons Creek

Postby wyndham29 » Tue 12 Dec, 2017 12:49 pm

Hi all, planning on doing the Main Range track over Summer. I've done a little reading, and from what I've seen the track is pretty well marked, with the track notes off WildWalks being sufficient (don't worry, I've got a topo map just in case). The plan is to camp overnight in Wilkinsons Creek. I was just wondering, is the turnoff to the creek/ valley signposted?
wyndham29
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Region: New South Wales

Re: Main Range Track - Wilkinsons Creek

Postby wyndham29 » Tue 12 Dec, 2017 1:39 pm

May have answered my own question by reading the comments on WildWalks; seems it's not signposted. However, the comments were quite old so if anyone has more recent knowledge let me know
wyndham29
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Postby Mark F » Tue 12 Dec, 2017 1:54 pm

Last time I was there it wasn't signposted. Signage is really is irrelevant as it is obvious that when you get anywhere into Mueller Pass that you can just turn west and wander down to the creek. There is an old 4wd formation that skirts the north-western side of the ridge running off Koscuiszko as it descends towards the creek - the start of this is not obvious if walking along the track or maybe I am blind :D . This leads to some exposed but nice sites at the creek edge while there are a couple of more sheltered options a bit further up and away from the creek in the lee of a couple of large rocks.

Do treat the water as many people camp in the area.
"Perfection is attained not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing more to remove".
Mark F
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: Australian Capital Territory

Postby wyndham29 » Tue 12 Dec, 2017 1:59 pm

Mark F wrote:Last time I was there it wasn't signposted. Signage is really.....

Thanks mate, good to know! Yeah, I thought it was going to be fairly busy, based on the day we're there, so we'll definitely be treating the water I think.
wyndham29
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Postby Lophophaps » Tue 12 Dec, 2017 5:33 pm

The Main Range Track is a four lane highway.

There's an on-off pad-track from Muellers Saddle (no signpost) all the way to Townsend. Once past level with Muellers Peak there's a few terraces high in the valley with water, reasonable camping. It's important to camp in the lee of rocks, preferably on the east or south side. Last time I was there I had big rocks very close on three sides (one guy rope was hooked over a rock) with a fourth side a few metres away. it was very windy. Step outside the tent site and i was nearly blown over.
Lophophaps
Auctorita modica
Auctorita modica

Region: Victoria

Postby north-north-west » Tue 12 Dec, 2017 7:09 pm

Lophophaps wrote:The Main Range Track is a four lane highway.

There's an on-off pad-track from Muellers Saddle (no signpost) all the way to Townsend. Once pastlevel with Muellers Peak there's a few terraces high in the valley with water, reasonable camping. It's important to camp in the lee of rocks, preferably on the east or south side. Last time I was there I had big rocks very close on three sides (one guy rope was hooked over a rock) with a fourth side a few meters away. it was very windy. Step outside the tent site and i was nearly blown over.

It's very good camping up that way, far better than down by the creek in my opinion, but be sure to pitch (and dig catholes) below the track to Townsend. Above the track and over the ridge is all considered to be part of the Lake Albina catchment where camping is prohibited.
"Mit der Dummheit kämpfen Götter selbst vergebens."
north-north-west
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Social Misfits Anonymous
Region: Tasmania

Postby crollsurf » Wed 13 Dec, 2017 6:31 am

As others are alluding to, there are a lot better camping spots than Wilkinsons, mainly because others provide spectacular views. From my ski touring days, Wilkinsons was known as a site that offered some protection in bad weather. So unless the weather is bad, I would recommend elsewhere. My favourite is off Twynam, in the headwaters of Strzelecki Creek, overlooking the Sentinel. There is a protected spot there also, just before the creek drops away into the valley.
crollsurf
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Zapruda » Wed 13 Dec, 2017 3:37 pm

crollsurf wrote: My favourite is off Twynam, in the headwaters of Strzelecki Creek, overlooking the Sentinel. There is a protected spot there also, just before the creek drops away into the valley.

Shhh keep that spot secret :)

Truly, one of the best places to pitch a tent on the whole main range.
Zapruda
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: Australian Capital Territory

Postby rcaffin » Sat 16 Dec, 2017 7:29 pm

The Main Range Track is a four lane highway.
There's an on-off pad-track from Muellers Saddle (no signpost) all the way to Townsend. Once past level with Muellers Peak there's a few terraces high in the valley with water, reasonable camping. It's important to camp in the lee of rocks, preferably on the east or south side. Last time I was there I had big rocks very close on three sides (one guy rope was hooked over a rock) with a fourth side a few metres away. it was very windy. Step outside the tent site and i was nearly blown over.

WilkinsonCkSnowSmall.JPG
WilkinsonCkSnowSmall.JPG (46.23 KiB) Viewed 6879 times

Well, yes, today it is a bit of a highway. And the turnoff into W valley is a bit more obvious too.
Those are the really big rocks at the bend in the creek, with Townsend in the background.

Cheers
Roger
rcaffin
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Return to New South Wales & ACT