Track closures - National Pass, Wentworth Pass, Vera Falls

NSW & ACT specific bushwalking discussion.
Forum rules
NSW & ACT specific bushwalking discussion. Please avoid publishing details of access to sensitive areas with no tracks.

Track closures - National Pass, Wentworth Pass, Vera Falls

Postby wildwanderer » Thu 21 Dec, 2017 8:33 pm

I attempted to do a Wentworth falls circuit today following the track via Vera and Hippocrene Falls but was met by large track closure signs.

National Pass - Closed: This was already closed.
Wentworth Pass - Closed: New closure
Vera Falls & Hippocrene Falls Track - Closed: New closure.

The recent rockfall during the National Pass safety work where the workers lost their lives (Rest in Peace guys) has caused the parks service to mark out a huge exclusion zone.
Maybe I’m wrong but the new zone just seems incredibly excessive.

Unless the entire cliff face falls (and all the tourist tracks above with it) it’s not going to effect the Vera Falls track. I seriously doubt falling rocks from the danger area could effect Wentworth Pass either but I can see some slight reasoning in being extra super cautious. National Pass is right under the cliff, so I understand that closure.

Empress Canyon still open… so if that is open why is the Valley of the Waters track down to Vera Falls closed? It’s the same track and Empress Canyon is at the start next to the cliffs.

If they are worried about a truly titanic fall then why is the Over and Undercliff track still open? (its right above the cliffs…) Just seems somebody is covering their butt rather than being sensible about things.
wildwanderer
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: New South Wales

Re: Track closures - National Pass, Wentworth Pass, Vera Fal

Postby DaveNoble » Thu 21 Dec, 2017 8:45 pm

The track closures are on the NPWS alerts page and are understandable given the circumstances. There seems to be a fair bit of unstable rock in the area, particularly just above the half way ledge, and it may be that some of the tracks like National Pass never reopen. The tracks above it (Overcliff and Undercliff tracks) are not in the danger zone (rocks fall down not up) and likewise for Empress Canyon - rocks don't fall sideways and then uphill. But rocks could fall down and roll as far as Vera Falls. Hopefully this closure is only temporary until the area is assessed.
DaveNoble
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby wildwanderer » Thu 21 Dec, 2017 8:57 pm

DaveNoble wrote:The track closures are on the NPWS alerts page and are understandable given the circumstances. There seems to be a fair bit of unstable rock in the area, particularly just above the half way ledge, and it may be that some of the tracks like National Pass never reopen. The tracks above it (Overcliff and Undercliff tracks) are not in the danger zone (rocks fall down not up) and likewise for Empress Canyon - rocks don't fall sideways and then uphill. But rocks could fall down and roll as far as Vera Falls. Hopefully this closure is only temporary until the area is assessed.

Agree to disagree. Im sure there is some risk.. walking out your door is always risky. Im happy to stay away from a severe danger zone and agree with the national pass closure.

Some remote chance that a large boulder could roll all the way to the vera falls track and stike someone shouldnt cause a track closure. Put a up sign and warn of a potential danger but I disagree with blanket prohibition. I dont need to be covered in bubble wrap by the state.
wildwanderer
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Warin » Thu 21 Dec, 2017 9:02 pm

wildwanderer wrote: Just seems somebody is covering their butt rather than being sensible about things.

I'd rather have them more cautious than they were. Perhaps the previous person who was making the decisions has been replaced with someone who knows less but is taking their role with considerably more though of safety and consequences. Given time, experience and a coroners verdict this may change.
Warin
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Xplora » Fri 22 Dec, 2017 5:45 am

Once at Vera falls you have to walk up and out and that could be the problem. The closure may be for a time so they can assess any other danger. Likely it is some butt covering but what is wrong with that? We would be very critical of NPWS if a rock fall caused another death and they had not reacted to the first. You can of course ignore the notice at your own peril.
Xplora
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: Victoria

Postby wildwanderer » Fri 22 Dec, 2017 6:39 am

Xplora wrote:Once at Vera falls you have to walk up and out and that could be the problem. The closure may be for a time so they can assess any other danger. Likely it is some butt covering but what is wrong with that?

I suspect I come from a different philosophical angle. I believe a person should be informed and then allowed to make their own choice. Exceptions to areas of significant and imminent danger and I’m happy to accept the area immediately below the cliff line aka National Pass is an exception where a prohibition is appropriate.

Xplora wrote:We would be very critical of NPWS if a rock fall caused another death and they had not reacted to the first. You can of course ignore the notice at your own peril.

That’s the thing.. I wouldn’t be. If NPWS provide the information and a person makes a informed choice. Then it’s their choice. Unfortunately you can’t ignore the track closure signs. If you do, they will fine you.
wildwanderer
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby crollsurf » Fri 22 Dec, 2017 7:04 am

I think it is more than covering your butt. Imagine if you reopened the tracks and then a rock slide claims another victim. Not something I would want to live with.
crollsurf
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Return to New South Wales & ACT