Cottan-Bimbang, Willi Willi, Gibraltar walk recommendations.

NSW & ACT specific bushwalking discussion.
Forum rules
NSW & ACT specific bushwalking discussion. Please avoid publishing details of access to sensitive areas with no tracks.

Cottan-Bimbang, Willi Willi, Gibraltar walk recommendations.

Postby mandragara » Fri 22 Dec, 2017 5:30 pm

Hi friends,

I'm looking to explore the bush north of Newcastle to about Coffs Harbour. I was wondering if you had any walk suggestions, as it's hard to find information on these areas. I'd like deep gorges, high peaks or lush vegetation ideally. An off track daywalk would be ideal, or a rougher trail.

I have a capable car (Forester + better tyres and a plate) and a solid amount of bushwalking experience (I've done solo overnight off track in Upper Colo etc). I know how to practice minimal impact walking and I carry my personal waste out, if that matters.

Cheers guys, merry XMas!
mandragara
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: New South Wales

Re: Cottan-Bimbang, Willi Willi, Gibraltar walk recommendati

Postby Neo » Fri 22 Dec, 2017 5:44 pm

G'day it's kinda my backyard but have been on the road and have only explored Werrikimbe NP a little.
First on my list is to get to My Banda Banda for a one nighter. Is via Beechwood(Wauchope).

I did start a trip info thread for Werrikimbe last Autumn so have a search for that and add any tracks you find.

Also in the area is the paid hut-to-hut Green Gully Track and another one you access via the inland Hwy.

The whole Oxley Wild Rivers NP between Port/Kempsey/Dorrigo on the coast across to Armidale/Mt Kaputar area in the New England will have heaps depending on the level you seek. Hopefully my future playground :)
Neo
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby mandragara » Sat 23 Dec, 2017 8:18 pm

Thanks Mate,

Yeah Banda Banda looks great. Think I'll camp nearby then try and climb up the east side.
mandragara
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Neo » Fri 05 Jan, 2018 7:20 pm

Picked up this great brochure today from an NP shop (didn't have the Banda Banda topo in stock). Shows some camp spots and short walks in the Cottan-Bimbang NP general area.
I'll probably check out the Tia Falls area in the next few days while it's stopped raining.
Second photo is of an interesting walk from the brochure, a 75km piece of the BNT. Think it's time that I started a to-walk-list :)
Attachments
IMAG5399.jpg
IMAG5396.jpg
Neo
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Neo » Fri 05 Jan, 2018 7:29 pm

Also had a look at the Willi Willi topo. Not many roads or tracks through there! Pretty wild stuff, a spot named Willi Willi Caves sounded intriguing and would have to be walked to.
Neo
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby crollsurf » Fri 05 Jan, 2018 7:34 pm

Gibraltar Range National Park Heritage walk you can do it easy in 2 days but it's pretty boring. The side tracks are good though so good area for base camping and day walks. The Washpool Track is the highlight and worth going there for that walk alone.
crollsurf
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Neo » Sun 07 Jan, 2018 12:40 pm

Have been for a look west along the Oxley Highway from the Pacific Highway.

Cottan-Bimbang: no particular walks noticed. There are several side trails and rest stops from which you could drive and walk in to explore. Looks like a good area to choose-your-own adventure. Can get fuel at Gingers Creek cafe at the top of the escarpment.

Mummel Gulf NP: an excellent campsite here 12km off the Hwy. Was super low on fuel so didn't explore much. Here is a photo from the viewing point, you could go exploring for the ruined hut. I parked here overnight, no others. Nicest pit toilet ever. A mix of gum trees and fairly open undergrowth so could be good for off-track nav. No cicadas.

Tia Falls: a nice multi-drop falls and the small camping area looks OK, well maintained by the Ranger. Tia River gully has really steep sides with rock slides. Hot and dry.

Aspley Falls: OK and worth a look. It was hot and I was lazy, can drive right up to the viewing platform 20m. Here there is a staircase going down into the slate gorge. Potential for a swim and to go exploring and find a bivy spot down there. Hot and dry. Camp area looks OK and plenty of parking.
Neo
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Neo » Sun 07 Jan, 2018 12:42 pm

Oops. View south of Mummel and info sign.
Attachments
IMAG5446.jpg
IMAG5450.jpg
Neo
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby ofuros » Sun 07 Jan, 2018 2:28 pm

Neo wrote:Also had a look at the Willi Willi topo. Not many roads or tracks through there! Pretty wild stuff, a spot named Willi Willi Caves sounded intriguing and would have to be walked to.

Intriguing indeed...
Mountain views are good for my soul...& getting to them is good for my waistline !
https://ofuros.exposure.co/
ofuros
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: Queensland

Postby awildland » Fri 12 Jan, 2018 7:20 pm

Hey Neo. Sorry we only saw your post today. And it looks like you might have finished your trip??? But if still looking for ideas check out our blog as we spent many years living and walking (mostly off-track) around Coffs Harbour and are currently based near Barrington Tops. Lots of ideas and stories there. We have not done much in Cottan-Bimbang and only a small amount in Werrikimbe (would recommend Kemps Pinnacle) but heaps around Coffs and Dorrigo and Oxley Wild Rivers. (Awildland.blogspot.com.au).
awildland
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Neo » Fri 12 Jan, 2018 7:59 pm

awildland wrote:Hey Neo. Sorry we only saw your post today. And it looks like you might have finished your trip??? But if still looking for ideas check out our blog as we spent many years living and walking (mostly off-track) around Coffs Harbour and are currently based near Barrington Tops. Lots of ideas and stories there. We have not done much in Cottan-Bimbang and only a small amount in Werrikimbe (would recommend Kemps Pinnacle) but heaps around Coffs and Dorrigo and Oxley Wild Rivers. (Awildland.blogspot.com.au).

Hey no, future playground! I'm away a lot lately so Willi Willi and Oxley Wild Rivers will be up my sleeve!

I've seen your back-o-werrikimbe log and Kemps, one of the only ones out there. I hope to add more info about the area.
Going south next week so hoped to see a bit of Barrington, maybe go by My Royal NP to thevupper Colo but I'm thinking the bush starts to look all the same..?
Cheers
Neo
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby awildland » Fri 12 Jan, 2018 8:04 pm

Mt Royal definitely worth doing. Lovely ridgeline walk.
awildland
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby mandragara » Sun 14 Jan, 2018 8:07 pm

Wow, never expected to see my little post at the top of the sub-Forum!

@Neo

Thanks for the info, ended up doing my plan of walking around Mt Banda Banda. Didn't quite make it to the top but a nice area and good experience overall! I found the terrain rougher than the topo suggested, I dawdled along at 1km an hour or so.

@awildland

Checking your blog out now!
mandragara
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Return to New South Wales & ACT